Can moving an ISO file corrupt it? (Windows 7 image)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

PostCan moving an ISO file corrupt it? (Windows 7 image)
by chalkitdown » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:21 pm

OK so I tried reinstalling Windows 7 yesterday as my computer is slow and buggy as gooseberry fool. I left my original disc at home in Ireland so I had to download a copy. (My laptop originally came with Vista which is what I restored it back to when Windows 7 wouldnt install. Vista *shudders*). Anyway, it worked fine when I tested it initially. Brought up the W7 install screen as soon as I mounted the file. But then I moved it to my external hard drive and it would no longer work. I thought that it just wouldn't work from there so I moved it back to the laptop and still the same problem. I get two error messages. One that says spwizeng.dll is missing or not designed to work on windows and the other is for autorun.dll which states the same stuff.

Is it just a strawberry floated file from moving it? Anyone had this problem before while installing Windows?

Mommy Christmas
Multiball!
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Can moving an ISO file corrupt it? (Windows 7 image)
by Mommy Christmas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Are you just moving files or reinstalling? I'm sure its something to do with the registry not seeing the file.

:dread:
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:03 pm

You can corrupt any file if the moving doesnt complete properly.

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Moving files around one hard drive is unlikely to cause corruption, but moving files between hard drives can result in corruption unfortunately. On big, important files, you should probably copy instead, and then verify the integrity of the new file before deleting the old one.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Well, balls. I'll have to download it again and put up with Vista for the time being. Oh lawd. Explorer's already frozen on me twice, once while moving a file to the recycle bin. :fp:

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 pm

There's very little that can't corrupt a file really.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 am

Karlprof wrote:Moving files around one hard drive is unlikely to cause corruption, but moving files between hard drives can result in corruption unfortunately. On big, important files, you should probably copy instead, and then verify the integrity of the new file before deleting the old one.

That's because it's not actually moving the file, right? Just the FAT reference to it.

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:37 am

Yeah, when you move a file internally to one hard drive it doesn't touch the data, whereas moving a file between drives it has to essentially copy the file and then delete the original anyway, so you may as well do that process yourself so that you can verify it went okay before deleting the original.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Use an MD5 program to compare the checksums of the two files.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:

Return to “Stuff”