Minto
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Football Thread 2011/12
by Minto » Thu May 31, 2012 11:29 am

Wedgie wrote:
Shadow wrote:
Zellery wrote:>Finish joint 9th
>Decide 3rd is a possibility next season

I don't think Arsenal sans-RVP are that much better than us. Chelsea have no manager. Spurs will lose players. As things stand I don't think its that outlandish, none of those teams are guaranteed top 4, similarly it wouldn't be much of a shock to see any of those teams finish 6th.

Wat. Arsenal finished ahead of Liverpool many more times in the past decade so that's a ridiculous statement I have ever seen in my life. Like something HSH would say. Arsenal have the better set of players than Liverpool, too.

And Liverpool will not finish in the top four next season. Liverpool would be better off if they lower their expectations, and start building again. The "top four or you'll be sacked" will be the downfall of Liverpool if they adopt that policy.

May have finished ahead of us but we still won more than you 8-)

PSN: MintKorp - NNID: Mintoisking
Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 am

Ah, playing the "We won more than you so we should deserve in the top four" card, are we? :roll:

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 am

Haven't Arsenal won 2 premierships and an FA cup in the last decade?

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
Minto
Joined in 2009

by Minto » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am

Sandy shush. :shifty:

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am

SandyCoin wrote:Haven't Arsenal won 2 premierships and an FA cup in the last decade?

Liverpool won 2 League cups, an FA cup and the Champions League in past deacade, in 11 years thats 2 FA cups. 8-)

EDIT: Arsenal won 2 FA cups and 2 Premierships in past decade.

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu May 31, 2012 11:52 am

The Guardian done an interview with Brengan Rodgers a month ago, seems interesting.

He bases his play style on Barcelona/Spain aka possession. When swansea are tired the team keep the ball, when they dont have the ball they zonal press. He said "give a bad player time and he can pass it, give a good player time and he can kill you." He mentions how proud he was after beating Man City by dominating the game, also how Liverpool fans clapped them off the pitch after a draw at Anfield.

He also spent a week as a guest of Del Bosque at the Spanish training ground watching them train and taking notes. Its all just talk of course but makes for an interesting read. Swansea passed the ball more than any other team in the premiership too.

SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Thu May 31, 2012 11:55 am

Photek wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Haven't Arsenal won 2 premierships and an FA cup in the last decade?

Liverpool won 2 League cups, an FA cup and the Champions League in past deacade, in 11 years thats 2 FA cups. 8-)

EDIT: Arsenal won 2 FA cups and 2 Premierships in past decade.

So that's 2 PL's to a CL. Not too bad for Arsenal.

On the subject, it has been a while Arsenal won anything. Right now would Arsenal fans prefer a PL or CL win?

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Thu May 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Photek wrote:The Guardian done an interview with Brengan Rodgers a month ago, seems interesting.

He bases his play style on Barcelona/Spain aka possession. When swansea are tired the team keep the ball, when they dont have the ball they zonal press. He said "give a bad player time and he can pass it, give a good player time and he can kill you." He mentions how proud he was after beating Man City by dominating the game, also how Liverpool fans clapped them off the pitch after a draw at Anfield.

He also spent a week as a guest of Del Bosque at the Spanish training ground watching them train and taking notes. Its all just talk of course but makes for an interesting read. Swansea passed the ball more than any other team in the premiership too.

But Swansea also passed the ball more than any other team 3 years before Rodgers arrived here. Don't get me wrong, he's done great for us, but it's a tad annoying when the media make out that we play this way because of Rodgers. He was appointed to keep playing the way we already played.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 pm

SandyCoin wrote:Right now would Arsenal fans prefer a PL or CL win?

I imagine most fans of most clubs would prefer to be champions of Europe over anything else.

At this stage though, why would we be fussed either way?

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Thu May 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Looking forward to seeing Downing play possession football next year. He'll be in his element, passing it backwards at every opportunity and never losing it on the wing. 8-)

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu May 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Zellery wrote:Looking forward to seeing Downing play possession football next year. He'll be in his element, passing it backwards at every opportunity and never losing it on the wing. 8-)

Just like Carrick. :slol:

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Thu May 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Take that, Zellery!

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:
Photek wrote:The Guardian done an interview with Brengan Rodgers a month ago, seems interesting.

But Swansea also passed the ball more than any other team 3 years before Rodgers arrived here. Don't get me wrong, he's done great for us, but it's a tad annoying when the media make out that we play this way because of Rodgers. He was appointed to keep playing the way we already played.

So what if Swansea where playing possession play before Rodgers was manager, the point is thats the way he manages, wether it be swansea or liverpool or acrington stanley. At the very least liverpool will try it, hopefully it works.

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu May 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Right now would Arsenal fans prefer a PL or CL win?

I imagine most fans of most clubs would prefer to be champions of Europe over anything else.

At this stage though, why would we be fussed either way?

Liverpool want the League, we're years off that of course.

Last edited by Photek on Thu May 31, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Thu May 31, 2012 12:22 pm

glowy69 wrote:
Lotus wrote:
glowy69 wrote:
Lotus wrote:
Foxhound wrote:Hope Lambert goes to Villa now

Ugh, not that miserable bastard. Two decent seasons with Norwich isn't enough to convince me.

So we should hire who?

Martinez? Rangnick? Sven? I'd take any of them over Lambert/Rodgers.

Why?

All 5 arent really that different from each other. Id take lambert over all of them tbh.

Keep Sven away though, we need a man manager to knock the ego's into line

Well, if they're all much of a muchness, I'd prefer Rangnick than the others. Maybe Randy has a thing for miserable Scots.

Anyway, we shall see. If he gets results and surprises me, great.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Thu May 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Photek wrote:
Zellery wrote:Looking forward to seeing Downing play possession football next year. He'll be in his element, passing it backwards at every opportunity and never losing it on the wing. 8-)

What's the shifty smiley for?

I thought it was common knowledge that Carrick did a lot of sideways passing? :?

I also don't really understand what that has to do with my comment about Downing? Unless you're implying I'm a Utd fan again because I took the piss out of a Judas Villa player?

Is that it Photek?

You're awesome.

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Thu May 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Photek wrote:
GrinWithoutaKat wrote:

So what if Swansea where playing possession play before Rodgers was manager, the point is thats the way he manages, wether it be swansea or liverpool or acrington stanley. At the very least liverpool will try it, hopefully it works.

Well, it didn't really work out at Reading. Aren't you worried the same sort of thing could happen? And it's not like he had terrible players there, as McDermott took the same group of players out of the relegation zone, to just short of the play-offs after taking over, then in his first full season (after losing Sigurddson), got to the play-off final.

Minto
Joined in 2009

by Minto » Thu May 31, 2012 12:30 pm

The man deserves a chance and time. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Liverpool keep the ball during games instead of aimless hoofs. Hopefully his first act is to get rid of Carragher from the team, maybe move him into a coaching role somewhere in the club? Also we need to start preparing for life without Steven Gerrard as I don't think he can play a full season. Maybe max 20-25 games?

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu May 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Zellery wrote:
Photek wrote:

What's the shifty smiley for?

I thought it was common knowledge that Carrick did a lot of sideways passing? :?

I also don't really understand what that has to do with my comment about Downing? Unless you're implying I'm a Utd fan again because I took the piss out of a Judas Villa player?

Is that it Photek?

You're awesome.

Reading way too much into a comment. :fp:

The smiley was cos he was bizarrely left out of England squad.

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu May 31, 2012 12:37 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:Well, it didn't really work out at Reading. Aren't you worried the same sort of thing could happen?

Of course I am.

Return to “Stuff”