Nintendo to spotlight 'a new 3DS game' at special E3 event

Anything to do with games at all.
Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: Nintendo to spotlight 'a new 3DS game' at special E3 eve
by Memento Mori » Fri May 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Seriously though if this is Metroid Dread I'll be ecstatic.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Super Mario 3D Land 2 would be nice.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Sat May 17, 2014 12:39 am

It has been over a decade since we last saw a new 2D Metroid that furthered the series' story (Fusion), and just about exactly a decade since Zero Mission came out.

A lovely new side-on Metroid game would do me very nicely. It's long overdue.

Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Sat May 17, 2014 1:00 am

What is Metroid Dread?

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Sat May 17, 2014 1:06 am

A fear of Metroids.

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Sat May 17, 2014 1:12 am

HSH28 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 pm wrote:
rudderless » Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 pm wrote:And it's not Pokémon either. If it was, they'd just say so. It's already been announced, so why be secretive about it?

Build up hype, its possible there's either something about the game they haven't announced...of course it could always be another different Pokémon game.

If it's getting a developer session, as with Smash Bros, it's almost certainly coming out before the end of the year. It's not going to be another Pokémon game.

There's always a possibility it could be Youkai Watch and Nintendo's going to publish it over here, but this feels to me like a top-tier Nintendo title, whether it's something new or something like Metroid or 3D Land 2 or similar.

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
Supachipz
Joined in 2008

by Supachipz » Sat May 17, 2014 3:55 am

For Nintendo to dedicate a whole session to this, it should be huge. Their three biggest franchises by far are Mario, Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Smash is getting a session itself, while Mario Kart will have just been released for Wii U. That leaves us with Mario.

Could this be Mario Galaxy 3 for 3DS? It's probably a better fit for Wii U in all honesty but surely they won't go back to the well with the 3D Land games so soon?

Other options are of course Majora's Mask (why would you need a Q and A session about a remake?), the Figurine title (that we know will launch on Wii U first), Metroid (which Nintendo have been teasing with) or a new IP (but why dedicate Q and A to an unknown game when every bit of information about it would be new).

Very intriguing!

Edit: Thinking about it more I could see this being a 3DS 2D Metroid running on the Donkey Kong Country Returns/ Tropical Freeze engine: imagine those graphics!

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sat May 17, 2014 8:30 am

If it's metroid my nipples will explode with delight

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
MagicMarker
Joined in 2014

by MagicMarker » Sat May 17, 2014 9:40 am

Tragic Magic » Sat May 17, 2014 1:00 am wrote:What is Metroid Dread?

A cancelled 2.5D metroid game for the original DS. Someone working there has stated that it could easily be reactivated at any point.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:46 am

rudderless » Sat May 17, 2014 1:12 am wrote:
HSH28 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 pm wrote:
rudderless » Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 pm wrote:And it's not Pokémon either. If it was, they'd just say so. It's already been announced, so why be secretive about it?

Build up hype, its possible there's either something about the game they haven't announced...of course it could always be another different Pokémon game.

If it's getting a developer session, as with Smash Bros, it's almost certainly coming out before the end of the year. It's not going to be another Pokémon game.

There's always a possibility it could be Youkai Watch and Nintendo's going to publish it over here, but this feels to me like a top-tier Nintendo title, whether it's something new or something like Metroid or 3D Land 2 or similar.

Maybe not a mainstream one, but a spinoff (a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game for example). Of course it could be.

Just thinking of anything big enough it could be that would be completely uninteresting to me.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sat May 17, 2014 10:03 am

Ad7 wrote:If it's metroid my nipples will explode with delight

:dread:

I'm not going to get myself excited over this. It will probably be disappointing.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sat May 17, 2014 11:38 am

PatSharpsMullet wrote:Super Mario 3D Land 2

They've already said they've begun work on a new 3D Mario game but didn't say the platform it would be on.

Yeah, I'd go with this. That 'new Mario' story had gone a bit quiet but a Mario 3D Land sequel sounds like a decent shout.

In my dreams I'd say 'New Metroid' (2D), F-Zero X (N64) conversion by Sega, or Zelda Majora conversion by Grezzo.

The Alchemist Penguin
Joined in 2008

by The Alchemist Penguin » Sat May 17, 2014 11:49 am

It's worth considering the type of game that could support a 90 minute roundtable discussion. For example, Nintendo's roundtable in 2011 covered Skyward Sword, 3D Land and some other single player games in the same window. Could you talk for 90 minutes about Metroid without just showing a huge part of the game?

Pokemon got one all to itself last year (iirc) because they went over the new mechanics, the engine etc. Smash gets one this year, because they'll be able to talk about the fighting mechanics, the connectivity and the new characters.

Nintendo usually have a general roundtable to cover their first-party games, so something like Metroid or Mario could easily be part of this roundtable while the "exclusive" roundtable is for something else. They usually don't announce their normal roundtable publicly either, so it's hard to know if they're planning to host that or not this year, but it's worth considering when predicting games.

Or it could all be nonsense, and it's just 90 minutes of them saying "We're sorry for Other M" as they reveal a sequel to Fusion. :shifty:

Dinoric
Joined in 2008

by Dinoric » Sat May 17, 2014 11:53 am

Hope it's not just a new brain training game.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sat May 17, 2014 11:57 am

The Alchemist Penguin wrote:It's worth considering the type of game that could support a 90 minute roundtable discussion...

AP, I had a pleasant little dream of F-Zero X appearing on the 3DS and your truth-bomb then shattered the image. Too much reality :-).

Alpha eX
Joined in 2008

by Alpha eX » Sat May 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Pokemon NFC game that connects with the Wii U version, my guess.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Sat May 17, 2014 12:02 pm

SquintyMcSquint » Sat May 17, 2014 5:03 am wrote:
Ad7 wrote:If it's metroid my nipples will explode with delight

:dread:

I'm not going to get myself excited over this. It will probably be disappointing.

Yeah, it'll probably be the billionth Mario game of the generation. Like we need more of those.

Yeah alright, they are good games, but Nintendo's saturating the market with them, while fans of anything else are left high and dry...

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Sat May 17, 2014 12:29 pm

No more Mario! :x

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Sat May 17, 2014 12:37 pm

3DS port of Galaxy?

Supachipz
Joined in 2008