The Poker Thread

Our best bits.
satriales
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Poker Thread
by satriales » Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 pm

DML wrote:*flips tables*

How on earth did you do this virtually first time Sat?

It seemed quite easy, I played one €3, and two €30 satellites and won all three ending up with 2x€300 day1 seats, and then on the first of those got a €3000 day2 seat, and the other will be refunded for €300. 8-)

Basically, I run as good as this guy:

You aren't allowed to transfer seats, otherwise I'd give you my spare for cheap.
It is annoying how some of the satellites aren't getting enough players to run, but I think lots of people are waiting until the final week before they win a seat as there are about five day 1's in a row that week.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Why aren't you allowed to transfer seats? Thats the stupidest thing ever. :|

I would have been better off just buying into a $33 sat rather then all this $3 bollocks, I have run so bad its untrue. Final three - two seats - get it all in with Queens against J-9 - flop J-9-2. :fp: I see humoungous value, but you actually have to run well enough to actually receive it - its actually quite sickening.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Unlucky Ben :(

In about 6 tournies, but not the SCOOP (unless everyone wants to stake me...)

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Sun May 19, 2013 8:52 pm

I've not been running so great in these Sunday tournaments. AQ < A5, JJ < TT, QJ < 97 :(

Only the SCOOP left but I'm almost gone in that too...

Edit: Yep next hand after I posted knocked me out. :lol:

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sun May 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah I've run awfully in Sunday tournies today too, although doing well in a 4.40 and on 15k in the SCOOP.

Seems like I can never get a knockout in knockout tournies, preferring to get knocked out instead.

Pacman
Joined in 2009

by Pacman » Mon May 20, 2013 5:11 am

Mini E wrote:The problem I've found with limit hold 'em low stakes is that the quality of play is so low, everyone wants to see every flop it rewards luck more than skill.

PsychicSykes wrote:
Mini E wrote:The problem I've found with limit hold 'em low stakes is that the quality of play is so low, everyone wants to see every flop it rewards good hand selection and value betting.

FTFY.

Cheers guys. Will stick with NL then, I guess I can afford to keep losing (very slowlyly :datass: ) if I stick with it long enough and learn quick enough.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 am

Whilst I am a donk, the way I learnt when I started out was to play single table SnGs. Just 9 people, and I played hundreds of games for $1, or $3. You tend to get about 90 minutes of practice, it's capped at how much you can lose, and I suppose that I prefer tournaments over cash games so it was good practice for that. Either way, you have time and don't have to spend a lot to learn the basics. At cash game level (at 1c/2c for example), everyone plays every hand, which sort of skews it a little, but it's still good practice for hand selection, value betting and good folding discipline.

Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008

by Mini E » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

Won £35 at cash game tonight even though managed to run so badly. AK<Q9 when run twice from pre-flop (9 on flop first run, 9 on turn second run), KK<33 on river. Wasn't great. Can't complain about the money though. Made a loose J8 call pre-flop and flop came 288. Check raised and got put all in by someone with 10s and faded the two outer which was nice.

Clarkman
Joined in 2008

by Clarkman » Mon May 20, 2013 9:58 am

satriales wrote:
DML wrote:*flips tables*

How on earth did you do this virtually first time Sat?

It seemed quite easy, I played one €3, and two €30 satellites and won all three ending up with 2x€300 day1 seats, and then on the first of those got a €3000 day2 seat, and the other will be refunded for €300. 8-)

Basically, I run as good as this guy:

You aren't allowed to transfer seats, otherwise I'd give you my spare for cheap.
It is annoying how some of the satellites aren't getting enough players to run, but I think lots of people are waiting until the final week before they win a seat as there are about five day 1's in a row that week.

It happened on TV as well :shock:

Pacman
Joined in 2009

by Pacman » Mon May 20, 2013 3:31 pm

OP's "Tony Dunst: Things it took me a while to learn" link is broken, new link here: http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/thi ... nt-260172/

I'd appreciate a re-up of "The SNG Blueprint", which is also broken, if anyone has one? :D

And Cheers Nova - I think I'll do exactly that!

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 pm

No problem!

Guys, guys, guys.

The Goliath.......IS ON! Who is in and when can we book hotels?

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Mon May 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Martin, I don't have a copy of The SNG Blueprint, unfortunately. I got it off Luwinski originally so he may be able to help.

Thanks for letting me know about the Dunst link.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Mon May 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Nova wrote:The Goliath.......IS ON! Who is in and when can we book hotels?

I did some research on this before and found that this was a cheap and relatively local place to stay.

http://ibisbudgethotel.ibis.com/gb/united-kingdom/index.shtml

Sharing with one other would mean £12 per night. Just need to figure out who is definitely in and needs a hotel.

Edit: I just did a test on the site to see if that was still available and it's gone down to £23/£11.50 per night. The dates I used were 22/08 to check in and 27/08 to check out (gotta assume you're going all the way in the Goliath, even so there's a ton of side action available).

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Clarkman
Joined in 2008

by Clarkman » Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 am

I won a tournament, wooo!

for $150...

Pacman
Joined in 2009

by Pacman » Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 am

Awesome dude, you must be over the moon with that! :datass:

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 am

Very nice Clarky!

Drum, that looks perfect to me, how close is it to where we have to be? I will definitely need a hotel. The Monday is a bank holiday, right?

Slayerx
Joined in 2008

by Slayerx » Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 am

What were the dates for the Goliath I'm looking to get down for day 1c

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 am

gg Clarkmayne!

Slayerx wrote:What were the dates for the Goliath I'm looking to get down for day 1c

The info is in the OP.

Nova wrote:Drum, that looks perfect to me, how close is it to where we have to be? I will definitely need a hotel. The Monday is a bank holiday, right?

Yes, the Monday is a bank holiday.

In terms of distance from the Ricoh, Google Maps reliably informs me it's about 15 miles (20 mins on the M6).

Image Image Image
Mini E
Doctor
Joined in 2008

by Mini E » Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 am

I had a fantastic dream I got down to the final heads up of the NAPT against Vanessa Selbst. Stupid dreams getting my hopes up :x :x

Nice job Clarkman.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 am

1c Slayer? I think I'll only be able to get the time for day 1d tbh.

Return to “Archive”