The Football Thread 2023/24: Kompany to *checks notes* Bayern?! What timeline is this?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Villa's Euro Odyssey Ends in (Greek) Ruins #puns
by Dowbocop » Sat May 11, 2024 6:10 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Sacking Poch now would be such a Chelsea thing to do :lol: they are on the verge of potentially getting 5th.
Heritage

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Villa's Euro Odyssey Ends in (Greek) Ruins #puns
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat May 11, 2024 11:25 am

twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1788912091249701045

I would love to see this happen here.

Shoe Army
Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Sat May 11, 2024 11:47 am

Agreed, would be good start in improving things.

I'm always surprised (I know I shouldn't be) how players can do something so blatent and yet are then able to vehemently say they are innocent.

I played sports (Rugby), obviously no where near this level, but we all strawberry float up from time to time. The fact you can make a mistake and potentially really hurt someone yet show no remorse or care for another person is so alien to me.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Sat May 11, 2024 4:45 pm

Goodbye Luton and good luck.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:58 pm

Looking like all 3 promoted teams are back down, unless Luton win by like 15 goals and Forest lose their last game.

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 5:00 pm

Forest and Everton have done well considering their points deductions.

Then again, Sheff United and Burnely have been absolutely dire, and Luton although have had some lovely performances, have lost or drawn many games they should have won, shame to see Luton go, was really hoping to see Everton piss off as they're such a bogey team for Liverpool, but not for Man City (or anyone else).

more heat than light
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl

by more heat than light » Sat May 11, 2024 5:04 pm

:toot:

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Sat May 11, 2024 5:05 pm

It just highlights the closed shop nature of the league, unless you spend (more than you are allowed) then you don't really have a chance of staying up. Especially if you weren't on parachute payments.

Ste
Joined in 2008
AKA: ScouseStevmed

by Ste » Sat May 11, 2024 5:22 pm

Curls wrote:Everton piss off as they're such a bogey team for Liverpool, but not for Man City (or anyone else).

Lolz wot?

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Sat May 11, 2024 5:24 pm

Yeah, Everton are not a bogey side for Liverpool :lol:

You can probably count on one hand the number of times they've beaten Liverpool in the last 20 years :slol:

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 5:26 pm

Ste wrote:
Curls wrote:Everton piss off as they're such a bogey team for Liverpool, but not for Man City (or anyone else).

Lolz wot?

Liverpool struggle against Everton every season.

It's a scrappy fixture, often with injury's they commit awful fowls that they wouldn't do against any other team(they absolutely broke Van Dijk). Cards are sometimes involved. They play negatively and doggedly. When City , Spurs or Arsenal go to Goodison they win comfortably with no issues. You cannot deny that Everton are twice the team they usually are when they play against Liverpool

Edit: Tomous they absolutely are compare to how they play against the other top teams near the top of the table. Especially at Goodison.

Let's take the past 5 fixtures at Goodison -

3 draws, 1 Liverpool win, 1 everton win.

Man City at Goodison past 5 fixture - all Man city wins.

It could show that Man City are just a better team than Liverpool.

But it definitely shows an area where Man City often gain 2 points over a close rival every season, and Liverpool often pick up a scrappy injury and frustration.
2019 it was the fixture that lost us the title, this year it wasn't far off.

Ste
Joined in 2008

by Ste » Sat May 11, 2024 5:34 pm

Curls wrote:
Ste wrote:

Lolz wot?

It's a scrappy fixture, often with injury's they commit awful fowls that they wouldn't do against any other team(they absolutely broke Van Dijk). Cards are sometimes involved. They play negatively and doggedly. When City , Spurs or Arsenal go to Goodison they win comfortably with no issues. You cannot deny that Everton are twice the team they usually are when they play against Liverpool

Edit: Tomous they absolutely are compare to how they play against the other top teams near the top of the table. Especially at Goodison.

In the last 15 years we've won twice. And even one of them was in a empty Anfield against a Liverpool team decimated by injury. In the 10 years prior to that it wasn't much better. You have to go back to 90s when it was even.

Apart from Van Dyke (who took out Rodriguez that game) what other injury has there been? Even that wasnt intentional. I remember Fellaini being put out for the season and Gerrard and Carragher quite often verged on GBH.

No complaints about how we play in them.

Arsenal don't have a decent recent record at Goodison. Chelsea neither. Spurs and City yes but we were Citys bogie team (although not really bogie, we were just better) for a long time.

Being twice the team is not consistent with how we approach the game i.e gooseberry fool scared and don't even try to win
most of the time.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:39 pm

Everton have done really well considering the deductions they’ve had, likewise Forest as well. Sheff Utd have been woeful, Burnley poor and Luton have done well to be honest, I’d have liked to see them stay up as well.

Surely Everton’s results against Liverpool, show they’re properly up for the derby match though? Not saying they don’t put a shift in against other top teams, but derbies always have that bit extra, even if they’re sometimes dull.

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 5:42 pm

Haha, If we were in March next year with Liverpool and Man City head to head again, and both of them due an away trip to Goodison park....who would the media be thinking would be more likely to slip up?

I'm not talking about 40 years of history, I'm talking about the past few years with the Title race between Liverpool and Man City often being close. In fact, from a biased and potentially wrong point of view. I often feel even teams like Man United will play better against Liverpool than they do against City because the rivalry is just stronger. Of course that argument is from a bitter part of me that's sick of seeing the title go to City, and I couldn't back that up with any actual evidence. Liverpool's downfall is often their inability to kill off a game and thats on them and nobody else, but historic rivals take great pride in being dogged and strong against Liverpool and often seem to not have that mentality against City.

However! I've watched far more Liverpool game than I have City games and I feel a lot more emotion when I'm watching Liverpool playing, it's all just sport at the end of the day, and everyone views it differently.

I know one thing though, I'd happily never see Liverpool play at Goodison park again.....maybe the Albert docks will be better xD

Ste
Joined in 2008

by Ste » Sat May 11, 2024 5:43 pm

In fact, Liverpool are Everton's bogie team (not that we should have won loads more but)

Mane last minute winner at Goodison
Your kids team beating us
Pickford last minute strawberry float up
VVD last minute winner in FA Cup tie
Sturridge late equaliser at Goodison
We finished above you for 2 seasons ((Hodgson and Dalglish) and only won once but lost the FA cup semi.
Rodwell sending off
Clattenburg derby
McAllister last minute winner
Hutchinson disallowed goal

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Sat May 11, 2024 9:16 pm

Curls wrote:
Ste wrote:

Lolz wot?

Let's take the past 5 fixtures at Goodison -

3 draws, 1 Liverpool win, 1 everton win.

Man City at Goodison past 5 fixture - all Man city wins.

It could show that Man City are just a better team than Liverpool.

But it definitely shows an area where Man City often gain 2 points over a close rival every season, and Liverpool often pick up a scrappy injury and frustration.
2019 it was the fixture that lost us the title, this year it wasn't far off.

This is not bogey team form

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 11:48 pm

You know what I'm getting at and what I mean by this. You're picking at one word.

Would the sentence, 'Liverpool sometimes (But not every time sometimes they play well in fact if you look at the history of Liverpool Vs Everton then they don't fair too badly.) struggle more against Everton than teams near or around them in the table', suit this conversation better?

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

by sawyerpip » Sat May 11, 2024 11:57 pm

Nah, you're talking absolute bollocks, since 2010 we've beaten you only three times, if anyone should be moaning about the derby it's us :lol:

Ste
Joined in 2008

by Ste » Sat May 11, 2024 11:59 pm

Curls wrote:Would the sentence, 'Liverpool sometimes (But not every time sometimes they play well in fact if you look at the history of Liverpool Vs Everton then they don't fair too badly.) struggle more against Everton than teams near or around them in the table', suit this conversation better?

No.

The last 3 years we've been in a relagation fight, but prior to that we've have a few mid-table years but generally have been fighting for Europe, and a lot of the time "best of the rest".

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sun May 12, 2024 12:15 am

Sigh, I'll continue to have my bollocks and wrong opinions then. Good night football thread.

Everton fans should be happy that a Liverpool fan dreads the fixture really, isn't that what it's all about for you ;-)

Return to “Stuff”