The Last of Us (PS3) - 17 million copies sold

Anything to do with games at all.
Samuel_1
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Last of Us (Naughty Gods) - PS3
by Samuel_1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Bearing in mind I love the Uncharted series; all 3 of them, it beats them all hands down.

Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.
Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm

zXe wrote:How much better is this game than Uncharted 3? because I got bored of that and still need to finish it. And then what about uncharted 2 which I consider to be the best PS3 game I've played thus far.

TLOU is made by the Uncharted 2 team. UC3 was made by another team :simper:

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm

zXe wrote:How much better is this game than Uncharted 3? because I got bored of that and still need to finish it. And then what about uncharted 2 which I consider to be the best PS3 game I've played thus far.

You got bored of Uncharted 3 :lol:

At what point? How could you think U2 is the best PS3 game and U3 is the worst? They're virtually identical

Saying how much better it is than U3 is pointless because they're totally different games. Having said that the story is better the gameplay is fresher and the world in which it's set is more interesting.

Time for adventure
Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:07 pm

They're not the same.

On the game play side Uncharted 3 had bullet sponge enemies and terrible combat pacing. Along with the story being written around the set pieces.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Last of Us > Uncharted 2 >>>>>>>> Uncharted 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 3.

Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

chalkitdown wrote:Last of Us > Uncharted 2 >>>>>>>> Uncharted 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 3.

This man gets it.

BTW this is on sale on the PS store for £17.99 for plus subs. £19.99 for everyone else.

zXe
Joined in 2008

by zXe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Herbi - Umm uncharted 3 (of what I played, probably half way through) is nowhere near as enjoyable as uncharted 2. UC2 was a rollercoaster ride all the way through and the combat sections, particularly the open battleground style sections where you took on a load of enemies either by stealth or full on gun fights were brilliantly done. There's something just lacking in uncharted 3. Also I never said uncharted 3 was the worst PS3 game, I don't even know what I would consider the worst PS3 game. UC3 will get finished at some point, but like I say I got a bit fed up with it. UC2 and UC1 I didn't stop playing until I got platinum in both.

Fade wrote:TLOU is made by the Uncharted 2 team. UC3 was made by another team :simper:

This makes everything more clear now.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 pm

zXe wrote:I don't even know what I would consider the worst PS3 game.

Resistance 2 & Killzone 3.

DaveDS
Joined in 2008

by DaveDS » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Fade wrote:TLOU is made by the Uncharted 2 team. UC3 was made by another team :simper:

The majority of creative team at Naughty Dog who worked on Uncharted 2 returned for 3 and are no doubt currently working on the PS4 Uncharted. Bruce Straley who was co director working under Amy Hennig, and Neil Druckmann who was a co-writer supporting Amy Hennig, were tasked with creating a new team, which they did, with Neil taking on a much more prominent creative role.

So it's a little misleading to suggest the Uncharted team switched to The Last of Us while a new team was set up for Uncharted 3, when in fact the opposite it true.

On a separate note. Uncharted 3 is fantastic. :D

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008

by Captain Kinopio » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:50 pm

zXe wrote:Herbi - Umm uncharted 3 (of what I played, probably half way through) is nowhere near as enjoyable as uncharted 2. UC2 was a rollercoaster ride all the way through and the combat sections, particularly the open battleground style sections where you took on a load of enemies either by stealth or full on gun fights were brilliantly done. There's something just lacking in uncharted 3. Also I never said uncharted 3 was the worst PS3 game, I don't even know what I would consider the worst PS3 game. UC3 will get finished at some point, but like I say I got a bit fed up with it. UC2 and UC1 I didn't stop playing until I got platinum in both.

Apologies, didn't realize I wrote that.

I'm just surprised you could get bored of U3 it has so many great set pieces even if it was a little all over the place and frustrating at times I was always compelled to keep going.

Time for adventure
DaveDS
Joined in 2008

by DaveDS » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:57 pm

zXe wrote:Herbi - Umm uncharted 3 (of what I played, probably half way through) is nowhere near as enjoyable as uncharted 2. UC2 was a rollercoaster ride all the way through and the combat sections, particularly the open battleground style sections where you took on a load of enemies either by stealth or full on gun fights were brilliantly done. There's something just lacking in uncharted 3. Also I never said uncharted 3 was the worst PS3 game, I don't even know what I would consider the worst PS3 game. UC3 will get finished at some point, but like I say I got a bit fed up with it. UC2 and UC1 I didn't stop playing until I got platinum in both.

How far did you actually get? I remember feeling similar for the first 3rd or so of the game on my first play through. I realised after finishing the game and then replaying that my feeling were largely down to expectations (of giant explosions every 2 minutes), and I actually really love the opening few hours of the game now. Yeah it's paced really slowly, but that was deliberate, and I think when taken as a whole it actually works well. Some of the later moments are also incredibly spectacular, and the whole sequence before during and after the cruiser is one of my favourite memories of the generation.

Also having played through UC2 recently for the first time in a long while, I think some people are remembering it wrong, for whatever reasons. There are just as many armored bullet sponge enemies (if not more) in that game, especially towards the end. Still fantastic though.

Anyway back to TLOU, might play through it again tonight, first time through i missed the Jak X arcade machine.

Adam Ash
Joined in 2008

by Adam Ash » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Nobody should be on the fence about this game, as others have said, if you like games you owe it to yourself to play this.

It easily stands head and shoulders above anything else I've ever played.

Gutted I can't experience this new DLC, gonna watch a YouTube play through so I can at least see it.

zXe
Joined in 2008

by zXe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Herbi wrote:

Apologies, didn't realize I wrote that.

I'm just surprised you could get bored of U3 it has so many great set pieces even if it was a little all over the place and frustrating at times I was always compelled to keep going.

Maybe bored is too strong, by I suppose it never carried me along in the same way. I'm pretty bad with getting through games these days, my habits change very quickly, so I usually have a few titles on the go. In fact AC4 is the first game I've completed in a good while. Like from start to finish. I will definitely go back to UC3. I do love the cut scenes and story sequences, they always are fantastically done. But gameplay wise there haven't really been anything that has really totally wowed me yet.. It was a good while since I last played it come to think of it. The burning building was pretty good. I might chuck it on later and see where I'm at...

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008

by Captain Kinopio » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:22 pm

If you haven't done the ship or airplane sequence then you owe it to yourself to go back and play it, both fantastic fun and the ship now is the most technically impressive thing Ive seen this gen. Whack down to Easy and enjoy, anything above Normal can get pretty infuriating.

Time for adventure
cooldawn
Joined in 2008

by cooldawn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Herbi wrote:I think ND have all but confirmed if they do revisit The Last of Us it won't be with Joel and Ellie

Someone on NeoGAF pointed out that there's geographical scope for stories in other parts of North America.

Personally I'd like to see a new story in the same infected world that has ties with Joel and Ellie either using the 'six-degrees of separation' concept or a 'myths and legends' type gig where they inadvertantly inspire others.

"Race drivers don't really care how fast they're going..we keep going faster and faster until we approach that limit of control and that's when we balance ourselves..that's how we make good time."
JOHN FITCH
1950's Le Mans driver
zXe
Joined in 2008

by zXe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm

I've definitely not done those sequences yet.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Herbi wrote:If you haven't done the ship or airplane sequence then you owe it to yourself to go back and play it, both fantastic fun and the ship now is the most technically impressive thing Ive seen this gen. Whack down to Easy and enjoy, anything above Normal can get pretty infuriating.

That strawberry floating ship ballroom fight on crushing :dread: :x

Respawning bullshit right there. Unlike uncharted 2 which got better the harder the difficulty, uncharted 3 was just piss poorly balanced. Looked fantastic though.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
PurplePenguin
Joined in 2008

by PurplePenguin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:15 pm

I really need to buy the DLC I need my fix.

zXe
Joined in 2008

by zXe » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:44 pm

So today (thx to Akai's suggestion) I managed to get a trade in value for 20 quid for GTA V (will get the inevitable pc version so not bothered) in Game and got £20 PSN store credit. Bought The Last of Us. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

ps. I will get back to UC3 eventually... promise.

Cosmo
Joined in 2010

by Cosmo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 am

Finished Left Behind earlier this evening. It was quite brilliant, Naughty Dog know just how to get you going. I really hope this isn't the last we see of Joel and Ellie though, because that would be tragic.

Return to “Games”