Game of Thrones (TV) - US Pace - NO BOOK DISCUSSION (that means NO BOOK DISCUSSION)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Denster
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Game of Thrones (TV) - NO BOOK DISCUSSION - UK PACE SPOI
by Denster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:28 pm

The only issue is where they have changed timelines and brought stuff forward as it may hint at stuff later on. I'd stick to PM's as opposed to putting it in a spoiler box as people dont want to read stuff by accident. I'm happy to help out with PM ing duties as well if people are interested in the differences so far.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

by Memento Mori » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:35 pm

Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:03 pm wrote:Could you stick it in here in a spoiler box if you want to do that. It's something I'm always looking for info on but it's difficult without coming across spoilers.

People don't want book discussion in here so I'll just PM it to anyone who desires. I wrote far more than I intended and still left out loads. :lol:

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Memento Mori » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:35 pm wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:03 pm wrote:Could you stick it in here in a spoiler box if you want to do that. It's something I'm always looking for info on but it's difficult without coming across spoilers.

People don't want book discussion in here so I'll just PM it to anyone who desires. I wrote far more than I intended and still left out loads. :lol:

Copy me into that, Mori. I always like to read your musings on it.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Oh you. :wub:

1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm interested, PM please.

Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:39 pm

If there's no future spoilers I'd like a copy please.

Donate to the Ukrainian Military's fight against fascism.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi

Contact your MP to voice support for Ukraine
Crimson
Joined in 2008

by Crimson » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Ecno » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:39 pm wrote:If there's no future spoilers I'd like a copy please.

Yeah, same here.

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Pretty good that. Cheers Mori. I'd forgotten some of that. Especially the Oberyn stuff.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Yeah it's a really detailed narrative so it's easy to forget some details and then there's the really subtle stuff which is hinted at but might not be true at all.

1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:48 pm

There are no spoilers. Thanks MM, I only remember the major events from the book.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:49 pm

You are both welcome.

Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Thank You, interesting stuff.

Donate to the Ukrainian Military's fight against fascism.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi

Contact your MP to voice support for Ukraine
Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Just read the pm. Thanks for that. Makes a lot of things clearer. I've read how a few recent changes from the book may mean that the show starts to take a different path in some respects to the book, ie either not killing certain characters or something. I don't really have any issue with this as I've not read the books and I understand that it's an adaptation and not a faithful following of the books.

Shoe Army
Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Apologies if seen already. Fan's reactions to the Mountain VS Viper Denoument. :lol:

It's a Draw. :mrgreen:

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:22 am

Who the strawberry float records themselves watching a TV show? banana splits.

The scene was pretty mental. Can't believe how violent some of the bits in this season have been.

Luboluke
Joined in 2008

by Luboluke » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:29 am

Previous discussion. not a spoiler
Denster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:25 pm wrote:
Luke_25 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:39 pm wrote:
1>3>4>2 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:35 pm wrote:
Denster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:43 am wrote:Killing off popular characters is hurting the show? Yeah in a show that's all about plots, intrigues and betrayals - lets only kill off the ones no one likes - it will be believable and what's more it'll make for great drama!

What the strawberry float?

This. It'd be the same as every other boring show with invincible leads. This show makes it feel real in that things go wrong, people do die and plans don't always end the way you'd think.

Not that I think people shouldn't die at all, The Wire is the best example, every death feels natural and that's just way things turned out for that particular person. Whereas sometimes in GoT for me it actually comes across as people being killed off simply because they're popular and for shock value instead of story progression. The Wire also injected each new season with a host of brilliant new characters which this season of Thrones hasn't done for me at all, one of the few new characters was Oberyn, and now he's gone. I also go back to my point about there being no central conflict in the show since Rob's death, if the Red Wedding had kicked off a whole new story path for this season I wouldn't be criticising it, instead it feels like something's missing because nothings really happening anymore.

No central conflict?

The Starks have been splintered so you have separate stories now for the remaining ones -Bran, Sansa and Arya all look like they will have important roles to come. The issue of the north remains at debate and you still have Stannis and Daenarys who will be providing the central conflict. The Red wedding removed a major army and strengthened the Lannisters but it has lead to even more plotting and intrigue. The death of Joffrey and inculpation of Tyrion and the knock on effects of these - including thew death of Oberyn.
Speaking of which as that's the most recent example of a death for shock value. Oberyn came to King's landing to stir up trouble and seek vengeance. It's not like he came to the wedding and happened to be really cool and funny and then they offed him. It was never going to end well for either him or his foes. He chose to fight in the duel because he knew it would afford the chance for both vengeance and information. Sadly he died but it was not meaningless or has no consequences - he is a prince of Dorne after all.
This season has been all about the aftermath of the Red Wedding and where it left the main protagonists. As such the deaths have meaning and considerable impact because - it's more real and consitent with a medieval world in turmoil that has a heavy reliance on warfare.

The fact is - no one is safe and that is a large part of what makes it compelling.

The game of thrones is a dangerous game - you play it or you die.

Unfortunately I think so yeah. Take your point on a lot of that though. I wish that were true about Stannis and Denaerys, but Stannis is obviously rebuilding since Blackwater (when he was the central conflict vs Tyrion) and didn't even appear in the last epsiode, and Deanayrs was literally doing someone's hair :slol: I jest. but her story has really come to a screeching halt for now. In fact I remember thinking after the Red Wedding "I hope Deanarys goes and absolutely fries every Lannister left :x " and then I was like, ahhh, that's why he did it, but since then no ones really challenged them and the feeling's worn off and no one actually cares about it anymore. Joffrey, that scene was so funny but I do miss him now.

One thing that my co-worker told me that gave me some encouragement about Oberyn (Book Spolier):

NO BOOK DISCUSSION - Skarj

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:28 am

Be interesting to revisit this discussion at the end of the season.

Jay Adama
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Jay Adama » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Does anyone know if Sky will be showing the final episode as a simulcast at 2am like they did with the opening ep?

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

by sawyerpip » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Could I get a copy of that PM please?

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:03 pm

smurphy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:22 am wrote:Who the strawberry float records themselves watching a TV show? banana splits.

I think it's usually friends recording who have read the book and know what's about to happen.

Return to “Stuff”