The Football Thread 2011/12

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2011/12
by Cuttooth » Thu May 31, 2012 11:09 pm

£77 million spent already for Chelsea. Have they actually sold anyone yet?

jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by jamcc » Thu May 31, 2012 11:10 pm

glowy69 wrote:Personally I think liverpool will finish around 8th again

I think they'll be closer to 8th than 4th.

As for Hulk, well I just want to see the Marin and Hazard deals confirmed first! :lol:

degoose
Joined in 2008

by degoose » Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Zellery wrote:
degoose wrote:
Zellery wrote:
degoose wrote:
irishguy2008 wrote:I love how people on here are ruling out Liverpool completely from 4th, but im not bothered, we've won the Champions League as underdogs so it'll be sweeter getting 4th when everyone is dismissing it before a ball has been kicked.

well you better hope downing and henderson improve big time and you get some actual wingers.

Downing is a winger.

ooh ZING

It wasn't meant to be a zinger aimed at you. :lol:

It was supposed to be a diss on Downing and the fact that you forgot he was a winger he's so gooseberry fool.

zing is basically like saying owned, not against me of course.

i would say downing what a shite year you have had but then he even gets in to the England squad somehow.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega"
Steam:degoose, Xbox:degoose v2 , PSN:degoose, Switch: 0760-2133-6729
tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Thu May 31, 2012 11:23 pm

Minto wrote:Liverpool to re-generate Anfield! Great news

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/31/liverpool-new-stadium-anfield-expansion?CMP=twt_gu

Liverpool, having decided on Brendan Rodgers as their manager, are expected to announce within weeks they intend to stay at Anfield, not build their long-planned new stadium on Stanley Park. Under plans drawn up by Liverpool city council and revealed to local residents, houses would be demolished to enable the club to expand Anfield's main stand.

Great news :)

It would be sad to see them move away from Anfield, so much history.

SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Especially as the design they had for a new one a while ago was ridiculous. It looked more like some futuristic office than a stadium.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Thu May 31, 2012 11:36 pm

Mafro wrote:Apparently Chelsea are getting Hulk for £38million.

That's about £23m too much

Minto
Joined in 2009

by Minto » Thu May 31, 2012 11:38 pm

tomvek wrote:
Minto wrote:Liverpool to re-generate Anfield! Great news

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/31/liverpool-new-stadium-anfield-expansion?CMP=twt_gu

Liverpool, having decided on Brendan Rodgers as their manager, are expected to announce within weeks they intend to stay at Anfield, not build their long-planned new stadium on Stanley Park. Under plans drawn up by Liverpool city council and revealed to local residents, houses would be demolished to enable the club to expand Anfield's main stand.

Great news :)

It would be sad to see them move away from Anfield, so much history.

:wub:

PSN: MintKorp - NNID: Mintoisking
Hypes
Joined in 2009

by Hypes » Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 pm

glowy69 wrote:
Thats cool. I expect us to be challenging 10th this season 8-) :(

:lol: :wub:

Hawky
Joined in 2008

by Hawky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 am

"4 yr League Cup title sponsorship deal agreed with leading UK credit card company Capital One http://bit.ly/Ki9qlc #CapitalOneCup"

Just posted by football league on twitter :|

Edit: http://www.football-league.co.uk/footba ... 34_2793901

D_C
Joined in 2011

by D_C » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 am

So there we go, we've signed Hulk as well now (£38M apparently).

tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 am

Quite a lot of money to fork out this summer but Chelsea did need a bit of an overhaul. Quite excited but also a tad intimidated (if they can make it work) to see them in action next season.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 am

Irene Demova wrote:
Mafro wrote:Apparently Chelsea are getting Hulk for £38million.

That's about £23m too much

I think £15 million for a guy with a 5 year contract who has scored, in the last two years, 57 goals and made 36 more in 91 games would be a little cheap!

Still, not keen on £38million, even if we do need another winger. If you consider that we may look at signing one more central midfielder, I don't like how close our expenditure is going to get to 100million. Still, if we can sell our deadwood then maybe it'll be ok. It's just that players like Kalou are leaving on a free :|

EDIT - In fairness, isn't winning the Champion's League worth around 100million? If so, Abramovich is just spending all his winnings up front. We sort of need to sort out the manager now, ASAP.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 am

Lukaku is expressing some unhappiness at Chelsea. No real surprise there :( We need to lead with Torres next season, but unless we can make Lukaku our main cup man/regular substitute player, then he needs to go on loan with assurances that he is the next Drogba... We paid 20million for him for crying out loud.

Why we didn't loan him in Jan is beyond me.

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 am

Chelsea skipper John Terry has been handed an additional two-match European ban for his sending off against Barcelona in this year's Champions League semi-final.

UEFA has decided to issue Terry with a three-match ban for the foul in Sanchez - although the final at the Allianz Arena is included as one of them. Therefore, he will now also miss Chelsea's Super Cup clash with Atletico Madrid and their opening match in next year's Champions League group stage.

"The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body has suspended Chelsea FC player John Terry for three UEFA club competition matches," a statement read. "As the player did not participate in the subsequent final against Bayern Munich on May 19, he has already served one match of his suspension.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 am

I find it amazing that Chelsea are signing all these players without even having a confirmed manager, what if the guy Roman finally brings in doesn't fancy playing one of these mega-signings? Or decides on a formation that leaves a big star on the bench (again)? That could get awkward :lol:

Last edited by Preezy on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 am

degoose wrote:
Zellery wrote:
degoose wrote:
Zellery wrote:
degoose wrote:
irishguy2008 wrote:I love how people on here are ruling out Liverpool completely from 4th, but im not bothered, we've won the Champions League as underdogs so it'll be sweeter getting 4th when everyone is dismissing it before a ball has been kicked.

well you better hope downing and henderson improve big time and you get some actual wingers.

Downing is a winger.

ooh ZING

It wasn't meant to be a zinger aimed at you. :lol:

It was supposed to be a diss on Downing and the fact that you forgot he was a winger he's so gooseberry fool.

zing is basically like saying owned, not against me of course.

i would say downing what a shite year you have had but then he even gets in to the England squad somehow.

Yep, ignore me.

I seemed to misinterpret everything yesterday. :fp:

bear
Joined in 2008

by bear » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:08 am

Nova wrote:
EDIT - In fairness, isn't winning the Champion's League worth around 100million? If so, Abramovich is just spending all his winnings up front. We sort of need to sort out the manager now, ASAP.

That figure includes the TV and prize money they'd get from the Champions League group and knockout stages so it wouldn't be a windfall of an extra £100 million. If you look at this article on the UEFA website they detail how much the big earners in last years tournament got.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/finance/news/newsid=1661038.html

Manchester United got €53.197m in payments from UEFA. This comprised more than €27m for their performances from the UEFA Champions League group stage onwards, and another €25.9m from the television market pool.

Barcelona's triumphant run to the title at Wembley in May earned them a total of €51.025m. The Spanish club's performance-related payments amounted to €30.7m and they also collected €20.3m from the TV market pool.

Barça netted €9m for winning the trophy thanks to their 3-1 success over United, who picked up €5.6m as runners-up. The other major earners from the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League were Chelsea FC (€44,523,000), FC Schalke 04 (€39,750,000), Real Madrid CF (€39,288,000), FC Internazionale Milano (€37,982,000), FC Bayern München (€32,562,000) and Tottenham Hotspur FC (€31,133,000).

I'm guessing the rest of the £100million is put down to increased sponsorships and the like.

Foxhound
Joined in 2011

by Foxhound » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:52 am

Preezy wrote:I find it amazing that Chelsea are signing all these players without even having a confirmed manager, what if the guy Roman finally brings in doesn't fancy playing one of these mega-signings? Or decides on a formation that leaves a big star on the bench (again)? That could get awkward :lol:

This will not be allowed.

I am kind of excited to see this team in action. They still need a midfielder and a right back, though.

Poncho
Joined in 2008

by Poncho » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am

Abramovich will make himself the next manager.

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 am

So, Grant Holt wants to leave Norwich. Maybe he'll follow Lambert to Villa. :shifty:

Return to “Stuff”