Rich Stanton on Future's dodgy dealings - GTA4's [10] bought

Anything to do with games at all.
rudderless
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Rich Stanton on Future's dodgy dealings - GTA4's [10] bo
by rudderless » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I don't see the problem with a review saying try the demo for something like kinect if it's freely available.
Kinect from what little I know is highly dependent on the setup of the room so a review which talks about the game can't tell you if it will work in your house.
Seems fair enough to me.

YES. It's not even the review, which makes all this stuff even more insane.

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Fm wrote:
rudderless wrote:I've written hundreds of times as many reviews as you

Really tempted to sig this.

Feel free. It's not a boast, just a statement of fact. Falsey said he'd given a generous score to a game purely because he'd been treated to an expenses-paid event and a copy of the game. Hand on heart, I've never done that.

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 pm

mic wrote:Peter, I don't think that's what he meant at all!

Any review should be based upon near-enough ideal (or at least average) circumstances. Were wii game reviews saturated with "it might not work in your environment - try the demo"?

No, because Wii doesn't rely on your environment unless your room is so small that you can't use the pointer properly.

The point is that the game apparently isn't satisfactorily responsive in ANY environment, hence the suggestion to try it and see if you have the patience to get on with it?

No. The point is that Kinect, as a piece of hardware, is inherently flawed. It is not 100% precise at reading your intentions. Some people get on with it better than others, either because they have the patience or experience with the device to work around its idiosyncrasies or they have a more optimal environmental setup.

Besides, such disclaimers are for the hardware manufacturers, surely? If people didn't like the review, they should have bitten the bullet, made a decision whether or not to continue business with "the freelancer" and left it at that! They should NOT have tacked on a patronising addendum saying - **always try the demo***

It's not a patronising addendum - it's a direct address to a commenter who'd expressed surprise about the game's Kinect controls. It's not to undermine the review. It's a recommendation that, if you can try the demo and see how the controls work, then it's worth doing.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 pm

To be fair, I didnt score it as the place I was writing for didnt do scores. We were renegade trailblazers in that respect.

by 7256930752 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Falsey wrote:To be fair, I didnt score it as the place I was writing for didnt do scores. We were renegade trailblazers in that respect.

Can you imagine the PR disaster if you were giving out scores? Bonuses would be lost left right and centre as metacrigic scores plummeted.

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Hime wrote:
Falsey wrote:To be fair, I didnt score it as the place I was writing for didnt do scores. We were renegade trailblazers in that respect.

Can you imagine the PR disaster if you were giving out scores? Bonuses would be lost left right and centre as metacrigic scores plummeted.

Not if they invited him to the launch party each time.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm

100% would rave review again

Rik
Joined in 2008

by Rik » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm

rudderless wrote:
Hime wrote:

Not if they invited him to the launch party each time.

:lol:

Neogaf: Riky
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Dual wrote:
StayDead wrote:
Dblock wrote:What is this /v/ stuff ?

Seriously?

/v/ is the 4ch*n board for talking about games. vidya.

Don't do this.

Rik wrote:
I mean in the logical, forward thinking, open-minded, reasonable, rationale sense. This forum may have that in short supply, the jury is still out

I'm afraid you're in for a massive let down here then, couple of years ago you would have been fine but then everyone became entitled.

What does that mean?

What the hell is this?

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Fm
Joined in 2008
AKA: Foolish Mortal

by Fm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 pm

I guess "try the demo" might be more useful with some games than with others, eg games with a weird control system or something. It would be pointless advice for a new Halo or COD, but Kinect-ability may well qualify as something that it's a good idea to try for yourself.

Pedz wrote:recharging shields are gay.
rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:02 am

Exactly.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 am

rudderless wrote:

Any review should be based upon near-enough ideal (or at least average) circumstances. Were wii game reviews saturated with "it might not work in your environment - try the demo"?

No, because Wii doesn't rely on your environment unless your room is so small that you can't use the pointer properly.

Not entirely true. Bright god rays, for example, can confuse the strawberry float out of the Wiimotes infrared sensors.

Kinect is substantially more temperamental. Though thats perhaps understandable, if not entirely forgiveable, considering it's relative ambition.

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 am

TheTurnipKing wrote:
rudderless wrote:

Not entirely true. Bright god rays, for example, can confuse the strawberry float out of the Wiimotes infrared sensors.

I mean, not to the point where it would ever reasonably crop up in a review. Organising your play space to accommodate Wii is not hard. It's more difficult with Kinect, and as you say
Kinect is substantially more temperamental.

Return to “Games”