Rich Stanton on Future's dodgy dealings - GTA4's [10] bought

Anything to do with games at all.
Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rich Stanton on Future's dodgy dealings - GTA4's [10] bo
by Knoyleo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 am

$ilva, check some of the /v/ threads, they seem to genuinely like it, so it may not be all hype.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 am

Rich Stanton wrote:I’m not mates with someone who used ONM to ask teenage girls if they had a boyfriend. strawberry float off. Future.

Chris Scullion (Future) wrote:Not really sure where that came from or what you're referring to but I've made my point regardless.

Well I'm glad someone watched it. There was nothing creepy about it, it was a public vid & I was in a relationship at the time.

And I'm scratching my head trying to think of an example of me asking a girl if she had a boyfriend. Sounds like exaggeration.

In short, I'd appreciate if you didn't make false and uneducated accusations about videos that are nearly six years old.

Well considering we never said a single word to each other in 6 years I already was. You seem to have an opinion of me anyway.

All I was saying is that you may have had your problems with Future but don't bring us into them. I'll drop it now, thanks.

Wow, getting really personal now by the sounds of it.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 am

Prototype wrote:
melatonin wrote:
Prototype wrote:Edge. :lol:

:lol:

I know Rik is reading this and just dying to post.

:lol: :lol: :lol: His holy grail just went down the shitter. We all know Halo 3 didn't deserve a 10 at all.

I would love to hear the dirt on Deus Ex Human Revolution. What a piece of gooseberry fool game to get the amazing scores that it did.

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Codename 47
Joined in 2008

by Codename 47 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 am

Garth wrote:Tidied up the Q&As a bit for easier reading.

Good job dude, opening post was definitely an interesting read...perhaps confirms what a lot of us thought when it came to certain reviews and publisher pressure.

The thing that always struck me with the GTA 4 reviews is how they all somehow managed to ignore the game's many flaws. Hugely repetitive missions for a start, among other stuff.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:23 am

Where was it that claimed GTA IV had an "Oscar worthy" story/script? :lol:

Prototype
Joined in 2008

by Prototype » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am

$ilva $hadow wrote:
Prototype wrote:
melatonin wrote:
Prototype wrote:Edge. :lol:

:lol:

I know Rik is reading this and just dying to post.

:lol: :lol: :lol: His holy grail just went down the shitter. We all know Halo 3 didn't deserve a 10 at all.

Agreed.

$$ wrote:I would love to hear the dirt on Deus Ex Human Revolution. What a piece of gooseberry fool game to get the amazing scores that it did.

What?

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am

Knoyleo wrote:$ilva, check some of the /v/ threads, they seem to genuinely like it, so it may not be all hype.

On release, /v/ is filled with marketers and people trying to hype the game. In a month or two is when I'll read up on /v/ in regards to dishonoured. That's when the people who know their stuff come out.

I remember Dragon Age 2 on release, TOR on release, Ass Effect 3 on release, /v/ was filled with blithering drones, just like everyone on GRcade being enamoured by the hype machine of Deus Ex Human Rev. It takes a while for the hype to die down and really see how good the game is.

Don't get me wrong, Dishonoured could be a great game, I don't know that, but for sure I know that the reviews are dogshit hype and they don't match the quality of the game at all. Even RPS review paints the game in a huge positive light, and then when they released the transcript of their discussion on it, you can see they don't truly believe it's that great of a game. gooseberry fool like that annoys me and is why I have stopped buying games on release with the rare exception.

Edit signature
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 am

KKLEIN wrote:
Rich Stanton wrote:I’m not mates with someone who used ONM to ask teenage girls if they had a boyfriend. strawberry float off. Future.

Chris Scullion (Future) wrote:Not really sure where that came from or what you're referring to but I've made my point regardless.

Well I'm glad someone watched it. There was nothing creepy about it, it was a public vid & I was in a relationship at the time.

And I'm scratching my head trying to think of an example of me asking a girl if she had a boyfriend. Sounds like exaggeration.

In short, I'd appreciate if you didn't make false and uneducated accusations about videos that are nearly six years old.

Well considering we never said a single word to each other in 6 years I already was. You seem to have an opinion of me anyway.

All I was saying is that you may have had your problems with Future but don't bring us into them. I'll drop it now, thanks.

Wow, getting really personal now by the sounds of it.

Hold own is this when Scullion was asking Princess Peach if she was with someone?

ound Niko to be a very enjoyable protagonist, however - certainly one of Rockstar's best.

lolm8. Nico and the majority of the characters in vanilla GTA4 were strawberry floating terrible.

Last edited by Qikz on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:27 am

Prototype wrote:

$$ wrote:I would love to hear the dirt on Deus Ex Human Revolution. What a piece of gooseberry fool game to get the amazing scores that it did.

What?

O that's completely unrelated to the Edge 10.

My opinion on Human Rev is that it looks gorgeous, plays well, mechanics are all in place, but it's just another gooseberry fool game with fetch quests and no depth.

The game literally consists of blatant stealth route, blatant action route, or mix and match. No emergent game play whatsoever, no feeling of consistency in terms of ingame events, and the characters are just so hollow, they'll throw quests at you when you break into their home or place of work and you're a stranger to them.

Edit signature
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am

StayDead wrote:Hold own is this when Scullion was asking Princess Peach if she was with someone?

I honestly have no idea what he's talking about or who Princess Peach is.

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask

by Herdanos » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 am

$ilva $hadow wrote:
Memento Mori wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:Dishonoured (clearly getting 10/10 and 9/10 scores due to ad revenue related pressure as well as publisher pressure)

Have you played Dishonored?

:lol: That's exactly how it starts.

"have you played this game that was awarded 10/10 on hype alone? The reviews which were embargoed until release?"

No I haven't played it, neither have you, and it's not worth 10/10 for sure.

Maybe I'm missing something here but this makes absolutely zero sense to me. How can you know what score a game's worth without playing it? :?

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am

Is he still not posting because he's upset about being told off?

Being treated like the rest of us non paying peasants is too much for him :lol: How sad.

Edit signature
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am

KKLEIN wrote:
StayDead wrote:Hold own is this when Scullion was asking Princess Peach if she was with someone?

There's people here who will remember what I'm talking about. It was pretty controversial on the ONM forums back in the day.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am

KKLEIN wrote:

She was a massive attention whore Princess Peach cosplayer on the ONM forums.

Dblock
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery

by Dblock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 am

What about the Zelda games?

They are well gooseberry fool. :simper:

''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 am

Dan. wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:
Memento Mori wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:Dishonoured (clearly getting 10/10 and 9/10 scores due to ad revenue related pressure as well as publisher pressure)

"have you played this game that was awarded 10/10 on hype alone? The reviews which were embargoed until release?"

Maybe I'm missing something here but this makes absolutely zero sense to me. How can you know what score a game's worth without playing it? :?

Dude I don't know what score the game is worth, except that it's not worth a 10/10 based on all the other games that get awarded high scores for being a game from a big publisher.

It's not that hard to surmise that this kind of problem is rife within the industry. It only takes a moment to read more credible websites and reviewers discussions to see that it isn't worth a 10/10, especially when a few of the folks on RPS with some credibility are saying that it isn't better than Thief at all, and the storyline is severely lacking. I mean that's just the tip of the iceberg, I don't know how a singleplayer storybased game that doesn't have an engaging narrative that's more evolved from it's predecessors can even get a 10/10 score.

tl;dr, I don't know what it's worth, I only know that it's not a 10/10 just like when I read that GTA4 had an oscar award winning script was bullshit. It's a sixth sense I have, a combination of intelligence and experience.

Edit signature
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 am

Twitter wrote:Do you think future has a gooseberry fool list of people they will never work
Richard Stanton is #1

Pushing Stuart Campbell off the top spot sure takes some doing...

Any other examples of good PR you’ve dealt with?
Nintendo - flawless. Early access, no interest in the score

Surprising. But then I suppose it shows a certain level of confidence in their product.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:40 am

What really annoys me about this is that the games that deserve these high scores and attention are pushed out of the view of the consumer for a lesser product created for the lowest common denominator.

Edit signature
Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 am

$ilva $hadow wrote:
Dan. wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:
Memento Mori wrote:

Dude I don't know what score the game is worth, except that it's not worth a 10/10 based on all the other games that get awarded high scores for being a game from a big publisher.

It's not that hard to surmise that this kind of problem is rife within the industry. It only takes a moment to read more credible websites and reviewers discussions to see that it isn't worth a 10/10, especially when a few of the folks on RPS with some credibility are saying that it isn't better than Thief at all, and the storyline is severely lacking. I mean that's just the tip of the iceberg, I don't know how a singleplayer storybased game that doesn't have an engaging narrative that's more evolved from it's predecessors can even get a 10/10 score.

tl;dr, I don't know what it's worth, I only know that it's not a 10/10 just like when I read that GTA4 had an oscar award winning script was bullshit. It's a sixth sense I have, a combination of intelligence and experience.

It would appear that the sixth sense is common sense.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 am

:lol: I thought someone might produce ass tears if I said it was common sense, but yeah, it pretty much is common sense by now, judging by all the precedents set by events such as Driv3rgate, Halo 3 Edge 10, Gertsmangate, Dragon Age 2, The Old Republic, Mass Effect 3, GTA4. Like how many times does it have to happen before people will stop with the "omg you not played this game, how do you know what the score is"?. I DON'T know what the score is you muppet, all I'm saying that it bloody well isn't a 10/10 masterpiece.

Edit signature

Return to “Games”