Video Game Books

Anything to do with games at all.
St Nick
Joined in 2008

PostVideo Game Books
by St Nick » Mon May 12, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm looking for some recommendations for video game books.

Good books, either about video games, or based on video games. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Oh Teh Nose is my Buddy Brother :wub:
Osito
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Video Game Books
by Osito » Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 pm

What about 999: The novel?

KjGarly
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter

by KjGarly » Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 pm

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:36 am

Are you asking about Fiction, or non-Fiction books about or based on video games?

Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Wed May 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Masters of Doom is a good read but Jacked (by the same author) was a major let down.

Jay Adama
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Jay Adama » Wed May 14, 2014 6:54 pm

This, when it comes out, should be a must buy (if you're talking about non-fiction books about games):

http://readonlymemory.vg/sega-mega-driv ... cted-works

St Nick
Joined in 2008

by St Nick » Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 pm

HSH28 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:36 am wrote:Are you asking about Fiction, or non-Fiction books about or based on video games?

Both really, mainly non fiction though.

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

Oh Teh Nose is my Buddy Brother :wub:
Ario
Joined in 2008
AKA: Ario

by Ario » Thu May 15, 2014 6:09 am

If you're a Halo person, the first novel was pretty good. I think it was called The Fall of Reach.

ImageImage
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008

by Green Gecko » Sun May 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Trigger Happy, Simon (or maybe it was Stephen) Poole

"It should be common sense to just accept the message Nintendo are sending out through their actions."

❤ btw GRcade costs money and depends on donations - please support one of the UK's oldest video gaming forums → HOW TO DONATE
Joer
Joined in 2008

by Joer » Mon May 19, 2014 12:09 am

I've got these: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35834

bandwagon
Joined in 2010

by bandwagon » Mon May 19, 2014 12:32 am

Tragic Magic » Wed May 14, 2014 5:31 pm wrote:Masters of Doom is a good read but Jacked (by the same author) was a major let down.

Agree with that, Jacked was good at first when he was writing about the development of the first GTAs but then becomes mainly about Jack Thompson, which I hadn't got the book to read about.

Really liked Replay: The History of Videogames by Tristan Donovan, comprehensive and very readable.

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:14 pm

I was wondering if anyone had read any of these books?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0754 ... d_i=468294

I was reading some little articles on Edge's website about various consoles and handhelds and saw they were all excerpts from this. I'm surprised it doesn't even have a single review on Amazon yet. If it was on Kindle I'd have got it already, but as it's going to take up precious shelf space... anyone read it? Any good?

The other is this

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com/The-H ... Mario.html

Saw someone on GAF post a pic of this. Not got an approved account though so couldn't actually ask if it was any good. I've seen their History of Nintendo books praised, but not really interested in the pre-NES era stuff so haven't looked into this.

Chaos
Joined in 2008

by Chaos » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:46 am

Do not buy from Pixnlove they take your money and do not send your items. I waited 2 months for the history of sonic book even though it was in stock. They do not answer emails and I had to open a paypal dispute to get my money back. Avoid. Got the book from Amazon in the end but not the collectors edition as that was only available from Pixnlove :x

Miguel007
Joined in 2008

by Miguel007 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:24 pm

I've never had a problem with Pix'n'Love - just received the Mario Book on Saturday, haven't had a chance to dive in yet but as a gift for my patience and pre-order they included the Mario Goodies Book worth £25 on their site for free :wub:

I've received all their books I've ordered, only thing I dislike is the time they take to translate their books. Got my pre-order in for the Gunpei Yokoi book.

Return to “Games”