30%

Total votes: 10
Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PES 2014 (Fox Engine)
by Psychic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:37 pm

NickSCFC wrote:Can't get over how good the animations/animation system is on this, after FIFA's string puppets and PES's robots this feels like a whole new generation. The momentum looks perfect, take note, EA.

On the subject of PES 2013, NickSCFC wrote:Cut-scene and celebration animation is 2 generations ahead of FIFA.

How many generations are we ahead now? :o

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:50 pm

Bumped for new page

NickSCFC wrote:Can't get over how good the animations/animation system is on this, after FIFA's string puppets and PES's robots this feels like a whole new generation. The momentum looks perfect, take note, EA.

Some gifs from GameSpot's hands-on, the human controlled players are in red, notice how the AI adjusts as soon as the defender goes in for the ball in the first 2 gifs, the response is instant yet doesn't look scripted like in PES 2013/FIFA 13.

Dat barycentre physics :datass: (notice how Lahm knocks the ball to one side yet his body momentum continues to drag him forwards for a bit)

Dem flappy arms :datass:

Dat tussling

Doze cloth physics 8-)

PsychicSykes wrote:

On the subject of PES 2013, NickSCFC wrote:Cut-scene and celebration animation is 2 generations ahead of FIFA.

How many generations are we ahead now? :o

Still the same going off the gameplay videos I've seen, I refuse to believe that any motion capture was involved in FIFA 14's goal celebrations. They still have the same deformed player models for the next-gen too, they need to start using body scanning to model the players because the ones they're still using look ridiculous.

FIFA 14
Zlatan Ibrahimovic's NFL shoulder pads really help when it comes to holding off defenders.

As for the guy on the right...

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 am

Notice on the last image, the thin dark stripes on the Italy shirt are actually glossy, amazing detail.

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:19 am

I'm starting to get a bit hyped for this. I'm hoping that the new additions build on the existing engine without changing the core gameplay too much. Based on how much I've played the 2013 version, I'm thinking about getting a digital copy if it is released for PS3. It'll save my disc drive on all the wear and tear. There wasn't a digital version for 2013 but I hope that changes this time.

As an aside, yesterday I received my first set of PES 2013 online abuse after over 500 games. A guy with a rating of 755 took exception when, as he was using Real Madrid and my rating is only 339, I played a defensive formation. I was surprised as I don't tend to see too much of this in PES. Still, one in several hundred ain't bad.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:23 am

PES 2013 promo image for comparison.

PES 2014

HSH28
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PES 2014 (Fox Engine/Fluidity Engine)
by HSH28 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:05 am

What it looks like close up really doesn't have much to do with anything, its not even really representative of what the game looks like when you play it, let alone how good the game is.

Spindash
Joined in 2008

by Spindash » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 am

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 am

HSH28 wrote:What it looks like close up really doesn't have much to do with anything, its not even really representative of what the game looks like when you play it, let alone how good the game is.

Relax, some of us like to watch close-up replays and appreciate accurate player faces in these games. It's a big part of the experience for us footie fans.

Schumi
Joined in 2008

by Schumi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:05 pm

The turn around this gen has been crazy.

I came into it a massive PES fanboy, and leave it detesting it and buying FIFA every year.

Most people I know are the same too, yet if you'd have told me that back in the PS2 days I'd have laughed in your face, that's how bad FIFA used to be.

FIFA does lack that little bit of magic the old PES games had, and every year I try the demo hoping that this year actually is the year PES is back on form, but it just never is.

If they got their gooseberry fool together and made it good again I'd be back in a flash. 100%

As it is I can deal with worse looking kit materials and player body shapes not being perfect, because FIFA plays so much better. Just like back in the day I could put up with West London Blue & Roberto Larcos, because PES played so much better.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Schumi wrote:The turn around this gen has been crazy.

I came into it a massive PES fanboy, and leave it detesting it and buying FIFA every year.

Most people I know are the same too, yet if you'd have told me that back in the PS2 days I'd have laughed in your face, that's how bad FIFA used to be.

FIFA does lack that little bit of magic the old PES games had, and every year I try the demo hoping that this year actually is the year PES is back on form, but it just never is.

If they got their gooseberry fool together and made it good again I'd be back in a flash. 100%

As it is I can deal with worse looking kit materials and player body shapes not being perfect, because FIFA plays so much better. Just like back in the day I could put up with West London Blue & Roberto Larcos, because PES played so much better.

Ditto, I've owned PES 6, FIFA 09, FIFA 10 and FIFA 12 this gen. Up until PES 2013 (I didn't buy the full game for reasons I'll explain) I didn't feel that any of these games topped PES 5, I'd dig out PES 5 each year and feel disappointed that nothing had topped it, and that virtual footie was in decline.

I've been hooked on the PES 2013 demo, so much detail and variety to the play, it captures so much of what made PS2 PES so good, if it weren't for the glitches I'd have bought the game.

As for people accusing me of 'bigging up' PES every year, here's some of my reactions to the PES 2013 reveal...

http://www.grcade.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30779
NickSCFC wrote:

:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

NickSCFC wrote:
Chris wrote:I'll give the demo ago. It would be nice if FIFA had a proper rival again.

When you play PES these days you feel all the parts are as good (if not better than FIFA) but theyre stitched together so badly that it ruins all the hard work Konami have done.

PES desperately needs the animation blending that FIFA has.

Also watched the YouTube trailers on TV wishing FIFA had those character models, they're perfect.

NickSCFC wrote:See exactly what you mean, sometimes I want to sprint like hell onto a through ball but the CPU makes my player slow down. PS2 PES games had way more assists but they never stopped you from doing what you wanted to do.

And PES 2012...

http://www.grcade.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25288
NickSCFC wrote:Really not seeing any difference between this and PES 2011. the AI sounds nice, but, apart from nearby players, team movements are something I fail to notice much.

NickSCFC wrote:
gamerforever wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
gamerforever wrote:TBH I have pretty much given up on Konami now. Fifa 12=1 is nowhere near awesome, it's simply much better than PES 2011, which is still stuck in the last generation. The D-Pad fans are in effect holding back the series from progressing.

Progress would be to re-release PES6 with updated graphics.

But it would look too robotic in HD, especially when compared to Fifa.

It would play well atleast, seriously, most players in PES11 turned like a tank, it's embarrassingly hilarious to watch at times, the animation while they're doing it is totally fuxked up.

NickSCFC wrote:
gamerforever wrote:The most hilarious bit is when players run around the ball before it comes to their feet! :lol:

Yeah what's that all about? I mean you'd do it in real life sometimes, but this game buts a forcefield around the ball. That feature wasn't even in PES10, it's like they added it last year to to intentionally make the game worse.

The 3DS version is fantastic btw, just like the PS2 days :wub:

NickSCFC wrote:
gamerforever wrote:The most hilarious bit is when players run around the ball before it comes to their feet! :lol:

Yeah what's that all about? I mean you'd do it in real life sometimes, but this game buts a forcefield around the ball. That feature wasn't even in PES10, it's like they added it last year to to intentionally make the game worse.

The 3DS version is fantastic btw, just like the PS2 days :wub:

Everything I've seen from PES 2014 so far addresses every complaint I've had about so far this gen about PES, in fact it's managed to go a step further and wow me.

And remember, I got quite a bit of abuse on the GamesRadar forums for daring to suggest FIFA 08 was going to be better than PES 2008 off the strength of FIFA 07 and a few early videos, but I was right in the end ;)

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:23 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
HSH28 wrote:What it looks like close up really doesn't have much to do with anything, its not even really representative of what the game looks like when you play it, let alone how good the game is.

Relax, some of us like to watch close-up replays and appreciate accurate player faces in these games. It's a big part of the experience for us footie fans.

I'm a football fan and I couldn't care less about it.

I can't understand the importance placed on that kind of thing by some of you. They way the game plays is what should matter to fans of the game. If the game plays well then it can look like gooseberry fool for all I care.

chalkitdown
Joined in 2008

by chalkitdown » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:27 pm

What you think is not Nick's concern.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:35 pm

HSH28 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:

I can't understand the importance placed on that kind of thing by some of you. They way the game plays is what should matter to fans of the game. If the game plays well then it can look like gooseberry fool for all I care.

Good for you :)

Obviously the gameplay is key, if it weren't for the fact that they've fixed the unresponsive robot glitches this year I wouldn't give two hoots what it looked like.

Schumi
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pro REVOLUTION Soccer 2014 (Fox Engine/Fluidity Engine)
by Schumi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:17 pm

In those gifs up the page, why are Dante and Boateng white? :lol:

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 pm

Schumi wrote:In those gifs up the page, why are Dante and Boateng white? :lol:

The gifs are washed out, that's all.

Here's a close-up of Dante

PES 2014

Skin tone is perfect

Photo

FIFA 13

Edit: The faces look so accurate in this, still can't believe it's on current gen, in-game replays look better than their promotional images...

Nemar

PES 2014

FIFA 13 :fp:

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaperMacheMario
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

by PaperMacheMario » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm the same as you Nick, I love going to the replays and just seeing how each player looks up close. All the little things as well as the gameplay that make it seem more realistic is what makes me happy when playing a game. Really hoping the gameplay is better this year, they look to have ironed out a lot of the aspects I've disliked over the previous few. But then I say the same sort of thing every year.

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Another comparison

Lahm

Photo

PES 2014
Image Image

FIFA 13 :fp:

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luboluke
Joined in 2008

by Luboluke » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:11 pm

That FIFA screenshot is Thomas Muller. :lol: Plus it's not exactly fair comparing PES 14 and FIFA 13, although I do think PES will look better than FIFA even on the new consoles. I'm liking the look of this so far, but my big concern is that I haven't heard a single mention of the A.I or what they've done to improve that, that was the thing that killed an otherwise good game for me in PES 13, the offensive and defensive AI was terrible.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:11 pm

HSH28 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:

No you aren't Hugo.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:12 pm

NickSCFC wrote:Another comparison

Lahm

Photo

PES 2014
Image Image

FIFA 13

What, they mixed up Philip Lahm for Thomas Müller in FIFA 13?

Return to “Games”