Car Thread II

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Albert
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Albert » Fri May 10, 2024 9:15 am

Winckle wrote:First big charge on the home charger done, 20%->90%. Spoilered for large screenshot:

1.6p per mile, never going back to petrol again.

That's amazing! I was very tempted by electric but just wanted at least one more Petrol before it was too late.

What's the range? 0-60?

That's what always stuns me with these electric cars, when you see a big ol lump/4x4 and then get told it's 0-60 in under 4 seconds!

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Fri May 10, 2024 9:34 am

I only have the base "engine" type, Standard Range, Single Motor.

0-60 is 6.4 seconds in this model with 250 miles "Real world range". Full details here with all the different range expectations under different conditions.

Above this model there's the Long Range single motor with 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 280 miles of "real life" range.

Then there's Dual Motor Long Range with 0-60 at 4.5 seconds and 280 miles of range.

Lastly for the electroheads out there, there's the LRDM Performance with 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 280 miles of range. (Though probably not if you keep flooring it at every light :lol:)

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 3:11 pm

Anyone know much about car bodywork damage?

I've got some damage to my door and a bit of the frame below from a mixture of being switched off whilst driving, and some horrific bollard placement in Tesco. I wasn't going to get it fixed, but people are now saying to me it'll fail an MOT.

I've taken a video of it, is there somewhere online i could post the video and they tell me if it'd pass mot or not? I really don't want to have to pay £100's of pounds for something that has absolutely no affect on my life or the way my car drives and functions.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:22 pm

Isn’t it the case re bodywork, that as long as there is no sharp edges on the damaged area, it’ll pass the MOT fine?

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sat May 11, 2024 3:37 pm

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but leave it until the MOT is due. If it fails, then get the work done.

If you want to be more proactive, get some quotes, and maybe ask an MOT centre, off the record, if it would be a fail. (They might refuse to say, but you can ask.)

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sat May 11, 2024 3:42 pm

Got to be honest, that’s a bit worse than you’d implied.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:51 pm

That’ll pull out with one of those auction cup things :lol:

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 4:11 pm

No idea if this will work....

but thats the damage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KDtXL7eqTFEjG6VK6

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sat May 11, 2024 5:08 pm

Ooh. I don’t know enough about it, but if that was mine I’d definitely be getting it looked at. If it’s structural, there might be an argument that the frame is weakened at that point, and would buckle in a crash.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:13 pm

Yeah, they could say it’s weakened structurally, something like that would probably class mine as a write off with it being nearly 17 years old :lol:

What the hell was the offending bollard like in the car park?

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 5:21 pm

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QLwo5a3aoC4ktuv37

Was here, its a purposely built high wall to stop people turning left...the road was clear about 7pm, i didn't understand why I couldn't turn left, so i disobeyed the sign and tried to turn left.....as you can see, I'm not the 1st victem and i won't be the last, tesco shouldn't be allowed to build something like that that causes so much damage....but it certainly stopped me turning left.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:23 pm

I was going to say, you’re definitely the first person to and won’t be the last!

LewisD
#grcadesangle
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD

by LewisD » Sat May 11, 2024 7:02 pm

Curls wrote:No idea if this will work....

but thats the damage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KDtXL7eqTFEjG6VK6

Probably not what you want to hear, but I was told that one of my vans at work would be written off for similar damage (a forklift reversed into it).

Apparently even though the doors functioned and there was no jagged sharp sticky outey bits the cost to repair the frame makes it not viable.

See if it gets through MOT first, but probably best not trying to have it sorted.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Sat May 11, 2024 10:38 pm

I can see insurance writing off something like that because a body shop wouldn’t be arsed with the hassle of sorting it out - it looks like it’s on the main frame of the car

— unrelated but I’ve been enjoying the top down driving the last couple of weeks, and got my first Porsche hello today, fellow boxster friend enjoying the sun gave me a flash and a wave - I’m part of the club now

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 11:46 pm

Are you guys all saying I should contact my insurance to get it sorted then? Not ideal.... It happened weeks ago...

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 11, 2024 11:59 pm

God this has scared me, then there is the fact it'd happened in a private car park. Can you even claim on insurance if it happened in car park?

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sun May 12, 2024 12:08 am

You were arguably not actually in the car park when it happened.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Sun May 12, 2024 11:41 am

I’m not saying you should contact the insurance, but just that if they were involved they would probably price that quite high based on the location. If you are really concerned get down to a body shop and see what they reckon. I think they will probably say it needs to be pulled into line with a frame jig.

Also, I don’t think it matters where you crash, if you did it you did it, the wall didn’t crash into you, so whatever private body will probably just tell you to eat gooseberry fool. Not having a pop just saying you would have zero grounds in a complaint. Insurance would almost certainly cover it on a your fault basis, as long as it wasn’t on a race track a crash is a crash.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Sun May 12, 2024 11:46 am

Had another watch of the vid and I reckon they would be able to pull that straight, there isn’t any kink to the inner edge of the door frame - but it looks scary based on location

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 am

Curls wrote:Are you guys all saying I should contact my insurance to get it sorted then? Not ideal.... It happened weeks ago...

Don't speak to insurance.

Take it to a few body shops for quotes/their opinions on whether it's necessary to get an idea. Then do it just before the MOT is due if they all say it's required.

Return to “Stuff”