'The GRCade Games Guru Competition X'

Our best bits.
Nova
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 'The GRCade Games Guru Competition X' RESULTS NIGHT! p25
by Nova » Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 pm

I don't think PR's entry suited pokemon all that much, but the idea was good and way better than other efforts in that group.

EDIT - It's disappointing that someone who had clearly gone to a lot of effort to put something in went out behind people who thought much less thought into an original and interesting idea. But I suppose that's how voting works!

Last edited by Nova on Sun May 26, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSA
Joined in 2008

by BSA » Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 pm

Yeeeah vote for Barrbait :D

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun May 26, 2013 10:18 pm

TASK TWO – 'THE ALPHABET SONG'

Many speak of it in hushed tones, some dare not speak its name – but all fear THE ALPHABET SONG.

Whilst a big test of creativity up front is always a welcome thing to find those dedicated and tuned in enough to stay around, we really do need to test your gaming knowledge early and make sure we don’t have any phonies in this thread. So this is a simple challenge of gaming knowledge.

Below is a video which contains the dreaded ‘Alphabet Song’, a song that contains 26 letters from A-Z all from the box-art of famous videogames. Your task is simply to tell me what they are. All of them appear in the box art as they appear in the video, but not ALL the letters are necessarily the first letters of the games in question.

This is an INDIVIDUAL challenge and there is to be NO discussion between squadron members. If I find any evidence of people doing so, I will kick you out of the contest. Also, you are not to use any image recognition software and you are not to have friends or other areas help you in your quest to work out these games. You may however use Google to assist your search.

You have until 6pm on Wednesday to get your answers in via PM to myself (you may only send one PM) – with results coming that evening. Each correctly guessed game will score you 1pt, with guesses in the right series but the wrong game scoring half a point (I will however be quite lenient on this) – and these marks will be transferred into marks of 20pts for the best result down to 1pt for the worst result. All the players in the team will contribute to an average score between all players in a squadron – and the two squadrons with the highest averages will be safe.

The two squadrons with the lowest averages will have the lowest scoring player eliminated for the 3rd place squadron, and the TWO lowest scoring players eliminated for the 4th placed squadron.

Good luck guys!

DML

Delusibeta
Joined in 2011

by Delusibeta » Sun May 26, 2013 10:21 pm

*goes to Google Image Search*

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Also for the record - the Outcasts were due to have six members tonight, hence why we are working with average scores from now on as thats how many members I was expecting.

Truly though, for only gaining a single vote of 1pt each, I couldn't justify either StayDead or Dark Ritual staying after Parkreiner had put up such a good fight. No-one has ever got through a GGGC task scraping a point and I didn't want to start now.

invincible
Joined in 2013

by invincible » Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Cool task, annoying music.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Dark Ritual got through last year with one point. Lie if it makes you feel any better. :lol:

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm

DML wrote:TASK TWO – 'THE ALPHABET SONG'

Many speak of it in hushed tones, some dare not speak its name – but all fear THE ALPHABET SONG.

Whilst a big test of creativity up front is always a welcome thing to find those dedicated and tuned in enough to stay around, we really do need to test your gaming knowledge early and make sure we don’t have any phonies in this thread. So this is a simple challenge of gaming knowledge.

Below is a video which contains the dreaded ‘Alphabet Song’, a song that contains 26 letters from A-Z all from the box-art of famous videogames. Your task is simply to tell me what they are. All of them appear in the box art as they appear in the video, but not ALL the letters are necessarily the first letters of the games in question.

This is an INDIVIDUAL challenge and there is to be NO discussion between squadron members. If I find any evidence of people doing so, I will kick you out of the contest. Also, you are not to use any image recognition software and you are not to have friends or other areas help you in your quest to work out these games. You may however use Google to assist your search.

You have until 6pm on Wednesday to get your answers in via PM to myself (you may only send one PM) – with results coming that evening. Each correctly guessed game will score you 1pt, with guesses in the right series but the wrong game scoring half a point (I will however be quite lenient on this) – and these marks will be transferred into marks of 20pts for the best result down to 1pt for the worst result. All the players in the team will contribute to an average score between all players in a squadron – and the two squadrons with the highest averages will be safe.

The two squadrons with the lowest averages will have the lowest scoring player eliminated for the 3rd place squadron, and the TWO lowest scoring players eliminated for the 4th placed squadron.

Good luck guys!

DML

Quick question before I get cracking, one or two of those letters could be from more than one game in a series. Do I need to get the exact title right?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 pm

StayDead wrote:Dark Ritual got through last year with one point. Lie if it makes you feel any better. :lol:

I didn't want either of you to go - but it seems like a nonsense to do a tie breaker for two people who had 1pt, when we are whittling down to one player in the end anyway. I'm not lying to anyone - but I am sorry to see you go Staydead. As it was, it was the last minute vote that put you in the tiebreaker, and not the other way round. Until the final hour you didn't have a single vote.

Delusibeta
Joined in 2011

by Delusibeta » Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 pm

I've got 14 definites and three fairly sures out of the 26 already.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:Quick question before I get cracking, one or two of those letters could be from more than one game in a series. Do I need to get the exact title right?

I'm gonna be lenient on this - if several games share the same titles then that will suffice, but say its a game in the series that has a very different looking title, then I will want that specific one. I will give half points however in this scenario if you pick the wrong game.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Well, I'm screwed!

Call and Answer
Joined in 2008

by Call and Answer » Sun May 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Missing 8, confident of the others. Feeling OK about this one so far. Utterly shocked to still be here, what with all this craziness.

Douglas Adams wrote:I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Sun May 26, 2013 10:35 pm

That's gotta be the easiest task you've ever done. I got nearly all of them in the first watch. :lol:

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Sun May 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Can someone compile that into an image because strawberry float playing that vid every time.

PaperMacheMario
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

by PaperMacheMario » Sun May 26, 2013 10:42 pm

StayDead wrote:That's gotta be the easiest task you've ever done. I got nearly all of them in the first watch. :lol:

Someone's felt the need to take over from Zeni...

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Sun May 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Falsey wrote:Can someone compile that into an image because strawberry float playing that vid every time.

There is a VERY good reason that is a video and not an image.

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sun May 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Falsey wrote:Can someone compile that into an image because strawberry float playing that vid every time.

It's in video form to presumably try and deter others from using the google image capture thing.

Delusibeta
Joined in 2011

by Delusibeta » Sun May 26, 2013 10:58 pm

So, after some Googling, I've got it down to six missing. To Giant Bomb to test some theories.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Sun May 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Alrighty.

Ill make an image out of it and share it with no-one!

Return to “Archive”