Rich Stanton on Future's dodgy dealings - GTA4's [10] bought

Anything to do with games at all.
Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

PostRe: Rich Stanton on Future's dodgy dealings - GTA4's [10] bo
by Mafro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:51 am

Knoyleo wrote:Where was it that claimed GTA IV had an "Oscar worthy" story/script? :lol:

IGN. Their seven page review was an utter embarrassment, screamed of publisher pressure http://uk.ign.com/articles/2008/04/29/g ... ion-review

$ilva $hadow wrote:I would love to hear the dirt on Deus Ex Human Revolution. What a piece of gooseberry fool game to get the amazing scores that it did.

What are you on about?

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:51 am

Rich Stanton wrote:The best editors and writers...Dan Dawkins, Andy Kelly [PSM2/3]

game that got most obviously dodgy reviews? Most is Driv3rgate

Edge gave GTA IV [10] but the review didn’t

So is it fair to presume here that Andrew Kelly possibly reviewed the game straight & then had the score, and perhaps aspects of the text, altered by 'outside forces'? If I recall correctly, he was new on the magazine at the time - what a hell of an introduction that must have been.

I'm not sure how many people remember this, but the exclusive review of Driv3r was supposed to go to Official PlayStation 2 Magazine, but was mysteriously dropped. Instead GTA: SA made the cover instead & the exclusive review of Driv3r ended up in PSM2.

However inside the manual for Driv3r, there was a £1 voucher for OPS2. The Xbox version of the game was 'correct' however in that it had a £1 voucher for Xbox World (along with a sticker on the box). Did PSM2 ultimately end up with the review at the last minute because OPS2 had garnered the bigger GTA exclusive?

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:54 am

Mafro wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:Where was it that claimed GTA IV had an "Oscar worthy" story/script? :lol:

IGN. Their seven page review was an utter embarrassment, screamed of publisher pressure http://uk.ign.com/articles/2008/04/29/g ... ion-review

$ilva $hadow wrote:I would love to hear the dirt on Deus Ex Human Revolution. What a piece of gooseberry fool game to get the amazing scores that it did.

What are you on about?

It was garbage. Suffered from the same problem as Deus Ex 2 did, only way to play is to crouch through one long ass vent to the end of the game, go balls out shooting, or use a combination of the two.

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Mafro
Joined in 2008

by Mafro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 am

$ilva $hadow wrote:It was garbage.

Nope.

You spend way too much time on 4ch*n and it really shows when you post on here.

Twitter
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 am

Dblock wrote:What about the Zelda games?

They are well gooseberry fool. :simper:

Nice try at trolling Dblock, maybe next time you'll bait someone. :simper:

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Mafro
Joined in 2008

by Mafro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:59 am

StayDead wrote:
Dblock wrote:What about the Zelda games?

They are well gooseberry fool. :simper:

Nice try at trolling Dblock, maybe next time you'll bait someone. :simper:

Looks like he just did.

Twitter
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Mafro wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:It was garbage.

Nope.

You spend way too much time on 4ch*n and it really shows when you post on here.

:lol: You spend way too much time no conspiracy theories and it shows when you post here.

Human Rev was garbage. Very polished, technically very good, lots of effort, but still a 7/10 game. You don't need to read 4ch*n to know that, all you need is a solid go at games that are much older than Human Rev, yet so much better, to know how wrong the reviews were for Human Rev.

Edit signature
Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Pedz wrote:If GTAIV was a 10, Saints Row 2 was an 11.

:wub:

Dblock
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery

by Dblock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Maybe not garbage but certainly didn't deserve all the hype behind it. It was fairly average game. The stealth worked sometimes but most of the times the game forced you to go all balls deep in dem bitches.

Never finished it either missions bored me.

''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
Mafro
Joined in 2008

by Mafro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm

$ilva $hadow wrote:Human Rev was garbage.

$ilva $hadow wrote:Very polished, technically very good, lots of effort, but still a 7/10 game.

Hmmm.

Twitter
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 pm

$ilva $hadow wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:$ilva, check some of the /v/ threads, they seem to genuinely like it, so it may not be all hype.

On release, /v/ is filled with marketers and people trying to hype the game. In a month or two is when I'll read up on /v/ in regards to dishonoured. That's when the people who know their stuff come out.

I remember Dragon Age 2 on release, TOR on release, Ass Effect 3 on release, /v/ was filled with blithering drones, just like everyone on GRcade being enamoured by the hype machine of Deus Ex Human Rev. It takes a while for the hype to die down and really see how good the game is.

Don't get me wrong, Dishonoured could be a great game, I don't know that, but for sure I know that the reviews are dogshit hype and they don't match the quality of the game at all. Even RPS review paints the game in a huge positive light, and then when they released the transcript of their discussion on it, you can see they don't truly believe it's that great of a game. gooseberry fool like that annoys me and is why I have stopped buying games on release with the rare exception.

Where you on the same /v/ I was? 4ch*n was ripping the gooseberry fool out of Dragon Age 2 day 1. :lol:

Last edited by TheTurnipKing on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm

What the gooseberry fool are 'ass tears' $ilva? Madhead.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 pm

The trouble I had with Deus Ex Human Rev (unlike the first game) was that the paths were incredibly obvious. I played it stealthy, but especially in the early levels there were clear LOOK STEALTH THIS WAY moments.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Dblock
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery

by Dblock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:10 pm

What is ''/v/''?

''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
more heat than light
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl

by more heat than light » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Hate to be the voice of reason here, but this is one guy, having a rant. On Twitter. Where is the compelling evidence? The leaked emails? The secretly recorded conversations? The pubilisher confessions?

For all we know, this guy might have got bad beef with Future (and Rockstar by the sounds of it) and tried to single-handedly take down the company. Reviews are impossible to get perfect, it's all opinion-based and if one guy thinks GTA IV is a 10/10 game, that doesn't mean it is. But it doesn't mean it isn't either. Certainly doesn't mean the score has been paid for, which is what this guy seems to be suggesting.

Not time to sharpen the pitchforks just yet, methinks.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Mafro wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:Human Rev was garbage.

$ilva $hadow wrote:Very polished, technically very good, lots of effort, but still a 7/10 game.

Hmmm.

What's the problem? I can still think it's garbage. Why is it a problem for you that I can discern the facts from my opinion? Technically it's very well functioning, there's so much potential in the game, a 7/10 for effort put into it, but not much else. It scored a 7/10 on heart alone, worth it for a fiver. Other than that, as a sequel to Deus Ex, it's garbage, completely ignores emergent gameplay, linear as strawberry float despite being in an open world environment, completely lacking immersion from the narrative, especially when I'm breaking into a strawberry floating hotel filled with prostitutes and their first reaction is to beg me for help, rather than call the bodyguards.

ALL of the reviews for Human Rev were gushing with hype and way too generous with the scoring. The game is at best 7/10.

TheTurnipKing wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:$ilva, check some of the /v/ threads, they seem to genuinely like it, so it may not be all hype.

On release, /v/ is filled with marketers and people trying to hype the game. In a month or two is when I'll read up on /v/ in regards to dishonoured. That's when the people who know their stuff come out.

I remember Dragon Age 2 on release, TOR on release, Ass Effect 3 on release, /v/ was filled with blithering drones, just like everyone on GRcade being enamoured by the hype machine of Deus Ex Human Rev. It takes a while for the hype to die down and really see how good the game is.

Don't get me wrong, Dishonoured could be a great game, I don't know that, but for sure I know that the reviews are dogshit hype and they don't match the quality of the game at all. Even RPS review paints the game in a huge positive light, and then when they released the transcript of their discussion on it, you can see they don't truly believe it's that great of a game. gooseberry fool like that annoys me and is why I have stopped buying games on release with the rare exception.

Where you on the same /v/ I was? 4ch*n was ripping the gooseberry fool out of Dragon Age 2 day 1. :lol:

I read it on release and it was filled with biodrones defending the game. It was sickening. Same with Ass Effect 2 and 3. Maybe it took a while for the negativity to filter through.

Last edited by $ilva $hadow on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edit signature
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Canton :simper:

I liked GTA 4, quite a lot. Also HR was decent but the bosses knock it down to a 5/10 for me.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Silva, /v/ isnt nearly as deep as you think it is. Its autistic sperging neckbeards arguing with autistic sperging neckbeards. Great as a spectator sport and funny as strawberry float sometimes, but most certainly not gospel.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:14 pm

StayDead wrote:The trouble I had with Deus Ex Human Rev (unlike the first game) was that the paths were incredibly obvious. I played it stealthy, but especially in the early levels there were clear LOOK STEALTH THIS WAY moments.

Exactly. The game took me for a console pleb and it was so obvious.

There really was no emergent gameplay, no room for messing with the gameworld either. Endless fetch quests as well.

Edit signature
Mafro
Joined in 2008

by Mafro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm

more heat than light wrote:Hate to be the voice of reason here, but this is one guy, having a rant. On Twitter. Where is the compelling evidence? The leaked emails? The secretly recorded conversations? The pubilisher confessions?

For all we know, this guy might have got bad beef with Future (and Rockstar by the sounds of it) and tried to single-handedly take down the company. Reviews are impossible to get perfect, it's all opinion-based and if one guy thinks GTA IV is a 10/10 game, that doesn't mean it is. But it doesn't mean it isn't either. Certainly doesn't mean the score has been paid for, which is what this guy seems to be suggesting.

Not time to sharpen the pitchforks just yet, methinks.

Did you see this? http://www.grcade.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32006 I'm inclined to believe him after that.

Falsey wrote:Silva, /v/ isnt nearly as deep as you think it is. Its autistic sperging neckbeards arguing with autistic sperging neckbeards. Great as a spectator sport and funny as strawberry float sometimes, but most certainly not gospel.

Exactly.

Twitter

Return to “Games”