Your top 5 platforms?

Anything to do with games at all.
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostYour top 5 platforms?
by Garth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Rank your personal top 5 platforms from 1-5 (1 = favourite!) and give reasons for your choices please. This includes home consoles, handhelds and PC.

I'll turn this into a GRcade top 10 once the topic dies down :D

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your top 5 platforms?
by Glowy69 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Do you want them in order garth?

1. 360
2. Cube
3. N64
4. Saturn
5. Dreamcast.

Reasons listed below. I'm lazy sorry. :(

Dreamcast - first console I ever bought with my own cash. Stupidly excited. And shenmue was worth it.

Cube - it just worked. No online gaming to speak of, it's main selling point were it's games, gutted it didn't succeed as well as it deserved to, Zelda, Mario kart, REmake. They're enough to make me buy a console. Utterly brilliant. Indestructible.

N64 - goldenyeye and zelda

Saturn - panzer dragoon saga..and burning rangers.

Xbox 360 - brought me into online gaming. And some epic times with guys on here.

Last edited by Glowy69 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 pm

glowy69 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:37 pm wrote:Do you want them in order garth?

Yes please :D

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:44 pm

1. Dreamcast - Never been so hyped for a console launch, great memories and such a diverse line up

2. PS1 - So many great series started here; Resi, Tomb Raider, MGS, GT, Tekken, WipEout, ...

3. Saturn - Coincided with Sega's arcade glory years, my first taste of 3D graphics and CD quality audio

4. Xbox - Introduced me to online gaming with Halo 2

5. N64 - Mario 64 :wub:

Yoshimi
Joined in 2008

by Yoshimi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:50 pm

1. PC - Master race. From playing graphic adventures on my 386 to my current gaming PC and 200+ games on Steam.

2. SNES - Stood the test of time. Zelda LTTP, Mario World, etc.

3. 3DS - Such a great library of games. DS was great, and 3DS was a powerful upgrade and kept backward compatibility.

4. Vita - Dat OLED, true console gaming in a handheld. Not the largest library of games, but Persona 4 Golden.

5. 360 - Although its collecting dust now, it was my first introduction to HD gaming and plenty hours spent over the years.

mic
Joined in 2008

by mic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Disclaimer: Nick, you were right - it's hard to choose only five (and I was just winding you up, sorry).

WiiU - Finally, a console my children love as much as I do. If the wii succeeded in involving the whole family, this one knocks it out of the park! And playing my games in bed? Golden. :wub: And the best is (probably) still to come!

SNES - Probably the console I've spent the most time with, mastering a wide variety of titles from Mortal Kombat, (1,2 & 3!) to Super Mario Kart and Super Bomber Man. And it JUST KEPT GIVING, releasing games that had no right to run on such old hardware, like Star Fox, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the Donkey Kong series.

GC - REMake, RE0 and then RE4 and the rest of the series ON ONE CONSOLE? GTFO!

N64 - I can still remember the wow factor of seeing Mario64 for the first time, and then AGAIN actually playing it! So many gems that simply weren't possible on disc-based systems... and no loading times! Also, the analogue pad! Rumble! 4-player split screen! :wub: :wub: :wub:

DC OR 360 - RE:Code Veronica is probably my most anticipated game of all time and it didn't disappoint, either. Also, the Capcom fighters, first console with a browser (anyone still use Exc!te?), so many arcade-perfect conversions (at a time when that still meant something)... but still, the graphics didn't wow in the same way that they did with N64, and I felt that some of the SEGA franchises didn't translate so well into 3D, such as Sonic or Echo. SO...

...I'll go with 360. The Halo series (Legendary only, of course) is enough on its own, really, but also worth mentioning the introduction to HD...

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm

1. N64 - owned one during the time I was most into gaming. Lots of quality (Zelda, Mario, Rare's best efforts, lots of platformers, and some unique titles too), some of which remain favourites of mine, lots of hype via N64 magazine (and no real internet news, or certainly not like today), playing multiplayer with friends...just the ultimate package really.

2. Playstation - again, during my gaming heydey. Huge breadth of genres and titles, genuine excitement and creativity during the push into 3D, FMV, etc. Some defining games.

3. 360 - the first real platform where I had the money to buy whatever I wanted, and there were/are loads of quality games, a lot of which I'm still to play. I don't care about online or multiplayer, but there's enough decent single-player experiences and brilliant arcade and retail games to make it one of the best.

4. PS2 - memories of multiplayer with friends, huge library, something for everyone.

5. PC - has pretty much been a constant from early 90s and Doom to last year when I got rid of my gaming PC. Some of my favourite experiences and games - Mafia, Morrowind, Half-Life 2 - have been on PC.

Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

by Trelliz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 pm

1. PC Cheaper games, variety, mods, infinite back compatibility, emulation. PC master race indeed.

2. N64 First console, so much fun playing many classic games that I still remember to this day.

3. PS2 A step up from the above, when gaming for me really began to pick up.

4. Wii U A recent addition, so many fun games and lots of stuff that really stands out.

5. PS3 My first previous-gen console, Motorstorm Mondays :wub: plus good exclusives and my introduction to blu-rays.

jawa2 wrote:Tl;dr Trelliz isn't a miserable git; he's right.
PuppetBoy
Joined in 2008

by PuppetBoy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 pm

1. Gamecube - This was my teenage years. Bought it from launch and it was my primary machine for that generation. Such a great list of games if you're a Nintendo fan. Also, NGC magazine - it was like being part of an exclusive club.

2. N64 - Christmas day with Mario 64. Christmas day with Ocarina of Time. Christmas day with Majora's Mask. I strawberry floating loved it I did. Also, Rare :wub:

3. Playstation 2 - It had to play second fiddle to the 'Cube for me, but take away my Nintendo fandom and this had the most ridiculously vast selection of awesome games you could get.

4. 3DS - I'm so into my 3DS. I still play New Leaf every other day and I have half a dozen awesome games I'm still rotating, dipping in and out of and need to finish off.

5. 360 - Loads of quality games. I never really took to Live but there's loads of decent singleplayer games.

Mommy Christmas
Multiball!
Joined in 2009

by Mommy Christmas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Speccy 128k
Sega Master System
N64
Sega Megadrive
GameCube

:dread:
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Garth » Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:34 pm wrote:Rank your personal top 5 platforms from 1-5 (1 = favourite!) and give reasons for your choices please. This includes home consoles, handhelds and PC.

Garth. You can't ask this question and not answer!

1) Amiga. Explosion of home computing. Brilliant games. Shareware. Productivity software that really worked. Octamed. This delivered on the promise of home computing. Oh and that Batman the Movie bundle.

2) Nintendo 64. Hardly any games. N64 mags were skinny and lacked reviews. But this is epic because of the hundreds of hours playing multiplayer GoldenEye, Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing with friends. Oh and PilotWings, Super Mario N64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time.

3) Windows 95 PC. The start of the computing revolution going mainstream. Netscape and Internet connectivity! IRC chat! Golden era of gaming. Everything from Bullfrog and LucasArts seemed star kissed. And Civilisation II, Baldur's Gate and Broken Sword.

Honourable mentions. Megadrive for arcade gameplay at Home and Sonic the Hedgehog. PS1 for the launch of so many classic franchises. PS2 for GTA, becoming a bona fide console standard, and mainstreaming DVD everyone seemed to have one. Xbox 1 for multiplayer Halo and online Halo 2.

Direar
Joined in 2013

by Direar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 pm

pc
pc
pc
pc
pc

Dblock
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery

by Dblock » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Dreamcast- I've never been hyped about something as I was with this console. Could literally not sleep the night before sleep :lol:

Xbox Original- Blew my mind, wasn't expecting much of it but it shitted on PS2 Which I personally didn't enjoy.

Sega Genesis- My child hood best friend

Xbox 360- Introduced online gaming properly to me. I believe it is the best console ever released.

N64- Loved it, Loved it, loved it. I hope Nintendo can go back to their N64 glory days.

''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Couldn't agree more Venom, the Windows 95 era (1995-2001) really was the glory days of PC gaming, so many unique games, loved RTS and point-and-click back then.

Nowadays PC gaming is just console gaming with a higher resolution and frame-rate :(

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:29 pm

NickSCFC » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 pm wrote:Nowadays PC gaming is just console gaming with a higher resolution and frame-rate :(

Super Dragon 64
Joined in 2008

by Super Dragon 64 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 pm

NickSCFC wrote:Couldn't agree more Venom, the Windows 95 era (1995-2001) really was the glory days of PC gaming, so many unique games, loved RTS and point-and-click back then.

Nowadays PC gaming is just console gaming with a higher resolution and frame-rate :(

What a foolishly foolish thing to say, even for a foolishly foolish fool.

mic
Joined in 2008

by mic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Make a decision. (Edit - @ Venom)

Also, to all those who chose it, PC is not a console - FACT.

Last edited by mic on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 pm

No one used the word console.

mic
Joined in 2008

by mic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 pm

True...

Spindash
Joined in 2008

by Spindash » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 pm

1. Dreamcast - best startup sequence in the history of video games, first experience of online gaming, and loads of great, original games
2. Mega Drive - first console, Sonic, myriad of sports games that don't stand up now but I loved them at the time
3. PlayStation - huge selection of fantastic games of all types
4. GameCube - Tom Nook
5. Xbox - the stealth successor to the Dreamcast

Return to “Games”