Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2013/14
by PES Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Recruiting managers to get you in the top 4 who have just been sacked by big clubs for failing to get top 4 is an interesting policy

Benzin
Joined in 2011

by Benzin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Tomous » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 pm wrote:Recruiting managers to get you in the top 4 who have just been sacked by big clubs for failing to get top 4 is an interesting policy

Sometimes a manager isn't the right fit for a club...

However, Moyes' best idea would be to go away for a bit, because I'm sure the Spurs fans will be excessively welcoming to him after this season...

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:57 pm

We'll take moyes if he fancies it. :shifty:

That's if lambert leaves of course.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Blue Eyes
Joined in 2011

by Blue Eyes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Poor Moyes. In don't think he's right for Spurs. I reckon his dourness would be best suited to Newcastle where he can make them into a more solid outfit.

degoose
Joined in 2008

by degoose » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:52 pm

As I said a few pages back I'd rather stick with Sherwood than have Moyes.Sherwood might not have the experience but he is learning and his points to game ratio is over 1.8 so far .if he can sort out the play against the main higher table rivals and turn the losses into draws and maybe some wins then bingo.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega"
Steam:degoose, Xbox:degoose v2 , PSN:degoose, Switch: 0760-2133-6729
PES Fan
Joined in 2008

by PES Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Benzin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm wrote:
Tomous » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 pm wrote:Recruiting managers to get you in the top 4 who have just been sacked by big clubs for failing to get top 4 is an interesting policy

Sometimes a manager isn't the right fit for a club...

However, Moyes' best idea would be to go away for a bit, because I'm sure the Spurs fans will be excessively welcoming to him after this season...

They hired AVB after he basically got Chelsea out the top four.

The dinosaur wouldn't be a good for for Spurs because he'd have to play decent football and give youth a chance. Same can be said about Newcastle in terms of style. Dinosaur would have to give youth a go at Villa.

Dinosaurs best bet is going abroad or getting a championship club promoted. I'd be surprised if Villa, Spurs or Newcastle give the dinosaur a chance.

Maybe Boro? Parksey loves him.

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Ramires has accepted his 4 game ban.

United seem to have received a thorough kicking today for how they handled the sacking. Media or specifically football writers deserve some flack as far as I'm concerned, they seem to have taken it upon themselves as a personal challenge for 2014 to see how quickly they could get him sacked. Some of the stuff in the Telegraph over the weekend was vicious.

Time for adventure
Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

There doesn't appear to be any sources or evidence in that story, just lots of "understands" and "believes"

Basically a load of rubbish.

That being said, it may well happen, and I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. For me A bad time at man utd doesn't cancel out all the good work he did at Everton.

Finiarél
Joined in 2010

by Finiarél » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Benfica- Juventus kicking off in 15 minutes.

glowy69 wrote:Being from the hood won't save you from an alien mate.
Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Finiarél » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 pm wrote:Benfica- Juventus kicking off in 15 minutes.

What a European match :datass:

A tie like that should demonstrate why the Europa league isn't a complete joke

Time for adventure
Finiarél
Joined in 2010

by Finiarél » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 pm

1-0 already.

glowy69 wrote:Being from the hood won't save you from an alien mate.
Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Well that didnt take long.

BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 pm

It should be a good match, this.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
teh bork
Joined in 2008

by teh bork » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 pm

PsychicSykes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:38 am wrote:
Denster » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:01 am wrote:No, but I enjoy watching football that entertains. When you pay money for a match live or to watch on television I want to see entertaining football, watching a side sit back and defend for 90 minutes, winning 1-0 thanks to the counter isn't enjoyable. People criticise Spain for being boring, but have you ever thought that if sides of equal quality actually went toe to toe, then the match would be much more entertaining as a result. The Euro 2012 final was an example of this, yes Italy got beaten badly, but it was a good game of football because they had a go, much more enjoyable than the World Cup finals of 2010 or 2006 where teams set out not to lose.

(Bork 2014.)

Bolded. It's ok to get dicked as long as you play the right way. A philisophy utilised by no successful team ever.
he also said that Real Madrid were like West Ham but with better players.

I find that similiar to saying a vauxhall and a Ferrari are the same because they have four wheels, an engine and are made of metal.

That section you quoted is just Bork saying he prefers when both teams play attacking football. I've bolded the relevant parts of the section you quoted. Enjoyment is subjective to a degree and I don't think that preferring attacking, passing football has any bearing on a concept of a right or wrong way to play.

I'm sure he'll be along later at some point to clarify this point at any rate.

What Sykes said basically. A passing and attacking game is more enjoyable to watch. A team will get dicked at some point, but how many games have you also seen end 2-2 or 3-3 or 3-2, because both teams have gone on the attack. Most people would argue that the 4-3 game between Liverpool and Newcastle was the most or one of the best games the Premier League has ever seen because both sides attacked. If you were to name classic Premier League matches or any football matches most people would go for high scoring matches, which are mainly due to sides that have played attacking, passing football, whether that's the possession way or playing attacking football, using the counter where both sides have been going on the attack. To me that's entertaining football, not a 1-0 win because you've sat back defending for 85 minutes and countered for 5. Again to base it slightly on West Ham, we played defensive, countering gooseberry fool against Hull, won 2-1 and the fans booed. We played Liverpool, actually tried to attack and pass the ball around, lost 2-1 the fans applauded the players off the pitch. Yes we want results, but we're also paying good money for entertainment and often a defeat after having a go and playing nice football is appreciated.

As for the Allardyce comments. If you read what I was saying, my point was it was the same tactics and strategy. I won't go over again as it's in the thread, but Madrid set up the same way that he sets up West Ham, defensive and trying to hit on the counter. Having endured that style of play for three years, I can safely say it isn't enjoyable to watch. Madrid having endured it under Mourinho last season obviously also had the same view.

Last edited by teh bork on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parksey
Joined in 2008

by Parksey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Herbi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 pm wrote:Ramires has accepted his 4 game ban.

United seem to have received a thorough kicking today for how they handled the sacking. Media or specifically football writers deserve some flack as far as I'm concerned, they seem to have taken it upon themselves as a personal challenge for 2014 to see how quickly they could get him sacked. Some of the stuff in the Telegraph over the weekend was vicious.

It was always going to be this year's big news story - how Moyes follows the Ferguson dynasty. As it stands, with him under-performing, the story plays right into the hands of journalists and almost writes itself. It was a dream for them, and obviously, they spin it their way to get as much hysteria out of it.

They'll have loved it. Moyes failing was the best result for them.

Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 pm

We all know that the media are full of wankers, so it is no surprise.

The employees who leaked the story is in the wrong as Moyes didn't even know he was sacked until next day. Man Utd embrassed themselves further more.

And Woodward seems to go scot-free.

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
Parksey
Joined in 2008

by Parksey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Wedgie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:48 pm wrote:We all know that the media are full of wankers, so it is no surprise.

The employees who leaked the story is in the wrong as Moyes didn't even know he was sacked until next day. Man Utd embrassed themselves further more.

And Woodward seems to go scot-free.

It isn't half as much of a story when the chief executive is at fault - that doesn't sell papers or get people calling in either. It's always the manager, even if the reality of the situation is that perhaps the chief exec, the players, the backroom staff and the manager are all partially to blame. It's always that one man's fault, isn't it?

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:17 pm

I do not want moyes at spurs. As degoose said I would prefer to keep sherwood. This is nothing to do with his time at united. When spurs have been linked with him before my position was the same then.

Shoe Army
Parksey
Joined in 2008

by Parksey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 pm wrote:I do not want moyes at spurs. As degoose said I would prefer to keep sherwood. This is nothing to do with his time at united. When spurs have been linked with him before my position was the same then.

It's depressing that Sherwood is almost inevitably getting dismissed in the summer too. There's no room for him to learn and take on board what has happened this year, and have a decent stab at a full season. When really, he hasn't done too badly given the circumstances. He's still pretty much just a caretaker manager, which is a bit unfair of him, but symptomatic of how the people in charge make decisions. He'll be gone and a big (probably foreign) name will come in for a few years.

I don't see why, having given Sherwood eight months, they can't let him grow into the role. It was always going to be a steep learning curve and a bit of a juddery season after the start they had and sacking AVB. Sherwood taking them into the CL was always going to be an almost-impossible task.

If Van Gaal isn't available, then replacing Sherwood with Moyes is just a pointless decision. I don't know why you wouldn't just stick with what you had and see how he fares next season.

Return to “Archive”