The Official UK Playstation Magazine Chronology Blog [#8 up]

Anything to do with games at all.
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Official UK Playstation Magazine chronicle [issue #7 up]
by Christopher » Wed May 20, 2009 8:51 pm

I really need to have ebay open at all times. I need to buy some more issues. What number issue did the Final Fantasy VIII review appear in?

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Final Fantasy 7 in Issue 26. Lara Croft on the cover.
Final Fantasy 8 in Issue 51. Quake II on the cover.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Final Fantasy 7 in Issue 26. Lara Croft on the cover.
Final Fantasy 8 in Issue 51. Quake II on the cover.

I got hold of issue 26 with the demo disc. But cheers for the issue 51 heads up. I need to track this down.

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:25 am

Uhhh...if people are still interested, I might turn this into a blog soon. If I can manage 2 blogs, that is.

I haven't given this up, atm I just don't have much motivation to do it. Once I sort some other stuff in my life out I'll get back on it.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:31 am

Dangerblade wrote:Uhhh...if people are still interested, I might turn this into a blog soon. If I can manage 2 blogs, that is.

I haven't given this up, atm I just don't have much motivation to do it. Once I sort some other stuff in my life out I'll get back on it.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be interested in reading it.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:24 pm

suzzopher wrote:
Dangerblade wrote:Uhhh...if people are still interested, I might turn this into a blog soon. If I can manage 2 blogs, that is.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be interested in reading it.

THIS!

Deserves it's own website this stuff, not just hidden away on a forum.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:19 pm

:shifty:

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:49 pm

I've been up my sister's this week and last so not had chance. I will do it soon. Probably. :shifty:

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm going to try and track down Super Play issues too.

TomFromSouth
Joined in 2009

by TomFromSouth » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Are you going to post issue #8 yet?

Can't think of a decent signature, so here's a short one:

Han shot first!
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:44 pm

TomFromSouth wrote:Are you going to post issue #8 yet?

This.

I want to see this cover

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:30 pm

I will be posting it, I just don't know when. Lately it's been more of a chore than a pleasure, to be honest. :(

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:30 pm

I thought I may as well step in & fill the (temporary?) void. Here’s Issue 9...

Issue #9, August 1996

"Just give me an ill fitting leather jacket, an attitude the size of a Volvo, and call me Jeremy Clarkson. For this month we have some spanking new movers for the PlayStation, and most of them involve thrashing a motor at full pelt until you prang it. Move over Jez, I can do that car lingo.

On the CD we have a playable demo of Ridge Racer Revolution. In our reviews section, Impact Racing gets the green light. Then in PrePlay are the sequels to what were literally smash hits for Psygnosis last year: Wipeout 2097 & Demolition Derby 2.

In fact as Lomaz in Lemmingland also makes its debut for Psygnosis, we focus on the Liverpool firm who have helped Sony make such a success of the PlayStation. Monster Trucks is the fourth of the Psygnosis quartet and is every bit as explosive as its illustrious stablemates. And then, just when you'd have thought we'd had enough of Crashes, along comes the Bandicoot in our exclusive Crash-test of Sony's new platform star.

Top Gear or what?"

Rob Pegley (Editor)

Features

Psygnosis

Intro: 'Psygnosis have sold more PlayStation games in Europe than any other publishers. They are responsible for the single best selling game in Europe, Destruction Derby. The Wipeout experience is a product of the firm's success story and the PlayStation itself owes much to their knowledge and experience. They are, quite simply, the most exciting PlayStation publishers in the current market. And they're British. PSM looks at the best thing to come out of Liverpool in recent times, other than Steve MacManaman...'

PrePlay

ImageImageImage
Destruction Derby 2 & Monster Trucks
Wipeout 2097
Crash Bandicoot
Lomax in Lemmingland
Centrecourt
EA Sports Line Up for the 97 season (Andretti Racing '97, PGA Tour Golf, John Madden)
Bedlam
Return Fire
Acclaim Line Up (WWF: In Your House, NFL Club Quarterback, Disney's Space Jam, NBA Jam Extreme, The Crow 2, Batman Forever, Dragon Heart, Iron & Blood, Magic: The Gathering, Dragon Heart)
Bubble Bobble

In The News

Sony go Soft on Prices: Classic Games for less than £20
Small is Beautiful: Micro Machines 3 comes to the PlayStation
First Cut is the Deepest: Sony are Winning the Price War (£199.99).
Chips with Everything: Datel launch import Conversion Chip
Death Warmed Up Again: Discworld 2
Fantasy Takes Shape: Final Fantasy VII
Datel launch a 3.5 inch floppy disc drive for the PlayStation. Retails for $100.

On the Disc

Ridge Racer Revolution (1 track, 1 lap playable demo)
Slam'N'Jam (Playable)
Discworld (Playable - re-run from issue 1 after strong reader demand)

PlayTest

Actua Golf
Lead Review
'A long time in the offing, Actua Golf plays a slick 36 holes. The player movement is fluid and the commentary quite splendid. Play a round'
8/10

Slam 'n' Jam '96
'Slam 'n' Jam is the blow-up doll of the basketball sim world. Looks wrong, feels wrong, but isn't bad in one-player mode.'
5/10

Pro Pinball - The Web
'An expensive soujourn into the world of pinball (one table, no more) but there is no denying that Pro Pinball is one of the finest examples to date'
7/10

Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels
'Combing action and thinking in one tidily atmospheric package, Space Hulk is undoubtedly a game that will last and last.'
8/10

Sampras Extreme Tennis
'A competent, playable tennis game, though somewhat lacking in the "Wow" factor. But you'll get hours of gameplay from SET, particularly with two players.'
7/10

AIV Evolution Global
'A thoughtful, detailed simulation marred only by a lack of specific objectives. Not quite a Sim City beater, but a good enough time filler until something else arrives.'
7/10

Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball
'Smart title on the surface, but several aspects have been handled sloppily. With luck a sequel will appear with these problems addressed and it'll be smart.'
6/10

The Aquanaut's Holiday
'A nice idea but one that's not possible to pull off fully with today's technology. Nice for a few hours but that's about it. Should have put some gameplay in.'
4/10

Olympic Games
'There's some fun to be had in multiplayer mode, but even then this isn't the best example of the genre and is a thoroughly average game all round.'
5/10

Olympic Soccer
'Never a license to die for, but an intelligent learning curve, accessible controls and realistic gameplay make this surprisingly habit-forming.' [Just screens, strangely - KK]
7/10

StarFighter 3000
'It's actually a heap of fun in the early stages, but the difficulty level rockets up too soon. This coupled with the tawdry visuals make is largely unworthwhile.'
5/10

Impact Racing
'IR is reasonably exciting in short bursts but you won't play it for long. It doesn't look or drive as well as Ridge Racer. But you still get guns.'
5/10

Top Secret - Cheats

Ridge Racer Revolution
NBA Jam Tourny Edition
Destruction Derby
Descent
GEX
Need for Speed
Shellshock
NFL Gameday
Magic Carpet

Page Count: A paltry 98, only 79 editorial.

KK
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Official UK Playstation Magazine chronicle [issue #9 up]
by KK » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Issue #108, March 2004

'Well, this is it. Eight years on, more laughs than an entire series of Mad About Alice could possibly generate behind us and here we are - The. Last. OPM. Ever.
But whereas some magazines scurry away in the night like some guilt-ridden half of a one night stand (having first wiped their proverbial todger on the curtains), OPM bows out with dignity. How exactly? With the bestest, most kick-ass farewell feature ever produced!

Inside you'll find everything from nostalgic look-backs to staff member dissections, the greatest hits of Justice to a build your own funeral set and a behind-the-scenes look at how the mag was made to your very own, just-for-fun reviews ouija board - hell, if we're not around to grade your games in person, our spirit will forever be at your service!

What else could befit such a significant passing? How about the biggest, most jampacked disc imaginable? Sure, there are a few demos on there you will have seen before, plus a new one you haven't, but also included are 20 - yes, that's TWENTY of the best Yaroze games of all time. Full games you understand, not demos. Check 'em out, some are good enough to be stand-aloners!

So all that's left for me to say is farewell, God bless and a bloody big thanks for being there and joining us for the ride. They journey's over and, alas, it is now time to get off!'

Ryan Butt (Editor)

Features

The Last One Ever! It's All Over
Intro: 'This is it, then. The last ever OPM. We've been staving off the inevitable for months now, battling the bean-counters in our quest to keep on bringing you the only - and the best - PSone mag available, bur finally our time has come. It's time for us to shuffle off this mortal coil, as it were. But not quite yet...'

Welcome to the Dark Side! The Wonderful World of PlayStation 2
Intro: 'We have come to the end of an era. Hold our hand as we guide you down the path to a whole new world...'

The 108 Greatest PSone Cheats

The Last Ever OPM Top Ten Sales Charts (in association with GAME)

1. Dance: UK
2. Fifa Football 2003
3. Beyblade: Let it Rip
4. Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories
5. Dance Stage Fever
6. Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets
7. Disney Triple Pack: Hercules/Jungle Book/Bug's Life
8. Digimon World 2003
9. Dancing Stage Disney Mix
10. Metal Slug X

OPM's Top Ten Best PSone Games Of All Time

10. Buttsubushi
9. Ape Escape
8. Medal of Honor
7. Tony Hawk's 2
6. Resident Evil 2
5. Gran Turismo 2
4. Tomb Raider
3. PaRappa The Rapper
2. ISS Pro Evo 2
1. Metal Gear Solid

Reviews

XS Junior League Soccer
'Fun for kids but easier than Jordan for experienced players.'
5/10

Ford Truck Mania
'Big career good editor, top two-player. Like a Yorkie. Chunky, filling, but gives you man-knockers!'
7/10

On the Disc

Archer McLean's 3D Pool (Playable demo)
Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis (Playable demo)
Bomberman World (Playable demo)
Bust-A-Groove (Playable demo)
Crash Bash (Playable demo)
Dancing Stage Fever (Playable demo)
Ms Pac Man Maze Madness (Playable demo)
Music 2000 (Playable demo)
Pipe Mania 3D (Playable demo)
PaRappa The Rapper (Playable demo)
Vib Ribbon (Playable demo)
Adventure Game (Yaroze)
Arena (Yaroze)
GIT (Yaroze)
Decaying Orbit (Yaroze)
Bouncer 2 (Yaroze)
Blitter Boy (Yaroze)
Down (Yaroze)
Gravitation (Yaroze)
INVS (Yarzoe)
Pushy 2B (Yaroze)
Robot Ron (Yaroze)
Roller (Yaroze)
Total Soccer (Yaroze)
Yarozians (Yaroze)
Timeslip (Yaroze)
Tanx (Yaroze)
Super Bub Contest (Yaroze)
Snowball Fight (Yaroze)
Shroud (Yaroze)
Samsaric Asymptotes (Yaroze)

Page Count: 98

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Official UK Playstation Magazine chronicle [issue #9/108 up]
by Christopher » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Cheers KK.

I need that final issue and demo damn it :x

Cropolite
Joined in 2008
AKA: concon777

by Cropolite » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Nice read KK

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 am

Nice one KK

This stuff needs it's own website though, too big for a forum!

Dual
Joined in 2008

by Dual » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:20 am

What's Buttsubushi?

Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Okay, let's get back on the air.

http://officialukplaystationmagazine.blogspot.com/

I've been thinking about this for awhile, but I procrastinate, a lot. Anyway, it's here now, and because of this, I'll find it more enjoyable to get the issues previewed and uploaded. Thanks to Nick for the suggestion.

Thanks to KKLEIN for those 2 issues. Once I get around to #9 I'll add the trivia (best section) as well. I might steal the disc scan idea as well. :shifty:

Dual wrote:What's Buttsubushi?

Some puzzle game released in 2003. I always thought it curious they put that at #10. I've never seen the game ANYWHERE.

Now, a request. I need a logo. One 646x112 and one 220x75. If anybody that reads this thread is decent with photoshop, and can shove something Playstation related together, that would be great. I'd have a go at extracting the logo from one of the issues, and basing it around that, but it's a bit too fiddly for me.

Anyway, #8 will be up soon, for real.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Nice

It's in my favourites

Return to “Games”