The Official UK Playstation Magazine Chronology Blog [#8 up]

Anything to do with games at all.
Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official UK Playstation Magazine Chronology Blog [#8 up]
by Dangerblade » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:02 pm

TomFromSouth wrote:Anyway, shouldn't you change your username back to Dangerblade now?

Not up to me.

Neo Cortex wrote:
Dangerbells wrote:That was a special one-off issue. I think it was called The Official UK Final Fantasy VIII Magazine or something. I was released in Summer 1998. It was on eBay awhile back.

I still have it somewhere, 'twas awesome. The FFVIII demo is what got me into Final Fantasy, then a few weeks later I went and got FFVII :D

I got mine again on eBay a few weeks back. :D

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:42 am

Picked up a few more issues recently. I also need to continue my Super Play purchases.

TomFromSouth
Joined in 2009

by TomFromSouth » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Sometime in September 1998, they sold a Tekken 3 special issue. It even came with a Tekken 3 special demo disc itself.

Can't think of a decent signature, so here's a short one:

Han shot first!
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:50 am

TomFromSouth wrote:Sometime in September 1998, they sold a Tekken 3 special issue. It even came with a Tekken 3 special demo disc itself.

I've still got that demo, its in a thick black case and a great picture disc

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
TomFromSouth
Joined in 2009

by TomFromSouth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Ad7 wrote:
TomFromSouth wrote:Sometime in September 1998, they sold a Tekken 3 special issue. It even came with a Tekken 3 special demo disc itself.

I've still got it too. It was issue 36. I knew this by putting the disc into my laptop's CD drive. When you go to "My Computer", the CD drive reads what is called "FUTURE_DEMO_36".

Han shot first!
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Anyone looking to get rid of any issues? Or of Super Play?

TomFromSouth
Joined in 2009

by TomFromSouth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:44 pm

TomFromSouth wrote:
Ad7 wrote:

I've still got it too. It was issue 36. I knew this by putting the disc into my laptop's CD drive. When you go to "My Computer", the CD drive reads what is called "FUTURE_DEMO_36".

The menu on the demo disc itself was pretty interesting, although they could at least try to put Tekkenish music on the menu.

Han shot first!
TomFromSouth
Joined in 2009

by TomFromSouth » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 pm

It's been a long time since anyone posted a reply here (well, for me anyway).

Han shot first!
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Was a good thread, these mags aren't so easy to find on eBay either.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri May 21, 2010 11:01 am

Issue #46, June 1999

"You’ve fondled the figures, slurped the slurpee and dived under the duvet. Now? Now play the game. Granted, there’ve been a fair few Star Wars games. But there has never been a more eagerly awaited movie than The Phantom Menace, and there has never, ever been a games console like the PlayStation. PSM is thus proud to bring you an Episode 1 movie feature of epic proportions, followed by a world-exclusive review of the game. Fact: you will not see this lot anywhere else.

And there are plenty of other Star Wars treats: celeb interviews, exclusive photography and toy giveaways abound in this issue. Sadly, were unable to bring you the playable game demo this month, but the deal has been inked.
Fingers crossed, you’ll be seeing a video of the game next issue and playing the thing on PSM48’s disc. The demo will be with you, young Jedis. Always...

If you’re one of those miscreants from the Dark Side who doesn’t like Star Wars, there are still a few things to tickle your light sabre. Exclusive shots of Crash Team Racing, tips for Metal Gear, gruesome screenshots of Carmageddon, a playable demo of Populous: The Beginning, the world’s first look at 40 winks...Oh, and news items on sequels to a few games you might have heard of. Like Tekken. And Metal Gear. And FIFA and Resident Evil and Wipeout and Rollcage and...
Ever get the feeling you bought the right games console?"

Mike Goldsmith (Editor)

On the Disc

Populous: The Beginning (Playable)
KKND: Krossfire (Playable)
Puma Street Soccer (Playable)
Live Wire (Playable)
YVJ (Audio CD utility)
Judge Jules’ Music (Playable)
Granstream Saga (Playable)
Yaroze Poker Sim (Playable)
Ape Escape (Rolling Demo)
Carmageddon (Rolling Demo)

In the News

Wipeout: The Third Coming ('The smash hit returns - Psygnosis reborn with three new titles: Wip3out 3, Rollcage & F1 99')
Tekken Tag Tournament ('PlayStation 1 or 2? We'll let you know.')
Resident Evil 3 ('Going under the name of Resident Evil: The last Escape - the title originally mooted was Nemesis - this latest version is set both 24 hours before and 24 hours after the events of Resident Evil 2').

PrePlay

Speed Freaks
V Rally 2
Ape Escape
Evil Zone
Omega Boost
NBA Pro ‘99
Legend of Kartia
Bomberman Fantasy Racing

PlayTest

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
The Force is strong in this one. A highly successful crossbreed of genres, made vital by its fiercely faithful adhesion to the action of that movie.
9/10

Croc 2
Better, bigger, prettier - and frustrating enough to speed the ageing process. If a sex-year-old sits down to play it, he'll be 40 by the time he beats Baron Dante...
8/10

Grant Theft Auto: London 1969
Does nothing new and offers less content than the original game. Bit if you're a fan of GTA and can endure the 70's jokes this is £20 well spent
7/10

Need for Speed: Road Challenge
NFS Road Challenge is an eminently playable racer - but it just doesn't have the power to compete with the all-singing, all-dancing Ridge 4.
8/10

Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter
Playability, variety, strategy - all have been sacrificed on the altar of superhero worship. Marvel at its Hulk-like girth then despair at its Hulk-like intellect.
5/10

Puma Street Soccer
Been on the look out for a fun filled, action-packed furious-paced footy game? Trust us. You're far better off playing table football down the pub. By yourself.
3/10

Big Air
It's the kind of game that'll sit on your shelf gathering dust until the next millennium. Or you'll pull it out when you're feeling bored. Very bored...
4/10

Pro 18 World Tour Golf
Will not appeal to non-golf fanatics in the same way as Everybody's Golf, but if you're looking for a good, serious golf sim, you've found one.
8/10

Asterix
Asterix is a sub-standard fusion of a Risk clone and a feeble collect 'em up with the occasional bit of fighting. If encountered? Scarper.
3/10

Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis
Its retro styling and innate cruelty isn't going to appeal to everyone, but, in our opinion, this is an arcade gem. Forget real tennis - this is genius.
8/10

Rampage 2: Universal Tour
Just because people fondly remember dressing in black and dancing to the Smiths in the '80s, doesn't mean they want to do it now.
5/10

Sports Car GT
A dreary, innately unappealing racing game. Kill it! Kill it! (Camera pans as mob looms over SCGT. The echo of breaking plastic can be heard...)
2/10

Hard Edge
A kiddie-graphics Resident Evil. Titillates you with a good idea then buries you in an avalanche of bad ones, leaving you tired and weary.
5/10

YoYo's Puzzle Park
YoYo's Puzzle Park is not one that's going to keep you up till four in the morning, Bust-A-Move style - but it's good, clean fun nonetheless.
7/10

Guardian's Crusade
Colourful though it might be, there's nothing in Guardian's Crusade to fire the imagination of the dedicated RPG fan, let alone the casual player. Duh.
5/10

Trivia

• Very controversial issue this. #46 was built around Star Wars: The Phantom Menace – with an exclusive review, extensive look at the upcoming film, merchandising, interviews & 4 Collectable Covers. The extremely ropey game, reviewed by Daniel Griffiths at the Sky Walker Ranch, was awarded 9/10. The review was later denounced in a later issue & the score officially dropped to a 6. This became the score referenced from thereon out.

Page Count: 154

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Fri May 21, 2010 11:05 am

I remember that issue, how much did they get for that Star Wars score :lol:

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri May 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Issue #33, June 1998

Just like every other PlayStation Magazine with their 'Exclusive!' Tekken 3 reviews, PSM got our Japanese correspondent to pop a copy of the import game in the post to us, and a thing of beauty it is too. Because only a tiny minority of you can play the import version, however, we won't bang on about it too much - we'll simply bring you the first review of the UK version in September when it's available to buy. And of course PSM will back it up with a playable demo. In the meantime there are plenty of other PlayStation events and releases to keep you happy.

The World Cup is almost with us, and we're already sick of the latest England song. We've also been swamped by a wealth of football games boasting tenuous World Cup licenses in a bid to secure your summer cash. Of the many games on offer, the two likely to attract most attention are Three Lions and World Cup '98. PSM covers the former this month and finds out whether it can convert all the hope, passion and over 30 years of hurt supporting England in the World Cup, into the best football game on the market. Our exclusive review on page 100 is complemented by a playable demo. And of course you can follow England's progress for real on our Three Lions World Cup wallchart. We also look at how you can create your own World Cup at home in our World Cup Special on page 80.

Enjoy the issue.

Cheers,

Rob Pegley (Editor)

On the Disc

Three Lions (Playable)
Timeshock (Playable)
Cardinal Syn (Playable)
Forsaken (Playable)
Dead Ball Zone (Playable)
Kula World (Playable)
Kick Off World (Playable)
Medevil (Rolling demo)
Enlightenment (Amusing Sony Peripherals video)
Yaroze Rocks'n'Gems (Playable)

Features

Desperately Seeking Solutions: Videgame Hotlines Tried & Tested

'PSM called eight software company helplines with a host of obscure, pedantic and infuriating requests to see how well they coped.'

Final Verdict:

'The idea of giving out cheats on the phone isn't particularly innovative, but throughout this entire scientific study is seemed as though this is the first wave of cheat lines and a fresh, bright future exists just around the corner. When the fella at Virgin said he could fax through an entire guide to Resident Evil 2 we were massively gleeful. That saves players tons of cash - if it's a good guide - and bodes well.

Similarly, when Ocean rapidly answered our enquiry we were out of our heads with happiness...but we wondered what would have happened if we'd had a more taxing question - would he have been so helpful then? The answer, sadly for this reporter, is yes. So, on the whole we left the thronging investigative masses happy and gleeful, but also suspicious of the recorded lines. They were all accurate, and they were all helpful, but they were all so robotic and soulless, and worse than that, they cost us money. Not a lot, it's true, but if you've already shelled out for a game, you don't want to spend more cash learning how to play it. When you buy an audio CD, you don't want to spend £1.50 working out how to get all the tracks, do you? So, we were pleased but cautious, happy but dubious, merry but...oh you get the idea.'

World Cup '98

'What footy game to buy? How can I replicate old finals on the PlayStation? Do England have a chance? Commentary: Gil Gillespie.'

Analysis: Game Players/PSM readers survey results

PrePlay

Tekken 3
Wild Arms
Tombi
WCW Nitro
Vs
Dead or Alive
Pet in TV
Tommi Makinen Rally
EA World Cup '98
ISS Pro '98
Parasite Eve

The First Ever PSM Magazine Awards 1998 - hosted by Rob Pegley & Jayne Middlemiss

Best Game Character
Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Best Sports Game
ISS Pro

Best Beat 'em up
Tekken 2

Best Driving Game
TOCA Touring Cars

Most Innovative Game
PaRappa The Rapper

Best Developer
Squaresoft

Best Publisher
SCEE

Best Game Graphics
Final Fantasy VII

Most Addictive Game
Bust-A-Move 2

Best Music in a Game
Wipeout 2097

Outstanding Achievement Award
Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

PSM Readers Award for Game of the Year
1st: Final Fantasy VII
2nd: Tomb Raider 2
3rd: Tekken 2

PlayTest

Three Lions
An excellent football game, written by fans for fans. If it were a little more accessible, and if it looked better, its rating would be even higher...
8/10

Premier Manager '98
A missed opportunity. The PlayStation is still waiting for a great football management sim. In the meantime, this will fill a yawning gap.
7/10

Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit
NFS3: Hot Pursuit is for you if you love car chases, with the added bonus of an excellent two-player mode to boot. Definitely worth a look...
7/10

Ghost in the Shell
Clearly the progeny of Jumping Flash, but sadly lacking the sparky-brilliance of its predecessor. Ghost in the Shell is nearly great, but not quite.
7/10

Circuit Breakers
Best with four players, this is addictive, clever, considered top-down racing with some of the finest stunts known to man. Get a Multi-Tap and go for it.
9/10

Forsaken
Forsaken looks striking and is often a real pleasure to play, but its toughness and the occasional inadequate feel of your craft let it down.
8/10

Kick Off World
A good idea - combine a management game with an arcade-based football counterpart - but Kick Off World fails. An early World Cup bath for Anco...
3/10

Diablo
A fun blend of arcade adventure and RPG. Diablo is easy to play, but not a serious competitor for the best that Japan has to offer.
6/10

Cardinal Syn
Cardinal Syn's playing environment is quite cool, but the game's too easy and doesn't offer much variety in character or location. Soon becomes tedious.
6/10

Lucky Luke
A fun children's title. Plenty to look at and the levels are interesting. Older players should view it as a palate-cleansing sorbet before a main course.
6/10

World League Soccer
A tireless worker that's challenging throughout, WLS recreates football in a perfunctory, if not workmanlike, way. No flash, no license, just the business.
7/10

Spawn: The Eternal
A real disappointment from Sony, lacking any worthwhile features such as engaging and absorbing gameplay and/or visuals. Avoid it.
4/10

Dead Ball Zone
A decent, playable future sports game at last, but don't expect anything that matches a sweetly struck volley in Actua Soccer or a Total NBA slow-mo dunk.
6/10

VMX Racing
Suffice to say, VMX Racing is the pits. Bike boosters should try Moto Racer (PSM26 8/10) or save their cash for Road Rash 3D.
3/10

Pax Corpus
Messy, boring, unrealistic, ugly, tedious, unresponsive, hateful. Pax Corpus is everything a PlayStation game shouldn't be. With astonishing games constantly being released, there is no place for this in any collection.
2/10

Page Count: 162

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Fri May 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Kula World on the demo disc :wub: I played that demo over and over and over. Then bought the full game which was just sublime :wub:

Three Lions was based on the Actua Soccer games if memory serves? Also Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit was the best Need for Speed on PlayStation, I hope Criterion's Need for Speed ends up like that.

Frank
Joined in 2009

by Frank » Fri May 21, 2010 5:16 pm

suzzopher wrote:I remember that issue, how much did they get for that Star Wars score :lol:

:o

Hang on, if that's the same as the PC game, it was actually pretty good!

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Fri May 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Kula World :wub:
Rocks'n'Gems :wub: :wub:

In other news, I now own Playstation Power issues 1-41. I won 2-41 for 99pm. :lol:

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Fri May 21, 2010 6:16 pm

strawberry floating hell what a bargain :lol:

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 am

Good work KK, any chance of updates for issues from late 1998/early 1999?

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Issue #34, July 1998

Spyro the Dragon. Ever heard of him? Chances are, you haven't. But, chances are you'll be hearing a lot more about him. Sony's new creation is set to be unveiled at E3 this month, the PlayStation world's biggest ever exhibition, and he may well be the star of the show. The reason is that Spyro succeeds where Croc, Gex and Rascal have all failed and provides the first ever 'true' 3D platforming experience. It's an amazing and spectacular thing to behold. Even better to play. Find out more about Sony's star of tomorrow on page 42.

Elsewhere in the magazine, you'll be on more familiar territory as we unveil some of the sequels you can expect later in the year. Crash Bandicooot 3 is on the way, along with Cool Borders 3, Tomb Raider 3, and perhaps most excitingly of all, Final Fantasy VIII. We also talk in depth to Oddworld Inc, about Abe's latest adventure: Abe's Exodus. That all starts on page 88.

In the reviews section, we finally play World Cup '98, Bomberman World and Road Rash 3D. And there are one or two surprise smash hits which encompass golf, volleyball and domino toppling. You'll see what we mean on pages 116, 138 and 140 respectively. Oh, and we also flew to Japan for an exclusive interview with the most important man in the whole of the PlayStation world.

Not a bad issue, then.

Cheers,

Rob Pegley (Editor)

On the Disc

Gran Turismo (Playable)
Colin McRae Rally (Playable)
Dead or Alive (Playable)
WCW Nitro (Playable)
Wargames (Playable)
Klonoa (Playable)
Bomberman World (Playable)
Deathtrap Dungeon (Playable)
Primal Scream
Circuit Breakers (Rolling demo)
Gravitation (Rolling demo)

Primal Scream
'Developers quizzed, boffins questioned, eggheads interrogated...the inside deal on the games you'll be buying in six months time.'

Metal Gear Solid
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Driver
Victory Boxing 2
Earthworm Jim 3D

PrePlay
'A sneak peak at the games almost ready for the shelves. Is it looking good or is it looking terrible? PSM gives you the lowdown.'

Bust A Move
Final Fantasy Tactics
Viper
N20
San Francisco Rush
Tenchu
Xi
Bushido Blade 2
Libero Grande
Mortal Kombat 4
Einhander
Xenocracy

Features

Screen Test

'The film-licensed game used to be as essential to any new blockbuster as the Butterkist and Kia-ora advertisements, so where have all the movie-based games gone? Steve Merrett goes behind the scenes of their apparent demise and imminent awaited, resurrection.'

Spyro The Dragon
The Nightmare Continues: Abe's Exodus

Devil's Advocate (i.e. The Monthly Moan Up)
Rob Pegley

'Apparently, it's going to use MiniDiscs over CDs. It's also going to be a single chip design exactly like the forthcoming Nintendo 2000 machine. Plus, insiders say it'll be DVD and Net compatible. Oh, and a bloke down the pub heard that it'll be made from a horse hair and concrete polymer, will change colour depending on the gamer's mood and games will finally break the 4D wall, transporting the player back intro 1976. Around April.

Fact: PlayStation 2 has attracted more rumours about its contents than Mark Wahlberg's trousers. Web sites print "leaks" from "insider sources", industry speculation is at a fever pitch and when PSM mocked up a dream version of the machine (PSM 25), the games industry thought we'd used our Official status to purloin secret files from SCEE HQ. Heh.

The fact of the matter is that Ken 'Fella Who Invented The Thing In The First Place' Kutaragi aside, no one knows what PlayStation 2 will look like - including us. Sure, it's likely to be a 64-bit machine with both 3D & DVD capabilities. Also, web compatibility should be on the cards given the vast industry interest in Web TV and online gaming. Apart from that? Nothing. Backwards compatibility has been hinted at (see Industry Forum, PSM33) but that apart, your guess is as good as ours - and as long as the current version of PlayStation continues to sell 20,000 copies a week, that's the way it's likely to stay.

Of course, that fact won't stem the incessant flood of "insider" info - the very same "insiders" still swear blind that Tomb Raider features a 'Naked Lara' cheat. Insiders schminsiders - when details of PlayStation 2 finally surface, there'll only be one place to read about them. And that's Official.'

PlayTest

World Cup 98
It may have taken five years, but EA's perseverance has finally produced the ultimate football game. Truly worthy of the World Cup name.
9/10

Dead or Alive
Way ahead of most of the competition in terms of polish and gameplay, Dead or Alive remains secondary to the likes of Tekken and Soul Blade.
8/10

Everybody's Golf
A superb little game that will rejuvenate your interest in golf games. Cute, well-packaged and highly desirable. And that's got to be a good thing.
9/10

Road Rash 3D
A more-than-reasonable enough arcade type racer. For some it will rule. Others might wonder what on earth all the fuss is about.
7/10

Bomberman World
An adequate arcade game that's let down by some irritating control foibles. Nearly saved by the enjoyable multiplayer mode. Nearly.
6/10

Vigilante 8
Enjoyable in short two player bursts and very sharp looking, but you'd be better off hunting down a copy of the still great Twisted Metal 2.
7/10

Kula World
Kula World is an excellently crafted, innovative addition to the PlayStation's puzzle collection. You might find it frustrating but that, surely, is the point.
8/10

Wreckin Crew
A pleasant change from the simulation style driving games available, Wreckin Crew isn't the most taxing of games, but it is a lot of fast, furious fun.
7/10

Heart of Darkness
An exquisitely produced adventure with occasional good ideas and a real film-like feel. The flawed gameplay is likely to put a few players off, though.
7/10

Vs
It's not the best beat 'em up on the PlayStation, but Vs is sufficiently different to make it a worthy addition to the fighting fan's collection.
7/10

WCW Nitro
This is a disappointing wrestling sim, hamstrung by an uninspired control mechanism. Nitro demonstrates why its genre is creatively bankrupt. Here's hoping EA can achieve more with its first WCW game.
5/10

Tota NBA '98
It's up there with the best, but offers realism over ease of play. The lack of ground breaking new features lets it down, but it's a comprehensive game.
8/10

V-Ball: Beach Volley Heroes
A very pleasant surprise. A simple, but extremely fun game that is worth a place in anyone's collection. Get a friend round and enjoy yourselves.
8/10

Mr Domino
Mr Domino is an unusual title. The eponymous hero is odd, as is the gameplay, but it's highly rewarding. Only the open-minded need apply.
8/10

Power Boat Racing
We truly believe the developers did the best they could with Power Boat Racing. Unfortunately, though, their best just isn't good enough.
5/10

Tekken 2 Platinum
A PlayStation collection without this game is riddled with misery and probably wets itself when you go out.
10/10

Page Count: 170

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:48 pm

Seriously if anyone has any issues they want rid of let me know, please :(

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Issue #27, December (Christmas) 1997

Shooting innocent bystanders in hijacked hotels, leapfrogging through the tundras on the back of a polar bear, volleying the winning goal as Zambia take the cup against Grimsby Town...Yup, who needs the self-indulgences of Christmas when the PlayStation can transport you to far funkier climes?

All reviewed this issue, Crash 2, Time Crisis and Actua Soccer 2 are perfect examples of the power of the PlayStation and just the kind of increasingly ace games now gracing the world's favourite console. They're also a smashing, shooting, bruising combination worthy of the collective tag 'crash, bang, wallop'.

Finally, whether you've just got your PlayStation or had it for some time, nip over to our Christmas Crackers feature to discover the best games and coolest new peripherals to splash out on this Holiday. It might mean your Aunt Maureen doesn't get her bath salts but then, what's Christmas without a bit of self-indulgence?

Festive greetings,

Rob Pegley (Editor)

On the Disc

Crash Bandicoot 2 (Playable)
TOCA: Touring Cars (Playable)
Hercules (Playable)
G-Police (Playable)
Shadow Master (Playable)
Felony 11-79 (Playable)
Yaroze: Clone (Playable)

Primal Scream
'PSM goes straight to the horse's mouth to bring you sneaky peaks at some of the major new PlayStation titles coming soon from around the world'

Gran Turismo
World Soccer
Newman Haas Racing
Populous The Third Coming

PrePlay

Skull Monkeys
Auto Destruct
Steel Reign
Z
Spice World
Cool Boarders 2

PlayTest

Crash Bandicoot 2
Both an improvement and a let down: less painful than the original, but basically more of the same. Still a darn good romp though, and a pretty platformer.
8/10

Time Crisis
Until Namco release point blank, Time Crisis is duly crowned the grooviest, bloodiest lightgun totin' shoot 'em up on the PlayStation to date.
8/10

Fighting Force
Scrolling 3D Beat 'em up
A dated, yet initially fun title which is spoilt by too many levels offering little in terms of gameplay innovation. Fans of this ageing genre will still love it, though.
7/10

Ace Combat 2
Flying arcade sim
A fantastic flight sim with plenty of full-on action, let down by the fact that the missions are too easy to complete, which means it's all over in a day's play.
5/10

Judge Dredd
Lightgun shoot 'em up
Hugely enjoyable but ever-so-slightly disappointing actionfest. One thing's for certain - it's the best comic conversion ever to grace the PlayStation.
7/10

Fantastic Four
Scrolling beat 'em up
Cool License, disappointing end product. The promise of an ace comics-based game is still there - so let's hope CapCom's Mervel Super Heroes delivers...
4/10

Actua Soccer 2
AS2 is better than AS, and it's a more football-like game than ISS Pro. It's still a hard game to master, but stick with it and discover that this is the finest footie game going.
9/10

Jersey Devil
Does nothing that platformers weren't doing 10 years ago but, nevertheless, a huge, colourful, moreish game that positively demands your attention.
8/10

Courier Crisis
Bike 'em up
Buckets of fun for the first half hour. Tedium on a stick for the remainder of the day. But you will go back to Courier Crisis. Yes, you will...
6/10

Pandemonium 2
Platform game
While not quite the beast that its predecessor was, Pandemonium 2 is still one hell of a gas. But if you haven't played the original, buy that before you get hold of this.
8/10

MDK
First Person Shooter
If you forgive the occasional graphical frailty, MDK ranks as one of the most intelligent blasts on the PlayStation. You'll have a lot of fun with this one.
8/10

Rosco McQueen
3D firefighter shooter
Won't make your jaw drop, certainly not in the graphics department at least, but Rosco McQueen oozes playability and is plenty of fun. Hard to resist.
7/10

Broken Sword 2 - The Smoking Mirror
Point'n'click
Possibly one of the most complete and atmospheric adventure gaming experiences money can buy. Even better than the original version.
9/10

Nascar '98
An improvement over NASCAR but still weighed down by poor handling and niggly faults. Could and should have been better this time around.
6/10

TOCA Touring Car Championship
An excellent racing sim that's both realistic and fun to play, backed up by great graphics and excellent sound. Right up there with the best.
9/10

Formula Karts Special Edition
A great little racer that works well as both a sim and an arcade game for one or two players. Its mix of Micro Machines-type slideyness with in-car 3D action is unique.
7/10

Trivia

• The centre of the cover opens up to reveal an advert for Duke Nukem, with the tag line "What you waiting for...Christmas?"
  • The Broken Sword 2 review also features an interview with Charles Cecil.
  • World Soccer would later go on to become Three Lions

Page Count: 154

Return to “Games”