Xbox 360
10%
PC
30%

Total votes: 10
NickSCFC

PostRe: PES 2014 (Fox Engine)
by NickSCFC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:11 pm

I've got people on other forums asking me to expand on these points, I described the zones system in the same way you did. Do you have the issue, are there any other major points? Also are there any screenshots other than that Japanese guy's face?

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:32 pm

No screenshots, but there are some pictures of red and blue players with writing on explaining physics stuff, no idea where exactly they come from though (don't look like they are ingame pictures to me).

I'll do this...

Pillars of the new PES engine.

1. Barycentre Physics and Ball control

The new engine allows for a larger separation between player and ball - three time the radius of PES 2013, where tight 'confrontation' zones are used to make tackling easier. A striker will be able to throw his body weight in one direction and use his opposing foot to push the ball in the other way, leaving defenders off balance and buying space for a pass or shot. Players have specific centres of balance, calculated by locating their centre of gravity, or barycentre. You'll be able to control your player's weight shifts at all times and use practice touches to push the ball away from your feet. We see a wireframe demo with more natural animations and fluid transitions than FIFA 13. You control the player and the physics drives the animation, not vice versa. It's hard to tell how this will transform the 'feel' of play, rather than just being admirable behind the scenes calculations, but there appears to be scope for a radical new control scheme - think of how Skate's right-stick motions mimicked real-life movements by exploiting dynamic physics, and how they compared to the digital button taps of Tony Hawks Pro Skater. This could be a revelation in football game control.

2. Contact and Physicality

Konami has pinpointed this as a weakness in previous games, but now players can jostle for space - even without the ball present - for headers at corners, or to dominate a smaller opponent. You'll be able to tug shirts (cloth is now separate from the player's body and stretches) as well as elbow for room on the touchline. It works in tandem with the physics and precision control. Agile players can unbalance defenders with dropped shoulders or ball skills, and push the ball further ahead to exploit their acceleration. "Previously, body feints were more aesthetic," admits Masuda. "Now they're a key tactic."

3. Squad Emulator

Formations remain essential for success, but now you can set 'zones of play' so your key players focus on certain tactics in mission-critical areas. For example, you can set your front line to focus on possession and probing for gaps in from of a deep-lying defence. In theory, you'll be able to recognise your favourite teams pattern of play within a few minutes. The emphasis on defending and shape should allow weaker teams to create effective strategies, such as when Celtic beat Barcelona in the Champions League by defending deep, buoyed up by the home crowd.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Sounds like they've really ripped the guts out of the current engine and started from scratch, the physics driven gameplay and animation transitions being smoother than FIFA 13 are the two major points for me.

Do they mention whether this 'next-gen' PES is PES 2014 or PES 2015? Konami tend to miss the launch of new consoles with PES.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Its not massively clear but it seems like this game (with the engine based on Fox) will be on current gen consoles and next gen.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:49 pm

HSH28 wrote:Its not massively clear but it seems like this game (with the engine based on Fox) will be on current gen consoles and next gen.

I think it was Kojima that was talking about how Fox Engine was 'scalable' and could be used on current and next gen. I can't see KCET trying to implement the new engine into current gen, they're better off just leaving current gen to a small team and focus entirely on next gen.

This all reminds me of the build up to FIFA 07 and how they were building the whole thing from scratch...

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:03 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
HSH28 wrote:Its not massively clear but it seems like this game (with the engine based on Fox) will be on current gen consoles and next gen.

I think it was Kojima that was talking about how Fox Engine was 'scalable' and could be used on current and next gen. I can't see KCET trying to implement the new engine into current gen, they're better off just leaving current gen to a small team and focus entirely on next gen.

This all reminds me of the build up to FIFA 07 and hoe they were building the whole thing from scratch.

I don't think that's the case, the EDGE article goes out of its way to say the FOX engine is on current gen.

It doesn't read to me like there will be another PES based on the old engine.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Excellent if true, PES 2013 was a huge step in the right direction and the first version this generation to remind me of why PES was so great in the first place. Couldn't go back to FIFA yet PES 2013 still felt too buggy to warrant me buying. To me PES just feels so much more like you're controlling real players, the way they'll move when passing/shooting depending on how they've controlled the ball feels so realistic compared to FIFA's floaty ice hockey feel.

PES 2014 just needs a new engine to smoothen out those weird little spasms that broke previous games and I'll be picking it up day one.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 am

Current-gen PES 2014 graphically almost indistinguishable to the real thing, according to EDGE...

Both current and next-gen versions of PES will use Fox Engine

News Publish Date 11/03/2013 - 3:00pm GMT

Current-gen Fox Engine visuals look "near indistinguishable" from the real thing, mag reckons.

A modified version of Kojima Productions' Fox Engine will be used to power both the current and next-generation versions of future PES titles, it's been revealed.

The new engine's scalability, which is expected to be introduced with this year's PES 2014, will mean that both the current and next-gen versions of Konami's football game will benefit from enhanced visuals and "barycentre physics", which offers players "more realistic centres of balance" and a greater sense of physicality.

According to the latest issue of EDGE, the new engine "looks incredible" on PS3, with in-engine visuals that look "near indistinguishable" from the real world. "Only some intricate background detail betrays the CG version," EDGE states. "In terms of quality, think of the Fox Engine 'boardroom' test image... It looks incredible, but we're assured it's all running on PS3."

Though the new engine may debut on current-gen consoles, Konami plans to use Fox Engine to power next-gen versions of PES, too.

"Our new engine isn't limited to the next few years, but [is ready] for next-gen platforms," senior producer Naoya Hatsumi says, as creative producer Kei Masuda hints towards cross-device functionality.

"It is not just about making games for the TV; the engine can adapt to any platform, like tablet or mobile," says Masuda.

"The concern is fewer people will have time to pick up their controllers and play games on the TV. The market has shrunk, so we want to make it possible to, say, edit players on your phone or alter formations, so when you turn on your game, you can instantly start playing with your favoured pre-sets. We want PES to fit around users' lifestyles."

PES 2014 has yet to be officially announced by Konami. Nevertheless, expect it to launch on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC - and potentially PlayStation 4, Microsoft's next-gen Xbox and Wii U - later this year.

Source: EDGE | #252 April 2013

tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 pm

It's nice to have a good looking game but will it play well on a cold, wet, Wednesday night in Stoke?

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 pm

tomvek wrote:It's nice to have a good looking game but will it play well on a cold, wet, Wednesday night in Stoke?

If you're like me and prefer the feel of PES over FIFA then yes, the main change they needed to make was the transition between animations, which according to EDGE are now smoother than FIFA 13.

tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Just messing dude ;)

I'm actually really hoping the change in engine will be just what the series needs. I haven't liked how the game has played for quite a few years now. I actually stopped buying Fifa games for a long time when PES was still at it's peak but unfortunately this gen really threw them for some reason.

Fingers crossed they can deliver a revamped and fresh football game, though this is the hope every year.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Diagram explaining physics/momentum driven dribbling...

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm

That's one of the diagrams in the EDGE article.

Magazine should be out tomorrow for nonsubscribers.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:28 pm

According to admin on www.pesrankings.com, this will be shown at the Xbox Revealed event.

Mr Chips
Joined in 2008
AKA: Nubbing

by Mr Chips » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Anyone who has played PES 2013 properly online for a good length of time will know it is nothing to write home about. Unstoppable through balls performed anywhere on the pitch against always stranded defenders break the game completely.

Yes its completely about the gameplay, one problem gooseberry fools all over any good work they might do.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Mr Chips wrote:Anyone who has played PES 2013 properly online for a good length of time will know it is nothing to write home about. Unstoppable through balls performed anywhere on the pitch against always stranded defenders break the game completely.

The through ball is tough to beat but it can be done. Folks that spam the through ball button are normally poor players and they can be beat by using defenders to keep tight to forwards and quickly close down runs. Even Real Madrid and Barca, one of which most players seem to select for *every* match, can be closed down with practice. It's tough but, at least on the PS3 version that I have played, it can be done.

The best players I've come up against usually pick a mediocre team and then proceed to play me of the pitch. There was a problem with people lagging / breaking games, but Konami are clamping down on this and it's become rarer in recent months.

The playability and feel are ace. PES 2013 :wub:.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 pm

I used to be strawberry floating lethal with through-balls and lobs in PES 4, it's been toned down a lot since then though.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 pm

NickSCFC wrote:According to admin on http://www.pesrankings.com, this will be shown at the Xbox Revealed event.

Can't imagine EA wanting to share the limelight?

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:26 pm

KKLEIN wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:According to admin on http://www.pesrankings.com, this will be shown at the Xbox Revealed event.

Can't imagine EA wanting to share the limelight?

Seems like EA are getting complacent about FIFA, just like Konami in 2005. Have EA even mentioned next-gen FIFA?

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

by Monkey Man » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Announced for 360/PS3/PC/PSP, sounds like no next gen this year - "Our new engine and systems are dedicated to the current generation of platforms, which will continue to be dominant in the market, but are fully scalable for future versions."

PES 2014: The Dawn of a New Era

KONAMI looks to the future as it reveals new PES series powered by Fox Engine

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has revealed that its forthcoming PES 2014 title will mark a new beginning for the popular series, with an all-new engine allowing for the most comprehensive advance for the PES range since its inception.

The PES Productions Team based in Tokyo have been developing a new approach to football for four years and can now confirm their new system uses Kojima Production’s renowned Fox Engine at its core. The team have extended and enhanced Fox Engine to match the bespoke and complex demands of a football title.

Based on six founding standards, the new system has allowed every aspect of PES 2014 to be totally reworked, throwing off the shackles of previous limitations and allowing the PES Productions team to produce a game much closer to their vision of recreating the excitement and variety of a top-level match. The central theme of fluidity is based on the constant moving of players and switching positions which characterises the modern approach to football. PES Productions have looked at how matches ebb and flow, with player individuality key to a team’s success, and well-drilled tactics helping underdogs produce giant-killing feats.

Working from the ground up, PES Productions have strived to rework every element of play, creating a fresh and energetic new standard for football titles. In addition to noticeably improved graphics and seamless animation, the thrust of the new system’s power has been used to redefine the way football is played on a home system. Gone are the limitations imposed by dated animation systems and AI elements, and instead PES 2014 boasts a central core that perfectly mimics the skill and awareness that elevates the world’s greatest players above their peers.

Six central tenets combine to establish PES 2014 as a new benchmark in football simulations, governing everything from the way the player receives and controls the ball, the physicality of play, and the ‘feel’ of match-day: the rush and euphoria or crushing lows that experiencing an important games can bring. As such, the key pillars on which PES 2014 is based are:

· True B all Tech: For the first time in a football simulation, PES 2014 centres everything on the ball: how it moves, and how players use it. First touch and sublime control are what set certain players apart from others. The ability to not only read a pass, but to be one step ahead and to know what is needed to gain yards on an encroaching defender. TrueBall Tech allows the player to trap or knock on a pass using the analogue stick with detailed barycentric physics determining the weight shift of the player and the height and speed of the pass, as to how the player’s body will automatically shape to receive it.

Thus, the player has total control in determining how their body is angled to receive a pass, whereas previous football titles present the user with scant options. Instead, TrueBall Tech means that it can be chested or nodded past an opponent, flicked into space or to a team mate, while closer dribbling control is a much more personal attribute in the new game.

The PES series has long since treated the ball as an individual entity, allowing the player huge amounts of freedom to pass into space, run on to a knocked-on counter, or produced short triangular passes to make space. TrueBall Tech adds even more freedom, with the player’s movements worked around those of the ball and, unlike any other football title, as opposed to the other way round. Players will be able to truly control the free-moving ball, use its pace or alter its movement to master close control in PES 2014.

The result is a game that offers full 360-degree, two-footed control within several yards around the player. In addition to steering the ball with subtle movements, there is the ability to shield the ball from opposing players, use deft controls to wrong-foot them, and intuitive methods to master close control.

· Motion Animation Stability System (M.A.S.S.): The physical combat between players is a vital part of any match, and the new M.A.S.S. component simulates the bodily contact between multiple players within bespoke animations that segue seamlessly into each other. Rather than a series of preset animations that occur under specific circumstances, M.A.S.S. acts instantly to any situation, with the reaction of a fouled player entirely dependent on the direction and force with which they are tackled. Dependent on factors such as their size and power, players will stumble but instantly recover if clipped, barge others off the ball, and use their stature to block players from possession. Similarly, PES 2014 now has more styles of tackle, as opposed to basic foot in or sliding types.

Tackling also becomes more integral to PES 2014’s quest for realism, with clashes of players utilising the TrueBall physics to ensure the ball reacts as it would in a real game. As players fight for a 50-50 ball, their result challenge will see the ball bobbling into space, or emerging at the feet of the triumphant player.

The integration of the M.A.S.S. element has also facilitated new advances in one-on-one situations. The individual battles between key players can determine the outcome of a match, so particular emphasis has been made on such battles in PES 2014. Defenders will put greater pressure on the attacking player, by tussling for possession, standing back to restrict passing opportunities, or making the tackle. Likewise, attackers are faced with ether trying to outpace the defender while retaining possession, feinting to gain advantage, or passing, dribbling or shooting when space allows. The result allows for incredibly open games, where the attributes and skills of the players come to the fore in personal feuds all over the pitch.

· Heart: Defining what makes football so engrossing is difficult. It isn’t a technical thing, but more an emotional hook. Matches can be imposing for visiting teams, as home support barracks the opposition, and acts as the infamous ‘twelfth man’ by cheering their side on. PES 2014’s ‘Heart aims to recreate the effects of team support, both on an individual player basis and across the entire team.

Each player in the game now employs mental attributes in addition to playing styles and skills, and can be adversely affected when having a poor game. However, if an individual is not playing well, his team mates can rally round and will work to support him. Similarly, one moment of individual brilliance can produce a galvanising effect on team mates. The cauldron effect of a vibrant stadium will showcase the mood of the fans, with all-new sound effects combining with stunning AI systems to create a palpable match day atmosphere.

· PES ID: PES 2013 set a new bar for realism, with its inclusion of the Player ID system. For the first time, players could instantly recognise a player by their faithfully recreated running and play styles. The way a player ran, moved and spread the ball about would be identical to that of their real-life counterpart, and PES 2013 featured 50 players that utilised the system.

For PES 2014, that number will be greatly expanded, with twice as many stars featuring bespoke animations and AI.

· Team Play: Via the new game’s innovative Combination Play users can set up a variety of different tactics in key areas of the pitch using three or more players. These players will make very different off-the-ball runs to exploit holes in the defence or midfield, using the flanks, curved runs, or overlapping play to make themselves available. These moves can be preset to key areas of the field, allowing users to exploit defensive weaknesses beforehand.

· The Core: PES Productions have undertaken several years of consultation with PES and football fans to reproduce key elements of the series and implement a wide range of additional improvements.

Visually, the game will benefit from an incredible level of acuity, from the weave of the kits, through to facial movement, and a new animation process that offers slick segues from one move to the next, with no pauses or restrictions on control. Stadia will be faithful to real-life, with the entrances to the pitches recreated, crowds that move during the course of the game The new system also allows for a new light-mapping effect, adding a natural look to the proceedings. The flow of a match has also been improved, with tactical decisions made on the fly, and the removal of cut scenes after specific events.

Free kicks and penalties have also been radically changed. Control over free kicks has been expanded with decoy runs added and short passes now unrestricted. To counter, players can now move the position of their keeper for the kick, while the wall will react to the kick instinctively to block or deflect the ball.

Penalties now use a target guide that is changed according to the kicker’s ability and where they intend to place the ball. The goal keeper can now opt to move ahead of the kick, sensing when the penalty taker is not particularly strong.

PES 2014 will also mark the first appearance of the recently-signed Asia Champions League, adding a wealth of officially licensed clubs to the competition; and the new game will also exclusively retain its use of the UEFA Champions League club competition, with other tournaments expected to be announced shortly.

Further details of PES 2014’s content – including all-new online elements – will follow, but the new game represents a quantum leap from what football fans have been used to.

“Thinking outside the box on an annual series such as PES is not easy,” explained Creative Producer Kei Masuda, “but the Fox Engine has allowed us to develop such a level of freedom that we are constantly realising ways of making PES 2014 a true representation of football. From the moment football fans pick up the controller and experiment with the close control, player movement and get to know how teams work and move, we are confident that they will see a game no longer limited by technology, but capable of growing with them and constantly surprising with the breath-taking quality they have to come to expect from the real thing.”

“All the materials we’re releasing are taken from current platforms and fully in-game, which is at about 70% completion,” he added. “We want fans to get a true feeling of the actual product they’ll be playing on the consoles most own this year, not some marketing dream. Our new engine and systems are dedicated to the current generation of platforms, which will continue to be dominant in the market, but are fully scalable for future versions.”

PES 2014 will be released in 2013 on PlayStation®3, Xbox 360®, Windows PC and PSP®(PlayStation®Portable).

Screenshots:-

@Adam_Bhatti (PES European Community Manager) Very surprised at letting EA have a free run at next-gen and handhelds (bar PSP). Puzzling. The screenshots also appear to show an engine that has had to be dialed down significantly, graphics wise, to fit on it's target platforms. It looks like it should be powering next-gen versions - but there aren't any. Very, very strange.

@Paul_LFC not in the business for highres nextgen ports. We can't and shouldn't do that. Bad habit etc

Last edited by Monkey Man on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Games”