PostRe: 'The GRCade Games Guru Competition X' RESULTS pg43--->
by Harman » Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Jesus, not sure how I made it through that but hey :lol:

Thanks for the sigs as well Delusi, they're awesome :wub:

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Wed May 29, 2013 11:49 pm

I am now typing up both the new tasks. Please make sure you look and understand the time frames for BOTH tasks - as there is quite a bit of crossover.

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

DML wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
plasticcoated wrote:
DML wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Are we getting the next task tonight? I have a bit of free time going into the early hours and it would be good to get a start.

I will try - but theres quite a bit to write up!

Take your time Lizzy. We are mere pawns. You control this. YOU control this.

On the other hand, this would not be possible were it not for us participants. 8-)

Don't make me go back to action figures. :cry:

I can imagine you marshalling along a load of action figures to your insane schemes.

AND THE FIRST ELIMINEE IS

BATMAN

Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 am

DML wrote:I am now typing up both the new tasks. Please make sure you look and understand the time frames for BOTH tasks - as there is quite a bit of crossover.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu May 30, 2013 12:05 am

'TASK THREE - THE MELTING POT'

In this task you will be writing a treatment for a video game to be released on next gen consoles. You must attempt to make the game as appealing as possible. However, I am not picking a topic for you - you are going to pick ideas for each other! Well....sort of.

This is 'The Melting Pot' - a place where ideas can be chucked in to see what becomes of them. Each of you may add an idea to 'The Melting Pot' by simply PMing me an idea for a game to be designed which is TEN WORDS OR LESS. So for instance it could be...

:arrow: Make your own dog grooming business.

:arrow: Baseball played in space.

:arrow: A game about watching paint dry.

Whatever you like! The zanier or out there the better!

However, don't be too nasty with your ideas - as who gets what entry will be TOTALLY random, and you COULD get your own idea back! So be careful! I am going to juice the pot with several ideas to start with - if you wish to add your own, you can secretly PM me them. This is not complusory, but its fun isn't it? If you wish to do this you have until 6pm tomorrow to do so, at which point the ideas will be pulled out and you will each be assigned a game to design!

You must then write a treatment for that game, how it will play, and why people will WANT to play it.

:arrow: Your treatment must be under 1,000 words.

:arrow: You may include ONE picture to be used with your piece.

:arrow: You have until Monday @ 4.30pm to get your entries in! Once all ideas are in - the ideas will be posted in the thread for a 24 hour long voting period. Your opponents will be voting based on the following criteria;

How much they would like to play the game
How well it has stuck to the theme
The suitability of this game to be showcased at an event such as E3

Once all the votes are counted, the two teams with the lowest average scores will lose 2 players and 1 player respectively. Also, the players who do not make it through will have their entries for Task Four discarded, and they will not be counted in the calculation for teams in that round. A failure to submit an entry will see you eliminated with a DQ.

Good luck - but that of course isn't it....you have another task to consider as well...

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 am

Interesting. Hopefully the other task is a straight music round or something, to juxtapose with this one.

plasticcoated
Joined in 2009

by plasticcoated » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 am

I don't get it.

:msgreen:
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 am

TASK FOUR - 'THE CHARTS OF DOOM'

Polls? POLLS? Pah - we laugh in the face of Polls! This is the new doom-monger in GGGC - and boy is it going to test you! If you can get past this task as WELL, then you really have to be considered a contender for the title of Guru!

One of the more popular past-times is people commenting on how well (or not in some cases) videogames have sold. As a result of this 'Chart-Track' threads get posted up most weeks so people can comment. However, theres very little PREDICTION of these charts - and that my friends is your fourth challenge.

I want you to try and guess the games that will appear in the Chart Track for the week ending the 1st of JUNE. To give you some idea - the GFK Chart Track for the current week is here;

CHART-TRACK - WEEK ENDING 25th MAY

You have until 5pm on FRIDAY to get your guesses into me VIA PM for TEN games YOU believe will be in the charts. However - there is a risk/reward element at play. If you guess the number 1 entry - you will score 1pt, but get the number 40 entry....you'll get 40pts!

However, overshoot on any guess - and a non-appearance in the chart will cost you -20pts! So tread cautiously!

The results of this task will only be taken into account after we know the results of the previous 'Melting Pot' task - and yet again three players will be eliminated from the two weakest teams regards score averages. As the chart is due to come out Mon/Tues - the writing task will give you plenty to do before the chart is released!

How well do you truly know the games industry? Good luck!!

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 am

plasticcoated wrote:I don't get it.

Send me a zany game idea in ten words or less.

These get mixed up, everyone gets dished one out.

You have to create THAT game.

Everyone judges the games on how good they turned out.

Thats the task.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 am

That seems difficult. We have to fill all 40 spots?

Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Thu May 30, 2013 12:27 am

So that second task, you can guess upto 10 games? You have to say the game and what position it will be (from 1-40)
And every one you get wrong loses you 20 points?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu May 30, 2013 12:27 am

Falsey wrote:That seems difficult. We have to fill all 40 spots?

No - you only have to send TEN guesses. You score depending where they finish in the charts - 1pt for 1st, 40pts for 40th - and a score of -20pts for a game that fails to appear in the top forty.

Parksey
Joined in 2008

by Parksey » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 am

What is going on here?

It is like we have a task and some homework to be getting on with..Lizzy has turned into a harsh Victorian schoolmaster.

Regarding The Melting Pot, can the original 10-word brief be included before each piece? That way, if someone gets a dealt a particularly wicked hand, we can see what they had to work with? We can reward a piece that deals with a tricky subject set, or punish one which is perhaps given a gem of a concept by someone else, but fails to do anything with it.

My brief is simple. Got it already. I only need two words.

"Vampire Ghosts".

How can you shoot them? BULLETS WILL PASS STRAIGHT THROUGH. How can you see them? THEY HAVE NO REFLECTION AND ARE TRANSPARENT. Do they suck your blood? OH BUT HOW DO THEY BITE YOU WITH THEIR GHOST TEETH? Can they be killed? WELL YES, THEY ARE VAMPIRE GHOSTS AND HAVE ALREADY DIED TWICE!!!

Ahem, see.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 am

Fade wrote:So that second task, you can guess upto 10 games? You have to say the game and what position it will be (from 1-40)

Not exactly. You just send me the names of ten games you think will be IN the chart. You do not predict WHERE they will be, just that they WILL be in. You will then score more points the LOWER down the list it comes - with 1pt for 1st and 40pts if it appears 40th in the list.

If you make a mistake and name a game thats not in the top forty chart - you will score -20pts for that answer.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 am

Sound.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu May 30, 2013 12:31 am

Parksey wrote:What is going on here?

It is like we have a task and some homework to be getting on with..Lizzy has turned into a harsh Victorian schoolmaster.

Regarding The Melting Pot, can the original 10-word brief be included before each piece? That way, if someone gets a dealt a particularly wicked hand, we can see what they had to work with? We can reward a piece that deals with a tricky subject set, or punish one which is perhaps given a gem of a concept by someone else, but fails to do anything with it.

My brief is simple. Got it already. I only need two words.

"Vampire Ghosts".

How can you shoot them? BULLETS WILL PASS STRAIGHT THROUGH. How can you see them? THEY HAVE NO REFLECTION AND ARE TRANSPARENT. Do they suck your blood? OH BUT HOW DO THEY BITE YOU WITH THEIR GHOST TEETH? Can they be killed? WELL YES, THEY ARE VAMPIRE GHOSTS AND HAVE ALREADY DIED TWICE!!!

Ahem, see.

Yes it will be revealed in the thread who has got given what game ideas.

Also, the two tasks at once is a bit of a pain - but its to combat two things;

1) The chart doesn't come out til Tuesday - and I didn't really want to delay the task until further into the contest
2) To combat some peoples time frames.

EDIT - Either way its one intensive task, and one fairly quick task for you to do, once you have got the charts done you can throw all concentration behind the other one.

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Thu May 30, 2013 12:33 am

DML wrote:TASK FOUR - 'THE CHARTS OF DOOM'

Polls? POLLS? Pah - we laugh in the face of Polls! This is the new doom-monger in GGGC - and boy is it going to test you! If you can get past this task as WELL, then you really have to be considered a contender for the title of Guru!

One of the more popular past-times is people commenting on how well (or not in some cases) videogames have sold. As a result of this 'Chart-Track' threads get posted up most weeks so people can comment. However, theres very little PREDICTION of these charts - and that my friends is your fourth challenge.

I want you to try and guess the games that will appear in the Chart Track for the week ending the 1st of JUNE. To give you some idea - the GFK Chart Track for the current week is here;

CHART-TRACK - WEEK ENDING 25th MAY

You have until 5pm on FRIDAY to get your guesses into me VIA PM for TEN games YOU believe will be in the charts. However - there is a risk/reward element at play. If you guess the number 1 entry - you will score 1pt, but get the number 40 entry....you'll get 40pts!

However, overshoot on any guess - and a non-appearance in the chart will cost you -20pts! So tread cautiously!

The results of this task will only be taken into account after we know the results of the previous 'Melting Pot' task - and yet again three players will be eliminated from the two weakest teams regards score averages. As the chart is due to come out Mon/Tues - the writing task will give you plenty to do before the chart is released!

How well do you truly know the games industry? Good luck!!

Go strawberry float yourself.

Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Thu May 30, 2013 12:34 am

DML wrote:
Fade wrote:So that second task, you can guess upto 10 games? You have to say the game and what position it will be (from 1-40)

Not exactly. You just send me the names of ten games you think will be IN the chart. You do not predict WHERE they will be, just that they WILL be in. You will then score more points the LOWER down the list it comes - with 1pt for 1st and 40pts if it appears 40th in the list.

If you make a mistake and name a game thats not in the top forty chart - you will score -20pts for that answer.

Piece of piss, bring on the points.

Parksey
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 'The GRCade Games Guru Competition X' TASKS 3 and 4 p48!
by Parksey » Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 am

Might be wise editing in the 4th Tasks deadline into the topic title.

Some may get confused and think that the 3rd Task's Monday deadline is the next, when it is actually after the 4th one.

Basically, we need to get our briefs in by tomorrow, our charts in by Friday and our written pieces in by Monday.

Seems logical to do it in order, so I am getting my brief in tonight or early tomorrow.

Vampire ghosts, I'm telling you.

DML
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 'The GRCade Games Guru Competition X' TASKS 3 and 4 p48!
by DML » Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 am

SCHEDULE

DEADLINE FOR IDEAS FOR THE MELTING POT - 6pm TODAY (THURSDAY)

-then-

DEADLINE FOR GETTING IN YOUR TASK 4 CHARTS OF DOOM GUESSES - 5pm FRIDAY

-then-

DEADLINE FOR MELTING POT SUBMISSIONS - 4.30pm MONDAY

REMAINING CONTESTANTS

DALAGONASH
BSA
TRAGIC
BLACKOUTHERO
CORA

SKARJO
PLASTICCOATED
FALSEY
DIABOLITO
FRANK

CALL AND ANSWER
DELUSIBETA
DAN.

FADE
HARMAN
INVINCIBLE
PARKSEY

Last edited by DML on Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archive”