PostRe: General PC Help Thread - OP updated with useful links -
by False » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 pm

I use a TV.

Its fine.

systematic
Joined in 2010

by systematic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Irene Demova wrote:Supposedly there's issues with reading text if you have a massive tv but that's really just a case of resolution rather than something to check with the tv itself

There will also be slight colour reproduction and other issues if you use a television that doesn't support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

Low Latency is important but don't forget 4:4:4 Chroma! (HDTV gaming)

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:05 pm

I had issues with blacks on my Pioneer TV for some reason, where they all looked a bit faded, but managed to find some form of fix I ran once on the PC and is now all sorted. I think it's something to do with full RGB or something.

Never had an issue since.

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Oh, and Crysis had an issue running at full screen at 1080p, which is apparently quite common, so had to setup a custom res that was like 1 pixel below the norm.

zXe
Joined in 2008

by zXe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am

What's a reasonable price to sell an E8600 Dual Core CPU. Like if it's even fair to sell it as it's kind of old now.. though my be useful for someone doing a basic build. I've had it sitting around for ages and I have no use for it personally. So would like to sell it, but not be a banana split about the price, just fair and reasonable. Also if anyones interested, give me a shout :shifty:

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Albear wrote:Oh, and Crysis had an issue running at full screen at 1080p, which is apparently quite common, so had to setup a custom res that was like 1 pixel below the norm.

I had the same thing, because crysis is a banana split. Its because it defaults to 24hz if your screen supports it for whatever retarded reason. If you change it to 50,59,60hz etc, it just defaults back to 24 unless you run it at suboptimal res or borderless windowed.

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

That's the bugger. Such a strange bug to leave in a game of that technical level.

Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008

by Green Gecko » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 pm

It's probably because at the time most widescreen displays were 16:10 resolutions like 1920x1200 (which I have). Shortly after this changed to 16:9 probably because of blu ray and consoles.

"It should be common sense to just accept the message Nintendo are sending out through their actions."

❤ btw GRcade costs money and depends on donations - please support one of the UK's oldest video gaming forums → HOW TO DONATE
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Dudes, would there be any interest in a full home media setup guide?

If there is, Ive just got a chromecast and all the gear for a server so could knock one together if anyone would be interested in reading what I end up with.

Andrew Mills
Guides Sec.
Joined in 2008

by Andrew Mills » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Looking for a workstation-like laptop in the £300ish range (can be a refurb), that allows me to use Adobe Creative Cloud (so 4GB ram min/64-bit OS), with a decent enough processor for 720p HD video encodes and editing. I had a Lenovo T-410 i5 for £200 (refurb), but the fan stopped working on the first and replacement ones (known issue apparently), which was a shame as it was a great laptop for working with. Anyone got any recommendations?

That's not a growth
Joined in 2008

by That's not a growth » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm

I'd be interested in the software side of things/ how it all works together rather than just a build guide since I've never gotten around to setting up my living room PC properly it might inspire me.

Andrew Mills
Guides Sec.
Joined in 2008

by Andrew Mills » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Falsey wrote:Dudes, would there be any interest in a full home media setup guide?

If there is, Ive just got a chromecast and all the gear for a server so could knock one together if anyone would be interested in reading what I end up with.

Sounds good. My WD TV is starting to get a bit funky and randomly not playing files it then plays 2 mins later. So a reliable method would be mucho appreciated. :D

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Why not get a third party fan?

Andrew Mills
Guides Sec.
Joined in 2008

by Andrew Mills » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Falsey wrote:Why not get a third party fan?

:?:

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Measure the fan size, buy a good fan the same size and put it in.

systematic
Joined in 2010

by systematic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Replacing cooling fan in Lenovo Thinkpad T410 (assuming you have the model with integrated graphics)

This is the replacement fan you need: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NEW-F ... 566255ab5d

Andrew Mills
Guides Sec.
Joined in 2008

by Andrew Mills » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:31 pm

I bought the T-410 not long ago and had to return both of them after a fortnight each. So the store simply refunded me instead of sending me a second replacement laptop. So I'm looking for a new laptop again.

HM
Joined in 2008

by HM » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:40 pm

A little bit of monitor help please. Looking for a 27inch, 2560 x 1440 monitor mainly for gaming and narrowed it down to these two:

AOC Q2770Pqu 27 inch

ViewSonic VP2770-LED 27 inch

Either any good? Is there a better option for max £450/500? How come so many usb ports these days? Is HDMI the best cable option? Are the options, like dvi or displayport just as good as hdmi?

Igor wrote:HM is the man you should all strive to be.
Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Not quite the same but I have a ViewSonic VX2370 and I'd definitely recommend it. Got it at the end of 2013 and I've been more than happy with it.

Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Samsung are bringing out a 27" 4K screen for ~£450 this month.

It's a TN panel but supposed to be excellent.

Finally getting around to swapping out my 320GB placeholder laptop HDD in my PC to a 1TB HDD I've had sitting around for ages. Need to free up some space on my SSD, too.

instagram: @habiz

Return to “Archive”