The Football Thread; transfer hype + stuff

Our best bits.
PES Fan
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2013/14
by PES Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Luiz at fault for Cech getting injured. And now injured Terry.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Chelsea players injuring themselves. :lol:

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Codename 47
Joined in 2008

by Codename 47 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 pm

PES Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:15 pm wrote:Is Moyes in charge of Atletico tactics? Just seems cross and cross.

I was going to say the same thing. They seem too content to just get the ball out wide and hoof a cross. They actually got some joy a few moments ago when they quickened the pace and did some one-touch stuff.

How the heck did Terry get injured there? It just seemed like he stood on Luiz's foot and then crumpled down in agony. Luiz is doing more damage to his teammates than Madrid it seems. :lol:

PES Fan
Joined in 2008

by PES Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Cech, Terry and Hazard potentially missing Sunday.

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Schürrle's hair is shocking.

Cosmo
Joined in 2010

by Cosmo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm

glowy69 » 22 Apr 2014, 21:19 wrote:Chelsea players injuring themselves. :lol:

Gives them the chance to get fondled by the physio.

teh bork
Joined in 2008

by teh bork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Luke_25 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 pm wrote:You think this Atleti team outclass Chelsea? Don't be daft. And yes Jose will be pleased, but he hasn't got a result yet, and anyone who thinks football is all about the result can't be a real football fan, and probably has never paid money to go and see a game. Not aimed at you Fin, the attitude just really frustrates me.

Of course not. I'm a big Jose fan, he's a prick at the best of times and the style against bigger sides or in important matches, especially away can't be considered pleasant to watch. But it's effective and it's brought a lot of success to various sides. His sides are also more than capable of playing some lovely stuff and they've been excellent to watch at points this season.

If people honestly think it's awful then spend £800 watching an Allardyce side all season, even more pragmatic, with none of the entertainment or results.

Blue Eyes
Joined in 2011

by Blue Eyes » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Lampard hid nicely there.

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 pm

"Referee has got to be strong here and not be swayed by the Athletico players"

Yeah, like the ref was strong against the Chelsea players wanting a second yellow for Chico last weekend. Lampard should be off.

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Azpilicueta has been a reet banana split there

Time for adventure
Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 pm

teh bork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm wrote:If people honestly think it's awful then spend £800 watching an Allardyce side all season, even more pragmatic, with none of the entertainment or results.

The Germans have a word for this. I think it's "lederhosen".

teh bork
Joined in 2008

by teh bork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm

GrinWithoutaKat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm wrote:"Referee has got to be strong here and not be swayed by the Athletico players"

Yeah, like the ref was strong against the Chelsea players wanting a second yellow for Chico last weekend. Lampard should be off.

Or how the ref should have been strong and not swayed by Chico's play acting to get Carroll sent off. ;)

Codename 47
Joined in 2008

by Codename 47 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 pm

This ITV commentary :lol: :fp: Townsend saying he didn't think it was delibrate...cue to replay's showing Lampard lunging forward with his arm to control the ball. He actually sounded like he was going to cry when he thought the ref was calling Lampard over to give him a second Yellow.

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 pm

teh bork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm wrote:
GrinWithoutaKat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm wrote:"Referee has got to be strong here and not be swayed by the Athletico players"

Or how the ref should have been strong and not swayed by Chico's play acting to get Carroll sent off. ;)

Nah, I agree Chico deserved to go, as did Carrol, and as did Lampard.

Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Shut up Andy Townsend when was the last time you tried an overhead kick?

Luboluke
Joined in 2008

by Luboluke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 pm

teh bork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm wrote:
Luke_25 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 pm wrote:You think this Atleti team outclass Chelsea? Don't be daft. And yes Jose will be pleased, but he hasn't got a result yet, and anyone who thinks football is all about the result can't be a real football fan, and probably has never paid money to go and see a game. Not aimed at you Fin, the attitude just really frustrates me.

Of course not. I'm a big Jose fan, he's a prick at the best of times and the style against bigger sides or in important matches, especially away can't be considered pleasant to watch. But it's effective and it's brought a lot of success to various sides. His sides are also more than capable of playing some lovely stuff and they've been excellent to watch at points this season.

If people honestly think it's awful then spend £800 watching an Allardyce side all season, even more pragmatic, with none of the entertainment or results.

If you had Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Torres, Eto'o, Schurrle, Lampard, Luiz...I'm sure you'd play some nice stuff at times too, even with big Sam. When it matters, Mourinho goes into ultra defensive, cynical mode, and it's inexcusable imo, all of his teams could have won what they did playing football, he's tactically good enough. Look at the City game earlier in the season, Chelsea defended well, but they dominated in midfield and played well, and it was a good game. That's what Mourinho should be about.

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Not watched much of the game but it seems to me that Athletico are showing Chelsea way too much respect.

Time for adventure
Blue Eyes
Joined in 2011

by Blue Eyes » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Torres just can't catch a break/do anything right. He's a very frustrating player to watch.

Finiarél
Joined in 2010

by Finiarél » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

twitter.com/broadcastmoose/status/458704212285612032

glowy69 wrote:Being from the hood won't save you from an alien mate.
teh bork
Joined in 2008

by teh bork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Luke_25 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:30 pm wrote:
teh bork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm wrote:

If you had Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Torres, Eto'o, Schurrle, Lampard, Luiz...I'm sure you'd play some nice stuff at times too, even with big Sam. When it matters, Mourinho goes into ultra defensive, cynical mode, and it's inexcusable imo, all of his teams could have won what they did playing football, he's tactically good enough. Look at the City game earlier in the season, Chelsea defended well, but they dominated in midfield and played well, and it was a good game. That's what Mourinho should be about.

Depends how good they are playing long balls or winning flick ons...

But that's the way to win against certain sides. Mourinho's tactics against Barcelona under Pep were the only way to defeat them, Jose even admitted that trying to 'have a go' resulted in being humiliated 5-0 and using more defensive strategies gained him the success against them at both Inter and Real.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the style, but it's effective at what he's setting out to do. I'd love to see a game of passing football, with attacking intent from both sides, but at the end of the day it's a results business and Chelsea couldn't give a flying strawberry float if they end up winning the Champions League by being defensive to get there.

Return to “Archive”