FIRE QUARKDOWNLOAD NOW
(In case you don't have it installed already.)About the Game
This is a Breakout-style game with a twist. The aim is simply to destroy every brick on the screen without dropping the ball. You get three lives to progress as far as you can through ten levels. Rather than controlling just the one paddle, however, you use the mouse to control four - one on each side of the screen. If you let me know how far you manage to get, I'll keep track of everyone's progress here in a snazzy leader board
.Screenshots Installation Instructions
- Download the .zip file above and extract the contents to anywhere on your hard drive, making sure you leave the directory structure intact.
- Open the 'Fire Quark' folder and double-click 'StartFireQuark.bat' to play the game.
- The above assumes you're using Windows. If you're running something like Ubuntu, I'm sure you can make yourself a shell script to do the same thing. If you're on a Mac then you're entirely on your own.
- The above also assumes you have the latest version of Java installed. Chances are you already do, but if not, please head here to download it.
I've spent quite a bit of time optimising the game, so it should
run on most PCs. However, this is a Java game and my optimisations probably aren't quite as all-encompassing as they could be so the specs are a little higher than I'd like.
- Java 6 Runtime Environment
- 256MB RAM
- 32MB VRAM (recommended)
- 2GHz CPU (approx.)
- Mouse (recommended)
- Paddle movementLeft-click
- Release ball from paddleRight-click
- Fire paddle lasersMouse wheel or Z/X
- Change launch angleEscape
- Exit gameEnter
- Return to start screenM
- Toggle sound on/offH
- Toggle hints on/offF11
- Toggle full screenGeneral Information
- Bricks' borders indicate how many hits are required to destroy them. No border = 1 hit. Grey border = 2 hits. White border = 3 or more hits.
- The ball's direction can be influenced by 'knocking' it with the paddle. Do this by moving the paddle as the ball makes contact with it. This is quite a tricky skill to master and I recommend having your mouse speed set to high to assist you here.
- When the ball collides with a brick, there is a finite chance that a power-up orb will be produced. These float slowly around the level until the ball makes contact with them. At this point they shoot off in a random direction. Catching an orb with a paddle will grant you a power-up.
- Green power-up orbs contain helpful power-ups, whilst red orbs will hinder you. Blue orbs contain extra special power-ups and purple orbs contain pure evil.
- The size of the orb gives a clue as to how substantial a power-up it contains.
- Once you've destroyed all of the bricks, you have to catch the ball on a paddle a final time before the level is finished. Don't forget!
- Bricks with a circle in their centre are bonus bricks. You do not have to destroy them to complete the level, but doing so will guarantee that a power-up orb is produced.
- Steel bricks cannot be destroyed.
- When you're down to the last brick of a level, you will be granted a single paddle laser after a short time to assist you. This is indicated by a red laser emitter appearing on the bottom paddle. Fire by right-clicking.
- Random hints appear occasionally at the top of the screen. Whenever you receive a power-up, its name will also be displayed here.
Hope you enjoy it! Constructive feedback is welcome, of course. I'd very much like to hear your comments. Also, if you have any problems getting it to run, then tell me of your woes and I'll do my best to help.
Mods: if you want to move this to Creative Corner then feel free. I just thought it would be nice to give it a bit more exposure here.Leader Board
Roonmastor - Level 6
Gorrable - Level 6
IGM - Level 5
Doug - Level 3
Mocky - Level 3
JK - Level 3
Puppet Boy - Level 3
Green Gecko - Level 2Anyone who finishes level 10 gets a spangly banner for their sig'!