Canyonero

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Canyonero
by Return_of_the_STAR » Wed May 15, 2024 10:45 am

Finally after all these years I've found the Family Guy thread.

Shoe Army
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed May 15, 2024 10:50 am

https://www.aol.com/simpsons-star-harry ... ccounter=1

"The Simpsons star Harry Shearer says recasting character has ‘affected’ show"

The Simpsons star Harry Shearer has said recasting him with a Black actor has negatively “affected” one of the show’s main characters.

Shearer voices 20 characters on the animated series, including Mr Burns, Ned Flanders and Principal Skinner.

Until 2021, Shearer also voiced Springfield physician Dr Hibbert but found himself suddenly replaced amid calls to recast the show’s non-white characters, voiced by white actors.

The animated sitcom had been criticised for years for white actor Hank Azaria’s portrayal of Indian-American convenience store owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, a controversy explored in the documentary The Problem with Apu.

Another character who was recast was Dr Hibbert, who had been played by Shearer since 1990. The actor always said that he had played him as a parody of now-disgraced comedian Bill Cosby.

The physician is now voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson – and Shearer has suggested that the recasting has “affected” the effectiveness of the character.

Speaking to The Times, Shearer said: “Folk say the show has become woke in recent years and one of my characters has been affected.

“I voiced the black physician, Dr Hibbert, who I based on Bill Cosby. Back then he was known as the ‘whitest Black man on television’.

“Then, a couple of years ago, I received an email saying they’d employed a Black actor, who then copied my voice.

Shearer then questioned the effectiveness of Richardson’s performance as the character, stating: “The result is a Black man imitating a white man imitating the whitest Black man on TV.”

Old man yelling at cloud energy especially when Hank Azaria took it so well when Apu and Carl were both recast - he was happy about it IIRC.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
site23
Joined in 2021

by site23 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 am

RetroCora wrote:That reminds me, Karl said something interesting to me last night at the bar. Apparently he doesn't really love Dr Zaius and the thread name change is all a sham to help his career. Well, enough talk. Let's snuggle.

:lol: :lol:

Qikz wrote:"The Simpsons star Harry Shearer says recasting character has ‘affected’ show"
[...]

Old man yelling at cloud energy especially when Hank Azaria took it so well when Apu and Carl were both recast - he was happy about it IIRC.

It's a bad opinion and a silly thing to say. It doesn't surprise me at all though seeing as the guy is 80 now. People should try to retire before they become embarrassing dinosaurs...

I guess that applies to the show itself too.

RetroCora
Joined in 2022

by RetroCora » Wed May 15, 2024 11:13 am

site23 wrote:
RetroCora wrote:That reminds me, Karl said something interesting to me last night at the bar. Apparently he doesn't really love Dr Zaius and the thread name change is all a sham to help his career. Well, enough talk. Let's snuggle.

:lol: :lol:

Qikz wrote:"The Simpsons star Harry Shearer says recasting character has ‘affected’ show"
[...]

It's a bad opinion and a silly thing to say. It doesn't surprise me at all though seeing as the guy is 80 now. People should try to retire before they become embarrassing dinosaurs...

I guess that applies to the show itself too.

The Simpsons has been ongoing for almost half of that guy's fairly long life, which is absolutely terrifying on many levels. But also he must've made untold millions from it so should really just shut up, it's not like they docked him pay for giving Hibbert to (the exceptionally talented) Kevin Michael Richardson.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Wed May 15, 2024 11:18 am

Rightey wrote:Hmm... I think we could make some pretty good shitposts of our own given our extensive knowledge and resources...

For some reason my browser sent me back to this page, so I thought I'd quote it as it's still great.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.

Return to “Stuff”