Watch_Dogs - PC, PS4, XO, WiiU, PS3, 360 - Out 27th May 2014

Anything to do with games at all.
Adam Ash
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Watch_Dogs - PC, PS4, XO, WiiU, PS3, 360 - Out 27th May
by Adam Ash » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:20 am

Just finished the campaign in this. Can't say I was ever invested in the story, it wasn't bad but it just never clicked with me. Aiden is just so dull.

I've had fun with this for the most part, but it does run out of ideas and the illusion of hacking soon fades and toy realise you're just constantly mashing square to win by the end.

Learning Curve
Joined in 2014

by Learning Curve » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:52 am

The Witcher

The Witcher 2

Pretty impressive for four years difference.

Andrew Mills
Guides Sec.
Joined in 2008

by Andrew Mills » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Learning Curve » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:52 am wrote:The Witcher

The Witcher 2

Pretty impressive for four years difference.

Dat Hacking :datass:

cooldawn
Joined in 2008

by cooldawn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Adam Ash » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am wrote:Just finished the campaign in this. Can't say I was ever invested in the story, it wasn't bad but it just never clicked with me. Aiden is just so dull.

I've had fun with this for the most part, but it does run out of ideas and the illusion of hacking soon fades and toy realise you're just constantly mashing square to win by the end.

Same. Finished it last night and it was getting very tired. Completed it on the hardest difficulty without the need to unlock Crafts or upgrade abilities. I've still got all my upgrade points!

If played by stealth I really do think this is the wests version of Metal Gear Solid. Not too optimistic about and open-world Phantom Pain now :dread:

The best thing about this game was how stable it was. The only time it dropped any frames for me was when I got the mission summary and the GUI popped-up snippets of information. The rest was gravy.

I haven't touched any of the side missions, activities or downloaded my exclusive content yet so there plenty to be getting on with but as far as the main game goes, fun as it was getting through by stealth, it's wasn't a memorable experience overall.

"Race drivers don't really care how fast they're going..we keep going faster and faster until we approach that limit of control and that's when we balance ourselves..that's how we make good time."
JOHN FITCH
1950's Le Mans driver
Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:27 pm

The story in this is so broken.

Suddenly (being vague) it's announced to the world Aiden Pierce is the Vigilante known as "The Fox" (wtf. Until Act 4 Chapter 2 no one had ever called me that) and suddenly Civies everywhere start calling the police on you...

But they've been talking on the radio about Aiden Pierce for donkey's years (including, on the way to the mission, about how my neice was killed by a mob hit, and I have a sister).

Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:59 pm

There's a news broadcast which plays in Act 2/3 which goes "THE POLICE ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY IN THE SEARCH FOR THE VIGILANTE, AIDEN PIERCE, DUE TO THE PUBLIC SUPPORTING HIM" with a picture of you and everything.

I'm struggling to motivate myself to finish this but I need the harddrive space

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:13 am

And done with the story, not sure I want to go back and finish all the side activities.

As others have mentioned the poorly defined story/characters/themes really hamper it (certainly for someone like me who's pretty much all about story). I dread to think what mess it must have been in a year ago to delay it.

While individual elements are fun, the poor wrapping really makes it feel much less than the sum of it's parts.

I'm sat watching the credits with news videos etc (minor thematic spoilers!)

So much of this was barely covered in game. You could work out the Rushmore stuff from loads of side video logs, but the exspansion of CTOS and Blume's intentions were glossed over, if touched at all.

I'm meant to be concerned about CTOS 2.0? Aiden's been all for CTOS, and has invaded more people's privacy than anyone ever. The game shys away questioning the nature of the surveillance system (even endorsing it!) until it needs to.

I'm also not sure why I should care so much about DeadSec. They, via Clara, gave me a code...but other than that they contributed nothing until popping up at the end saying "Make us gods. give us 30s!". I know so little about them or their motives (again some side logs expanded this a bit more) I couldn't give two strawberry floats about what he chose, and then to be threatened with "war" in the credits - bah. So little fecks given

I really really like Chicago though, and I thought it was generally graphically impressive - the activities they put in though aren't really varied enough. They didn't want to be SR/GTA/Sleeping Dogs, and did their own thing. But their own thing wasn't "big enough" to replace the elements they left out. (If that makes sense)

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Purchased off ebay for £30 (!) brand new on PS4. Shall see how it goes...

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for putting Spoilers in Spoiler tags guys. Great job.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Side missions etc can they be done after the main campaign ?

Minto
Joined in 2009

by Minto » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Lagamorph » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:10 pm wrote:Thanks for putting Spoilers in Spoiler tags guys. Great job.

Yeah this. I'm only on act II here.

PSN: MintKorp - NNID: Mintoisking
Irene Demova
Joined in 2009

by Irene Demova » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Lagamorph » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:10 pm wrote:Thanks for putting Spoilers in Spoiler tags guys. Great job.

It's not a spoiler at all, the random radio segments in the game just suddenly learn your name; nothing happens with the plot there.

Learning Curve
Joined in 2014

by Learning Curve » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:42 am

There are only three basic types of side mission.
1. Beat up this guy by getting past his gang.
2. Outrun the police in this vehicle.
3. Ambush this guy in a vehicle.

Aside from that, everything else is basically a set of collectibles. No real reason to keep playing once you have completed the main story.

Minto
Joined in 2009

by Minto » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:06 am

I'm actually enjoying this. It helps that I've only played a few hours in each week since launch.

Spent about 2 and a half hours today unlocking all the CTOS points in the different parts of the city and a few story missions. The song selection in this game is strawberry floating terrible and why does the song change when you get out of your car for like 20 seconds and then get back in?

What I do love about this game is the combat, sneaking into a gang hideout and killing everyone without alerting them is always fun but the silenced pistol makes it almost too easy.

PSN: MintKorp - NNID: Mintoisking
Irene Demova
Joined in 2009

by Irene Demova » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:59 am

Learning Curve » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:42 pm wrote:There are only three basic types of side mission.
1. Beat up this guy by getting past his gang.
2. Outrun the police in this vehicle.
3. Ambush this guy in a vehicle.

Aside from that, everything else is basically a set of collectibles. No real reason to keep playing once you have completed the main story.

Doesn't help that the rewards are just shitty audiotapes most of the time either

Adam Ash
Joined in 2008

by Adam Ash » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:15 am

Having finished the story, I spent some more time online last night. I think the 1 vs 1 online tailing/hacking games are actually really good. I didn't realise the game doesn't alert you when you are being tailed, only hacked. I was pissing about just shooting pedestrians last night, trying to raise my wanted level and I shot a driver in the car behind me, turns out it was a player tailing me! Was very cool and slightly unnerving!

Managed to complete 10 online tailing missions. I find the online hacking a lot harder, but very satisfying when you pull it off.

Will spend a few more nights with this, do a few more side-activities but as someone said they're not really worth doing once the story is over and then send this back to Boomerang.

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:19 pm

The first gif with the god rays looks identicle to the game on X1, the other shots are clearer/better.

Mr Yoshi
Joined in 2008

by Mr Yoshi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm still enjoying this, have to say. The car chases are great and the shooting mechanics are brilliant. I play it for three or so hours probably once a week, so that might be it, and the fact I was never really hyped for the release. Think the second will build upon some of the solid mechanics with more variety and a visual polish and could end up being a big hit.

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm playing online Hacking A LOT, had lots of EPIC FAIL moments but its seemless online (in hacking and tailing modes only). I was high up on a roof top, looking to unlock gate for those cTOS towers when I turned around and right in front of me was someone who was tailing me, I let out a shriek and mashed the joypad and he ran off, when I managed to compose myself and pick an assault rifle he had made way down and was running down street, in the mayhem I jumped off building to my death. :fp:

At the same time, when someone hacking you and you notice them its epic....seen a lad just in the distance reversing a boat, never seen an NPC do that so out with the rifle and a few shots and boom I got him. The tense times when hiding and someone looking for you, I had a lunatic run about shooting a grenade launcher at everything, he just missed me but searched everywhere (it was out in open more or less) except behind a horse cart, he even came right over but never looked behind. Another one was driving a van down alley and getting on top of it to reach a roof, then was watching on a camera as he eventually spotted the van and jumped up on it, I went back to character, jumped down ran out onto street from different alley and walked back PAST the original one as he ran past looking for me. :datass:

Whats the craic with the hacking, before I actually initiate hacks, some people online seem to know im about.

Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Who wrote this pish?

The changes in mood are absolutely mental. Damien rings you up and lets you talk to your sister and she starts teasing and joking with you. You joke back and then put the phone down and reiterate that he wouldn't hesitate to kill her. :|

instagram: @habiz

Return to “Games”