GAME to close 12 shops, 6 Gamestations, 25 concessions...

Anything to do with games at all.
KK
Joined in 2008

PostGAME to close 12 shops, 6 Gamestations, 25 concessions...
by KK » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

...& will lead to 247 job losses.

MCV wrote:247 job losses as chain shuts 12 GAMEs, six Gamestations and all 25 Debenhams concessions

The GAME Group has announced that it is to close 43 of its outlets owing to the “the tougher market conditions that it faces in 2010”.

In total, 12 GAME stores, six Gamestation stores and all 25 of its Debenhams concessions will cease trading. The result will be 247 redundancies. Most closures will be in situations where outlets are situated close to one another.

“We are committed to evolving our business to make sure it operates as efficiently as possible while consistently delivering the high standards of service our customers demand,” a statement released to Edge Online reads.

“We regularly review our entire store portfolio, including our concessions, to maximise the opportunities to reach customers while also ensuring that the business is running as effectively as possible.

“As a result of this review process, and the tougher market conditions that we face in 2010, we have announced our intention to close 12 Game stores, 6 Gamestation stores, and all 25 of our concessions in Debenhams stores. In each location, we have detailed plans to support the customers and employees.

“The majority of the identified sites are located close to another one of our stores, and we will help each customer affected by a closure to transfer to their nearest store as well as our online offerings.

“We will provide extensive support to the teams in each store. However, with deep regret, we have had to offer redundancy to 247 employees. We will do our utmost to redeploy roles if possible, and have started consulting with all affected employees in the 43 sites.

“We are very focused on supporting our people, and thank them for their continued hard work and understanding.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

PostRe: GAME to close 12 shops, 6 Gamestations, 25 concessions...
by Mafro » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:09 pm

There's a Game and Gamestation within a 30 second walk of each other in my town centre. Given the amount of shops that are closing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if one goes.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Much like Domino's are doing currently (getting that pizza reference in...), they expanded extremely quickly when the going was good, seemingly unprepared for the inevitable slump.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Probably not the best time to go in asking for a job then :shifty:

Skippy
Joined in 2008

by Skippy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

I hope that includes the banana splits that lied to me.

"Oh we're not allowed to keep the christmas temps on, can't employ anyone at the moment according to head office"

Three weeks later I see two xmas temps working there :x At least have the decency to tell me I'm gooseberry fool you strawberry floats! :evil:

Baron Zemo
Joined in 2009
AKA: Jim

by Baron Zemo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Any idea where they are being closed

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

It's a shame they're having to do this, 247 jobs is a lot in this climate. That said, there's a Debenham's concession store near me. Reckon they'll be doing any shutdown deals?

TornadoShaun
Joined in 2008

by TornadoShaun » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Yet more evidance that they need to keep up with the online retailers and supermarkets who are offering better deals IMO. I know in Leicester City center there are 2 GAME stores, one Gamestation and a concessions store all in pretty close proximity. I'd imagine one of those as well as the concessions store will be closing.

Hulohot
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990

by Hulohot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Portsmouth- two Games and a Gamestation down the same high street... :wub:

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Deadpool wrote:It's a shame they're having to do this, 247 jobs is a lot in this climate. That said, there's a Debenham's concession store near me. Reckon they'll be doing any shutdown deals?

You disgraceful opportunist :lol:

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm

Deadpool wrote:It's a shame they're having to do this, 247 jobs is a lot in this climate. That said, there's a Debenham's concession store near me. Reckon they'll be doing any shutdown deals?

Unlikely. When the concession one in Cardiff Debenhams closed, all the stock was taken over to the two other stores in town.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
plasticcoated
Joined in 2009

by plasticcoated » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm

In my hometown of Stockport GAME and Gamestation are next door to each other, and just down the road at The Trafford Centre there are 2 GAME outlets and a concession in the massive Debenhams there.

Makes sense to close a couple, as they're all taking business from each other AND paying more in rent/overheads.

:msgreen:
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Near me they have a Game and Gamestation 1 door from eachother, then another Game store a 5 minute walk away. Ive always thought it was stupid.

Heres hoping its bargains galore eh.

Akai XIII
Joined in 2008

by Akai XIII » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:34 pm

In Norwich they had 4 GAMEs and 1 Gamestation :fp: One closed because it was in Borders. The one in Debenhams is tiny and a bit pointless... As for the other two one is a smallish store near all the bus-stops and the other is a largish store that is always packed. Gamestation is just a 30 second walk from the large GAME.

I hope they don't close the Gamestation, it's awesome.

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:40 pm

You can understand towns/cities having multiple Starbucks or Subways, but videogame shops don't quite fall into the same category.

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:46 pm

In Dundee the Gamestation is directly across the road from Game, then there's another Game in a shopping centre 30 seconds away, then another in a Debenhams 30 seconds in the other direction and another in a Borders a little further away than that :fp:

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:47 pm

No Gamestation or GAME here. Just a small indie store and Asda.

Cyburn2
Joined in 2008

by Cyburn2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:50 pm

No GAME/GS in Kilburn as well, only some indie shop. Nearest GAME and Gamestation are in Camden Town.

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Doesn't mention the concessions in Selfridges.

I enjoyed the false sense of superiority that came with strolling around with massive Selfridges bags full of Wiimote accessories.

Jingle Ord The Way
Joined in 2008

by Jingle Ord The Way » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Well i'm guessing one of those shops in Princes Street in Edinburgh will close. Personally I hope it's Game and not Gamestation.

ImageImage

Return to “Games”