Nintendo to spotlight 'a new 3DS game' at special E3 event

Anything to do with games at all.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Nintendo to spotlight 'a new 3DS game' at special E3 eve
by HSH28 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Alvin Flummux » Mon May 19, 2014 8:46 pm wrote:I think the 3DS is the ideal platform for a 2D Metroid adventure, but there's no reason at all why it couldn't also be released on the Wii U E-Shop. Well, I suppose if the 3D were flogged to death it might not happen, but I don't think they'd do that.

There's also absolutely no way they'd make a full 2D Metroid game and release it only on the Wii U eShop.

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Mon May 19, 2014 10:15 pm

HSH28 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 pm wrote:
Alvin Flummux » Mon May 19, 2014 8:46 pm wrote:I think the 3DS is the ideal platform for a 2D Metroid adventure, but there's no reason at all why it couldn't also be released on the Wii U E-Shop. Well, I suppose if the 3D were flogged to death it might not happen, but I don't think they'd do that.

There's also absolutely no way they'd make a full 2D Metroid game and release it only on the Wii U eShop.

Yeah, not a chance. I think, given the fact that it isn't Nintendo's biggest moneyspinner, and a fully 3D Wii U version would be prohibitively expensive to make, that we're much more likely to see it on 3DS, if at all.

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Mon May 19, 2014 10:20 pm

They could potentially put it on 3DS and Wii U like that black gate Batman game, cross buy :shifty:

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 pm

HSH28 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:59 pm wrote:

The word 'also' means nothing to you does it? :lol: I was suggesting it may possibly be released on the 3DS and the Wii U e-shop, but that'd only happen if it sold well enough.

The Alchemist Penguin
Joined in 2008

by The Alchemist Penguin » Mon May 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:

The word 'also' means nothing to you does it? :lol: I was suggesting it may possibly be released on the 3DS and the Wii U e-shop, which really isn't that big of a leap to make.

It's a bigger leap than it might seem, considering Nintendo haven't yet demonstrated (or even shown the slightest desire to create) a cross platform engine. There are actually a few reasons why it would be a pain to release it on Wii U, but from a purely money perspective the vast majority of people who would buy it likely already own a 3DS (or at least, are unlikely to own a Wii U but not a 3DS) and so the time and cost of porting it doesn't seem worthwhile. Also better to charge full price at retail on one format, than try to juggle a full priced 3DS release with the pricing expectation of a Wii U eShop exclusive title.

Much better to take the time and effort and make a 2D Metroid with the same love and care the likes of A Link Between Worlds got, really.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Alvin Flummux » Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 pm wrote:

The word 'also' means nothing to you does it? :lol: I was suggesting it may possibly be released on the 3DS and the Wii U e-shop, but that'd only happen if it sold well enough.

I think its a grammatical ambiguity actually, you can read it as 'as well' or 'they could also (instead of)'.

Anyway its irrelevant as that's not going to happen either, it'd be a huge shift for Nintendo to release a game for 3DS and then also purely as a Wii U eShop title.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 pm

The Alchemist Penguin » Mon May 19, 2014 5:44 pm wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:

The word 'also' means nothing to you does it? :lol: I was suggesting it may possibly be released on the 3DS and the Wii U e-shop, which really isn't that big of a leap to make.

It's a bigger leap than it might seem, considering Nintendo haven't yet demonstrated (or even shown the slightest desire to create) a cross platform engine. There are actually a few reasons why it would be a pain to release it on Wii U, but from a purely money perspective the vast majority of people who would buy it likely already own a 3DS (or at least, are unlikely to own a Wii U but not a 3DS) and so the time and cost of porting it doesn't seem worthwhile. Also better to charge full price at retail on one format, than try to juggle a full priced 3DS release with the pricing expectation of a Wii U eShop exclusive title.

Much better to take the time and effort and make a 2D Metroid with the same love and care the likes of A Link Between Worlds got, really.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that, but I amended the post when I did.

Return to “Games”