> Your console gaming journey

Anything to do with games at all.
jawafour
Joined in 2012

Post> Your console gaming journey
by jawafour » Sun May 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Your console gaming journey

Across GRcade we're lucky enough to have a range of forumites with a wealth of varied gaming tastes and experiences. This thread is where you can list your journey through the console generations and share your thoughts and memories.

- To add a bit of consistency to the journeys, I suggest we use the format of Generation number / Your main console / Your secondary console(s) / Any console(s) you didn't own at the time but acquired later. You could then note your reasoning and any other stuff that'd be cool to share!

- Click here to refer to Wikipedia's definition and breakdown of each console generation.

- If you'd like to add computer formats to your journey record then that's fine; it'd be helpful if you were able to place them within the same time-frame as the appropriate console generation.

OK, let's start enjoying the gaming journeys of GRcaders!

- - - - - - - - - -

This opening post will be updated with format / query answers as needed.

Super Dragon 64
Joined in 2008

PostRe: > Your console gaming journey
by Super Dragon 64 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Each generation's consoles/handhelds are listed in the order I bought/was given them:

1. N/A
  2. N/A
  3. N/A
  4. N/A
  5. N64
  6. GameCube, PS2. The PS2 was mainly for games that didn't come to the GameCube but I'd have happily gone through the generation with just the GameCube. I think that I only completed Jak 2, Smackdown HCTP and San Andreas on the PS2.
  7. Wii, PS3, XBox 360, PC. Once I got the 360, I rarely used the PS3 until quite recently when I decided to catch up on the exclusive games that I'd missed. I used my laptop to play some PC games, mainly KOTOR and CS:S until I buil my gaming PC in 2012.
  8. PC, Wii U. I built my first gaming PC in the Summer of 2012, just before the Wii U started the new console generation. I've always used it to play multiformat titles and it does a great job of emulating GameCube and PS2 titles. I'll get a PS4 if Project Beast is exclusive to it, otherwise I'll be PC/Wii U for a long time.

• DS, PSP. I actually bought the PSP only a couple of years ago.
  • 3DS. There's nothing that really interests me on the Vita so I doubt that I'll buy one.

Last edited by Super Dragon 64 on Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sun May 25, 2014 1:16 pm

In order of purchase...

3. NES
4. MegaDrive, GameGear
5. Saturn, PlayStation
6. Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, DS
7. Xbox 360, PS3
8. PS4

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sun May 25, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 pm

NickSCFC » Sun May 25, 2014 1:16 pm wrote:In order of purchase...

3. NES
4. MegaDrive, GameGear
5. Saturn, PlayStation
6. Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, DS, Xbox, PSP
7. Xbox 360, PS3
8. PS4

You've bought a ps4 nick?

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Learning Curve
Joined in 2014

by Learning Curve » Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 pm

1. n/a
2. n/a
3. n/a
4. Sega Megadrive
5. N64
6. Gamecube, PS2, Xbox
7. Wii, PS3, Xbox 360
8. n/a

I do not have any current gen consoles now as I have sort of evolved into a PC gamer after building my own machine and everything; a sort of side consequence of the computer course I have been doing lately.

I do own a 3DS though.

Yoshimi
Joined in 2008

by Yoshimi » Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Spectrum 48k, then a 48k+
Atari STE
Amiga 500
Sega Gamegear
Nintendo Gameboy
Sega Megadrive
Super Nintendo
Gameboy Colour
PlayStation
Nintendo 64
Sega Dreamcast
PlayStation 2
GameCube
PSP
Nintendo DS Lite
Xbox 360
PlayStation 3
DS XL
Wii
3DS
Gaming PC
Wii U
PS Vita

...I think that's everything!

Edit: oh, GBA and GBA SP in there somewhere too.

Last edited by Yoshimi on Sun May 25, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Atari 2600
Acorn something something
Amiga 500/ Atari ST
Master system
Saturn/N64
GBA
GBA sp
Dreamcast
GameCube
Xbox
PS2
PSP
Nintendo DS
Wii
PS3
3DS
Xbox one

I've wasted some money :lol:

Games :wub:

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:29 pm

3. C64
4. Amiga 500
5. PC, N64 (bought after GC)
6. Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2
7. 360, Wii, PS3
8. Wii U, Xbox One, PS4

Past the 5th generation, I never really had a main gaming machine, so I've listed in order of purchase.
Gamecube was the first console I bought at launch.
I've had a gaming PC ever since the mid-late 90s when I stopped using my Amiga 500.

Favourite single (can't really count PC as I must have had at least 5 different PCs in the last 20 years or so) gaming machine would probably have to be the Amiga, I probably wouldn't be into games as much if it wasn't for that machine.

Last edited by HSH28 on Sun May 25, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sun May 25, 2014 1:30 pm

In the order I got them:

Amstrad cpc6128+
Mega drive
32X
Mega CD
Gameboy
Gameboy colour
N64
Playstation
GameCube
Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Gameboy advance
DS lite
Wii
Playstation 3
3DS
Psp
Vita
Xbox 360
3DS XL
Wii U

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Alpha eX
Joined in 2008

by Alpha eX » Sun May 25, 2014 1:38 pm

I didn't bother with the Saturn or PS2, have had every main since the NES though.

Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Sun May 25, 2014 1:51 pm

4. Sega Mega Drive
5. Gameboy Color
6. Gamecube, GBA, PS2 (didn't get a PS2 until a few years into generation 7)
7. 360, DS, PS3, PSP, Wii
8. Vita, 3DS

Generation 5 and 6 were my younger PC gaming days. Back to PC gaming now after seeing the light and it feels goooood. :datass:

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sun May 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Third gen Main - Sega Master System; Computer - Commodore VIC 20, Commodore 64
Fourth gen Main - Sega Mega Drive; Secondary - Super Nintendo; Computer - Commodore Amiga 1200
Fifth gen Main - Sony PlayStation; Secondary - Nintendo 64
Sixth gen Main - Microsoft Xbox
Seventh gen Main - Microsoft Xbox 360; Secondary - Nintendo Wii, Sony PlayStation 3
Eighth gen Main - Nintendo Wii U; Secondary - Sony PlayStation 4

Handheld - All Nintendo - Game Boy; Game Boy Color; DS; DSi XL; 3DS; 3DS XL

The journey...
In earlier years I had played on Atari 2600 systems belonging to pals, but the Sega Master System was my first console back in 1986. Hang-On and My Hero were the first games I picked up and both were on Sega Card, which is still an amazingly cool format. Prior to the Master System I'd played games, like most UK gamers at the time, on computer formats, with the Commodore machines being my choice.

In 1990 I was totally hyped for the new 16 bit machines and I splashed out for an imported Sega Mega Drive. It was the Asia model which played UK, Japanese and USA format cartridges - it was incredible. Alien Storm and Sonic were my initial games and they were a real step up from my previous machines. In 1992 I was lucky enough to get a Super Nintendo. This was an excellent machine but, for me, I enjoyed the 'arcade' feeling of the Mega Drive just that little bit more.

When the original Sony PlayStation arrived in 1995... wow! Games on CD, fast polygon graphics, steaming audio - the machine made a big step up in both technical and image perspectives. I bought Ridge Racer and Destruction Derby as my first games and I was stunned by the graphics and the sound. Gaming had suddenly become 'cool' and most of the lads at my workplace owned the system, even those who had not previously been into videogames. In 1998 I also grabbed a Nintendo 64 on the back of seeing International Superstar Soccer and GoldenEye; by the end of the year Zelda Ocarina had arrived and my love affair with the N64 started.

And then Microsoft arrived on the scene. The Xbox was such a powerful machine with a built-in hard drive; amazing console technology at the time. I resisted for a while and then picked up the machine and Burnout 2 in 2003. I really enjoyed the Xbox and it was the one console that I had during that generation; I never felt the need to go for a PS2 or Gamecube.

The seventh generation became the first time I went all out multi-format; with the Xbox 360 (and a copy of Bioshock!) in 2007, then the PS3 and finally the Wii. I wasn't a fan of the Wii at all as I'd only experienced atrocious 'party' games on friends consoles... but then I played things like Excite Truck, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Super Mario Galaxy and everything changed in my perspective. This was an amazing generation; long-lasting and packed with stunning games. For me, the Xbox 360 just wins out on the back of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas; they stand as two of my favourite games. Then again, the PS3 has provided me with my all-time most played games - Pro Evo Soccer 2013 and 2014 - so it is a really tough call to make.

We're now leaping into Gen 8 and I arrived early with the Wii U (it is current-gen, honest!). It is a great machine and, for me, the community spirit and Miiverse is what really makes it stand out from my previous consoles. I've been fortunate to pick up a PS4 too and I love the potential of this machine.

A few years ago I went through a phase of collecting some videogame stuff and so I have had the chance to play on systems that I missed out on at the time they were released. Two of my favourites are the Sega Mega CD and 32X devices; they were the wrong thing at the wrong time at the wrong price... which makes them all the more luscious to enjoy today. The Sega Mega Drive / CD / 32X setup looks an absolute beast when it's in front of the TV... I love the look of it!

May the journey continue for a long time :-).

Last edited by jawafour on Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sun May 25, 2014 1:58 pm

I used to have my mega drive/cd/32x unit on my desk just because it looks like a beast :wub:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sun May 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Wow! There has been loads of great journey details shared already! I'll have a good read through and then update :-).

floydfreak
Joined in 2008

by floydfreak » Sun May 25, 2014 2:09 pm

NES
SNES
N64
PS2, XBOX
PS3

kommissarboris
Joined in 2009

by kommissarboris » Sun May 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Xmas 89 IIRC Gameboy / amstrad 464+
Bday 90 NES
Xmas 91 Megadrive
Bday 93 Supernintendo
Xmas 93 Gamegear / Amiga 1200
Xmas 95 Sega Saturn
Xmas 97 N64 / Gameboy pocket

After those I started to earn my own money and buy them myself and lost track of them. I know certain consoles like the Wii or 3DS were day 1 buys, but for the most part I picked them up when I could, other than the Dreamcast most were bought within a year of release.

Around 2008 - 2010ish I collected a load of old consoles, CDI, 3DO etc.

Last edited by kommissarboris on Sun May 25, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.
Skippy
Joined in 2008

by Skippy » Sun May 25, 2014 2:19 pm

5. N64
6. PS2, Gamecube, DS
7. Xbox 360, PS3, Wii
8. PS4, Wii U (coming this week)

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Sun May 25, 2014 2:24 pm

In order of purchase/ received as gift

1/ None
2/ None
3/ Sega Master System
4/ Megadrive
5/ 32X, Saturn, N64, Playstation (first console I bought)
6/ Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox
7/ Xbox 360, PS3
8/ None

Handheld - Gameboy, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBA, GBA SP, Gameboy Micro, DS, DS Lite, PSP, 3DS

Dinoric
Joined in 2008

by Dinoric » Sun May 25, 2014 2:29 pm

C 64
Nes
Game boy
Snes
N64
Gameboy Colour
Gameboy Advance
Gamecube
DS
Wii
3DS
Wii U

And then I finally broke free from the Nintendo Habit and got a PS3 last September in time for GTA5. And now my next console will be the PS4 at Christmas.

PatSharpsMullet
Joined in 2008

by PatSharpsMullet » Sun May 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Displayed in order of when I got them.
1:
2:
3:
4: Atari 520STE, Mega Drive II, Game Gear - Mega Drive was my main console.
5: Saturn, Playstation, Game Boy Colour - The Saturn started off as my main console until I bought the Playstation.
6: Playstation 2, GBA, Gamecube _ The Playstation 2 was my main console for the whole of this generation.
7: PSP, XBox 360, Wii, DS Lite, Playstation 3 - The 360 started of as my main console with a gradual changed over to the PS3 once more games had been released for it.
8: 3DS, PS Vita, Wii U, Playstation 4 - The PS4 is currently my main console.

Return to “Games”