The Comics Thread

Our best bits.
HM
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Comics Thread
by HM » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Am I the only one that only buys omnibi and paperbacks? I don't like having hardcovers for normal trades. The only hardcover I do have is Black Mirror and I'm thinking of buying the paperback version as a reading copy so my hardcover doesn't get worn.

Igor wrote:HM is the man you should all strive to be.
PurplePenguin
Joined in 2008

by PurplePenguin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 pm

HM wrote:Am I the only one that only buys omnibi and paperbacks? I don't like having hardcovers for normal trades. The only hardcover I do have is Black Mirror and I'm thinking of buying the paperback version as a reading copy so my hardcover doesn't get worn.

I buy a mixture of Hardcovers, Paperbacks and Omnibus editions. I don't collect single issues so you have to remember hardcovers are usually the first collected release for many comics. What I do try to do these days though is stick to one format for a series. So I wouldn't for example collect Thor God of Thunder and have some volumes hardcovers and some softcovers I'd stick to getting all the volumes in hardcover. I don't buy any Panini releases either I know they are cheaper but the quality is poor.

Pedz what hardcovers have you had problems with? I've got quite a few these days and I think Infinity HC is the first one I've had problems with.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:45 pm

HM wrote:Am I the only one that only buys omnibi and paperbacks? I don't like having hardcovers for normal trades. The only hardcover I do have is Black Mirror and I'm thinking of buying the paperback version as a reading copy so my hardcover doesn't get worn.

Most of my stuff is bought on Comixology or as an omnibus. I never really bother with hardbacks or paperbacks unless it's a comic arc I really, really like and isn't part of an omnibus e.g. The Authority volume 1 (dunno why they didn't just release both volumes as an omnibus as the initial run was only around 29 issues) and Fables. I got Black Panther: Secret Invasion for my birthday and that's the first paperback I've got in years.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
HM
Joined in 2008

by HM » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:46 am

Watching Arrow makes me wana start getting Lemire's Green Arrow. Which is making me looking forward to his Justice League in may. Which makes me excited for post Forever Evil Justice League with Lex. Which is making me excited for Future's End and now I wana start picking them all up

I only just started to trim my pull list down :dread: :dread:

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

by Memento Mori » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:31 pm

The first Lemire GA trade is out in March, it's got like ten issues in it as well.

HM
Joined in 2008

by HM » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Yeah in like 2 weeks time. I'm just going to wait for that.

I'm gona start getting Lemire's Justice League and JL from #30 though.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:45 pm

UA #17- It was good but when it's clear Kang is going to erase everything after Thor enchanted the axe just as soon as he gets whatever he wants, it feels somewhat empty.

Wake # 6- Well that's a new status quo. I like to interpret that American Vampire reference as proof both books are set in the same universe.

Talon- Seemed somewhat incoherent to me.

Superior- If Ann Maria gets thrown off a bridge.. :(

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Yep. UA has lost loads of tension/attraction drama now it seems obvious such a reset will come (it waa hinted at before

We had the exact thought about the end of SSM :D

HM
Joined in 2008

by HM » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Regarding UA; I re-read all of uncanny x-force the other day (still brilliant :wub: ) and the amount of hints, especially when they go to the future, about stuff happening in UA now is :shock: :wub:

I'd love to see/read Remender one day say what his full plan for UXF was, if there were going to be any character changes etc if some of the descendants storyline didn't get moved to his Secret Avengers run and then the stuff happening in UA.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Detective Comics #29
Forever Evil #6- According to the solits this issue has "the final fate of Nightwing". :dread:

Hexx wrote:
We had the exact thought about the end of SSM :D

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Memento Mori wrote:Superior- If Ann Maria gets thrown off a bridge.. :(

SSM - I don't see how they're gonna keep her in the series when Ock leaves Peter's body(and he will. He needs to).

HM
Joined in 2008

by HM » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Captain America #18
Iron Man #22
Loki Agent of Asgard #2
Moon Knight #1 :datass: :datass:
Trillium #7
Uncanny X-Men #18 :datass: :datass:

Superman unchained delayed yet again :fp: I swear every issue of this has been delayed. I get that Jim Lee needs his time, but it's just ridiculous now. Should have just waited to collect this run in one if I had known it would only be 9 issues long.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Memento Mori wrote:Superior- If Ann Maria gets thrown off a bridge.. :(

SSM - I don't see how they're gonna keep her in the series when Ock leaves Peter's body(and he will. He needs to).

HM wrote:
Superman unchained delayed yet again :fp: I swear every issue of this has been delayed. I get that Lee needs his time, but it's just ridiculous now. Should have just waited to collect this run in one if I had known it would only be 9 issues long.

I had to double check when the last issue came out, Google says December 31. :lol: To be fair that's quite punctual for anyone still waiting for him to finish All Star Batman or Batman Europa.

HM
Joined in 2008

by HM » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Memento Mori wrote:
HM wrote:
Superman unchained delayed yet again :fp: I swear every issue of this has been delayed. I get that Lee needs his time, but it's just ridiculous now. Should have just waited to collect this run in one if I had known it would only be 9 issues long.

I had to double check when the last issue came out. Google says December 31. :lol:

Doesn't surprised me, genuinely can't remember anything about the story now other than there's someone called Wraith.

Memento Mori wrote:To be fair that's quite punctual for anyone still waiting for him to finish All Star Batman or Batman Europa.

People like this exist?

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:44 pm

HM wrote:
Memento Mori wrote:To be fair that's quite punctual for anyone still waiting for him to finish All Star Batman or Batman Europa.

People like this exist?

:shifty:

HM
Joined in 2008

by HM » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Memento Mori wrote:
HM wrote:

People like this exist?

:shifty:

Just found this whilst googling Batman Europa:

HC: I was intrigued to read about “Batman: Europa.” What’s going on with that?
JL: That’s a project I began a while back when I was living in Italy for a year. It’s still on deck. I’ve gotten sidetracked with other projects. I’m working currently on [the nine-issue series] “Superman Unchained” with a writer named Scott Snyder.

And found a bleeding cool article where DC solicited it in like 2010/11 and that everybody involved with the project knew that it just flat out wasn't going to meet those dates :lol: :lol:

PurplePenguin
Joined in 2008

by PurplePenguin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 am

In my quest to catch up with the current status quo I read the following yesterday:

X-Men:Schism - Interesting enough it's obviously an event that has been brewing for sometime in X-Force especially.

Marvel Now Avengers Vol 1 - My first encounter with Hickman and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's clear he has a high standard of writing and already you can sense the scale he is aiming for.

New 52 Justice League Vol 1 - It's hard to tell whether the New 52 re-launch has meant dumbing down their comics for a new younger audience or whether some of the writers are just being lazy. It was better than The Dark Knight and Detective Comics offerings but again it was nothing special. I'll probably drop this series as I'm not sure it has enough about it to continue reading especially when there are so many better alternatives.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Still shocked that Jason Aaron wrote Schism. It's probably the worst thing of his I've read, and the worst thing to happen to the X-franchise in recent years. I thought it would be hard to top it, but then Bendis was given the reigns to the X-universe :dread:

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Actually bought paper copies of Deadly Class #1 + #2. No adverts all the way through, and stunning art.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Luddite

Return to “Archive”