The Football Thread 2011/12

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Codename 47
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2011/12
by Codename 47 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am

Preezy wrote:I find it amazing that Chelsea are signing all these players without even having a confirmed manager, what if the guy Roman finally brings in doesn't fancy playing one of these mega-signings? Or decides on a formation that leaves a big star on the bench (again)? That could get awkward :lol:

I'm probably using too much logic here :lol: But you'd like to think that Abram has been in constant dialog with the man he's got lined up to replace RDM - if not just to ask "Do you fancy having Hulk or Hazard here". Sucks for AVB though, because this is exactly the sort of changes that he knew Chelsea needed but was never given the chance to introduce himself.

It's crazy though. Chelsea did need this overhaul but they are spending huge amounts of money and I think it will continue to be honest (i can't see them getting much back from sales to be honest). Who knows, maybe FFP was really introduced to encourage certain clubs to go on mad spending sprees :lol:

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:17 am

Looks so odd! I'm used to seeind old photos of ex-Liverpool becoming Swansea managers/players with the likes of Toshack and Molby, but didn't think I'd ever see it the other way around.

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am

This is brilliant news!

http://www.swanseacity.net/page/Latest/ ... 50,00.html

Can't copy and paste, but basically:

A clause has been agreed that stops Liverpool bidding for any Swansea players for 12 months. I was getting a tad nervous about reports he'd be after Allen and Williams (although I'd have happily taken £10 million for Sinclair).

Hopefully this means he'll be given a good reception when he returns, unlike Martinez who did his best to rip us apart when he went.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:38 am

Lotus wrote:So, Grant Holt wants to leave Norwich. Maybe he'll follow Lambert to Villa. :shifty:

That's what an article was suggesting the other day. :shifty:

Prototype
Joined in 2008

by Prototype » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40 am

Michael Johnson's been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:49 am

Prototype wrote:Michael Johnson's been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.

Good to see he is up to something I guess.

Prototype
Joined in 2008

by Prototype » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am

suzzopher wrote:
Prototype wrote:Michael Johnson's been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.

Good to see he is up to something I guess.

:lol:

Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Kanbei » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am

D_C wrote:So there we go, we've signed Hulk as well now (£38M apparently).

Bids for Captain America, Thor and Iron Man incoming as well?

SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 am

Kanbei wrote:
D_C wrote:So there we go, we've signed Hulk as well now (£38M apparently).

Bids for Captain America, Thor and Iron Man incoming as well?

That's reminded me that now whenever Chelsea play we will now get close ups of people in Hulk masks, Sideshow bob wigs and Roman Abramovich sprawled out in his chair at every opportunity :roll:

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:30 pm

I hope Rogers throws Aquaman a life line.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm

suzzopher wrote:I hope Rogers throws Aquaman a life line.

You need to learn how to spell your Manager's name now he's officially signed mate.

It's Rodgers.

bear
Joined in 2008

by bear » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Zellery wrote:
suzzopher wrote:I hope Rogers throws Aquaman a life line.

You need to learn how to spell your Manager's name now he's officially signed mate.

It's Rodgers.

It's Mr. Rodgers to you.

Superking
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mr Plough

by Superking » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:49 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:This is brilliant news!

http://www.swanseacity.net/page/Latest/ ... 50,00.html

Can't copy and paste, but basically:

A clause has been agreed that stops Liverpool bidding for any Swansea players for 12 months. I was getting a tad nervous about reports he'd be after Allen and Williams (although I'd have happily taken £10 million for Sinclair).

Hopefully this means he'll be given a good reception when he returns, unlike Martinez who did his best to rip us apart when he went.

I get the feeling the guy has genuine affection for Swansea so it would be a shame if he got a bad reception.

Thought Rodgers came across really well in the press conference. The only real doubt tbh is the fact he hasn't managed a club with the immense pressure/unrealistic expectations of Liverpool. Still that would be the case with any young manager. Quite excited to see if he can get us playing the right kind of footie. I actually think we have at least the foundations to do it. Obviously we're short in a few places but our back 4 and keeper at least should be able to adapt (aside from Jamie just strawberry floating hoof it Carragher of course) and I think Kenny was at least trying to get us to part attacking football so yeah. Just hope the fans and owners give him time.

Last edited by Superking on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One's never alone with a rubber duck
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 pm

He'll get the "d" when I feel he has earnt it.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Could you imagine if Aquaman became a top player for us next season after being frozen out by three successive managers? What a farce that would be.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Shadow wrote:Could you imagine if Aquaman became a top player for us next season after being frozen out by three successive managers? What a farce that would be.

He wasn't really frozen out by Benitez though, he was injured for most of that season and when he played, he played well.

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Rodgers will give everyone a chance. I know he gets genuinely annoyed when people say certain clubs don't have the players to play passing football. It's just a matter of getting them comfortable with it. We have players that used to play on the mudbath that was the vetch pitch in league two, now up alongside people like Xavi on passing completion tables. I don't think big Andy needs to worry either. He does like having a big forward in the squad. Since January he'd apparently been watching Zigic at Birmingham, and Lacina Traore. Plus he brought in Priskin on loan for the end of the 10/11 season.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 pm

^^ Yup! I play in a 5 a side league, on small pitches there's a necessity to play a quick passing game, I as a total amatuer, can play a snappy game when required. Now expand that to a pro player at any level and you realise that they're obviously capable of quick, close passing, they just don't do it because they've been coached otherwise.

ladybayred
Joined in 2008

by ladybayred » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Shadow wrote:^^ Yup! I play in a 5 a side league, on small pitches there's a necessity to play a quick passing game, I as a total amatuer, can play a snappy game when required. Now expand that to a pro player at any level and you realise that they're obviously capable of quick, close passing, they just don't do it because they've been coached otherwise.

Arguably its not the passing thats the difficult part (or even controlling the ball) its the generating the off the ball movement. Swansea and Barca aren't amazing at retaining possession because their players can simply pass better it is becuase they are coached to be constantly on the move either into space to receive a pass or to drag defensive players out of position so other team mates can exploit the space left behind.

I just hope the Liverpool squad buy into his ethos and are prepared to put the work in on the training ground to get this right.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Looking forward to seeing Downing, Spearing and Henderson play like Barcelona do. 8-)

Return to “Stuff”