10%
PC
30%

Total votes: 10
HSH28
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PES 2014 (Fox Engine)
by HSH28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:29 pm

rudderless wrote:Well, evidently Konami doesn't have the budget to keep up with EA so it makes sense in that respect, and let's not forget how much damage was done to the series by the first of the current-gen editions which looked and played like little more than upressed versions of the PS2 games. That was the point at which FIFA started to win over a lot of people who up until then had been loyal to Pro Evo.

Except at that point Fifa was gooseberry fool too.

I'm not sure its a budget thing though, Fifa is made on a budget too and you can't say that it looks like the next gen version of Fifa 14 will really be any more than a better looking version of the current gen game.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 am

Drunken_Master
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PES 2014 (Fox Engine) - Trailer and gameplay - page 4
by Drunken_Master » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 am

OMG, they made it look more like Fifa.

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Drunken_Master wrote:OMG, they made it look more like Fifa.

In terms of graphics and animation blending I think they've caught up with and surpassed FIFA with the new Fox Engine.

Also, in comparison to FIFA, the players have much more realistic momentum (the time it takes to turn direction based on running speed) and there seems to be a better sense of weight too.

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaperMacheMario
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

by PaperMacheMario » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 pm

It's more the way they actually kick the ball in PES that they still haven't nailed. That pass in the last gif just doesn't look realistic and neither does the one in the first. It's a fundamental aspect of the game that they haven't worked on and it still won't be challenging FIFA until it can do those things right, despite all the other improvements they make.

EDIT: Just watched both videos again and it still looks like PES 2013 in the way the ball is kicked: wrong.

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:46 pm

PaperMacheMario wrote:It's more the way they actually kick the ball in PES that they still haven't nailed. The pass in the last gif just doesn't look realistic and neither does the one in the first. It's a fundamental aspect of the game that they haven't worked on and it still won't be challenging FIFA until it can do those things right, despite all the other improvements they make.

EDIT: Just watched both videos again and it still looks like PES 2013 in the way the ball is kicked: wrong.

Why is that exactly? He's doing a Zidane turn except he's substituted the second drag with a flicked pass, it seems like you can use the new animation engine to turn tricks into passes/shots mid-way through.

PaperMacheMario
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

by PaperMacheMario » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 pm

It's the technique and the way the ball moves from his foot, even the direction it's heading in. The gameplay looks different to 2013 but not the way the ball is kicked. Just as an example the shot 40 seconds into the first video is a typical PES shot and doesn't look like a ball is struck in real life. Maybe it's his arms, or the way he does a little jump, or the way his foot strikes the ball. Maybe it's all three. Just play a game of PES 2013 and if you concentrate on how a ball is kicked, particularly when shooting, you'll notice it isn't life-like.

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Long gameplay video

Love the way the kits flap about when players are running/bouncing, amazing for current-gen. Overall it seems to have the right blend of smoothness and weight that's not been seen since PES6.

Faces look amazing too

PES 2014

FIFA 13 :fp:

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Psychic » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Same talk every year. I'll wait for the demo before I believe anything.

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Still can't believe this is running on PS3, the player models and lighting are incredible.

Dat Fox Engine :datass:

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Still looks horribly "boxey" in movement, defenders programmed to give the attackers the room to play out a sequence. Those flicks look like they're one-movement made by pressing one button rather than the combos you do in FIFA. I figure it's a demonstration but...watch the defenders.

Graphics and presentation are lovely but, tough trying to explain this properly, I'm callbacks to previous games where it feels like you're watching a video rather than playing a game. When you score and there's that pause...that's the feeling I've had about PES for six years. Something's not right.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Ginga wrote:... callbacks to previous games where it feels like you're watching a video rather than playing a game....

I *love* the feel of the current 2013 edition; the range of moves and the responsiveness create real fluidity. When the ball hits the back of the net in PES after you've worked hard to make the opportunity, it hammers home just how 'right' the game feels.

Reviews last year generally highlighted that the engine had really evolved and I'm just a tad worried that Konami may not be able to advance by such a degree again. My big desire is that an option to "play using teams of similar levels" is added; i.e. if I choose Malaga I don't want to always be playing Real or Barca. Here's hoping!

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah last year's PES was the first time this generation I was reminded of what was so great about PES on PS2 and why I just couldn't get into FIFA. The main reasons were...

Sense of inertia - The constraint on how quickly you can turn depending on how fast you're running, this effects all aspects of the game. FIFA is completely lacking in this, players can just zig-zag around without any sense of weight or physics.

Player movement - I've never seen anyone play 'good football' in a FIFA game, but in PES the off-ball movement is full of depth and intelligence, I love teeing up shots.

First touch - PES seems to have an animation for every direction, speed and situation the ball arrives at you, I really like the way your player has to try to bring the ball under control while fighting off defenders, just feels so good. FIFA, on the other, hand feels like the ball is made out of sponge and EA's idea of first touch is how far the ball is knocked ahead while holding the sprint button.

Animation - There's so much detail to the animation, little things like the movement of player's wrists when they're shooting, or the player's bodies trembling with tension when celebrating a goal, FIFA's celebrations just look like they're being pulled around like dead string-puppets.

If it weren't for the random glitches (particularly between animations) I would have bought PES 2013. Thankfully the Fox Engine looks like it's cured these problems and then some, looks like PES 2014 will be my first PES since PES 6 in 2006 :)

Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:51 pm

Can't say I agree with any of that. I played PES 2013 and it felt awful, players don't move right. FIFA wasn't perfect but it was embarrassingly better than Pro Evo, which seemed completely dated. Everything felt "square" and unresponsive – whatever Konami believe to be 360 degreee movement...isn't.

PES always seems to play like an approximation of football by people who don't understand it. Maybe this will be better but I'm already a little put off by what I've seen.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Ginga wrote:Maybe this will be better but I'm already a little put off by what I've seen.

I can understand people having a preference for the gameplay of FIFA or PES, but I'm intrigued as to how that trailer could put someone off PES. FIFA and PES are both guilty of having awesome, astounding trailers... that are nothing like actually playing the game. I really enjoy PES, but the only time I'll see 'realistic sweat and facial emotion' will be in the opening video. After that it's down to the thrill and feel of the gameplay... and I suspect that no-one will ever like both FIFA and PES. The time required to learn all the intricacies of gameplay mean that most fans can only dedicate their time to one game.

Once that time has been put in, it's unlikely that someone would change game.

Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 pm

jawafour wrote:I can understand people having a preference for the gameplay of FIFA or PES, but I'm intrigued as to how that trailer could put someone off PES. FIFA and PES are both guilty of having awesome, astounding trailers... that are nothing like actually playing the game. I really enjoy PES, but the only time I'll see 'realistic sweat and facial emotion' will be in the opening video. After that it's down to the thrill and feel of the gameplay... and I suspect that no-one will ever like both FIFA and PES. The time required to learn all the intricacies of gameplay mean that most fans can only dedicate their time to one game.

Once that time has been put in, it's unlikely that someone would change game.

I played Pro Evo/ISS religiously until FIFA 08. I got quite high up on the PES rankings, so it's not like I've always been a fan of one and disliked the other. Maybe the Fox Engine will change things but PES tend to offer more in-game footage than EA and from what they've show, things still look way off. However, it wasn't really the trailer.

I've spoken to a few folks who are hardcore nuts about PES and every year they assure me the next edition will change my mind, yet every year it's the same old gubbins. I've played so much digital football over the years, a really silly amount, that I think I've got a good grasp on what certain features, movements and designs will feel like - they won't drastically vary from the current standard but over the years you get a feel for possibly improvements and how those are implemented. It sounds 'orribly arsey but it's a bit intuitive.

Of course, I'll try the final product and the demo, give it a bit of time and come to a balanced, full-formed opinion but my initial impressions have been pretty much spot on since PES 6. I'd certainly love proper competition for FIFA.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Fair dos. To be honest, I haven't played FIFA for years now; the last one I got into to any great extent was FIFA 07 on Xbox (1). I loved PES on PSone and the 2013 version just feels like it captures the fun and feel of those earlier versions. I've barely played any online games but online PES on PS3 takes up a huge share of my videogame time nowdays.

I love how every match is different and that you're never quite sure what style of play your opponent will use. Sometimes I get played off the park, but the occasional unexpected and hard-fought victory over Real keeps me going!

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Can't get over how good the animations/animation system is on this, after FIFA's string puppets and PES's robots this feels like a whole new generation. The momentum looks perfect, take note, EA.

Some gifs from GameSpot's hands-on, the human controlled players are in red, notice how the AI adjusts as soon as the defender goes in for the ball in the first 2 gifs, the response is instant yet doesn't look scripted like in PES 2013/FIFA 13.

Dat barycentre physics :datass: (notice how Lahm knocks the ball to one side yet his body momentum continues to drag him forwards for a bit)

Dem flappy arms :datass:

Dat tussling

Doze cloth physics 8-)

Last edited by NickSCFC on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Watch how the defenders move. Or don't, to be more specific.

Return to “Games”