Guurrl gamers get sand in vagina, BBC gets caremad

Anything to do with games at all.
andretmzt
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Guurrl gamers get sand in vagina, BBC gets caremad
by andretmzt » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 pm

He does law, his job is to talk bullshit to confuse you and wear you down so you no longer give a gooseberry fool.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 pm

andretmzt wrote:He does law, his job is to talk bullshit to confuse you and wear you down so you no longer give a gooseberry fool.

Mission accomplished.

If you remove the entire central pillar of gameplay, then yes, the game falls apart. The structural center of Dragon Age is it's tactical, party-based combat. THAT IS THE GAME. Without that, you have something with all the depth of a visual novel.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:47 pm

The central pillar of the Mass Effect games has always been the role playing elements and storyline. She isn't asking to REMOVE the central pillar, she is asking for the option to skip the combat. The OPTION. The OPTION. OPTION. OPTION. Not removal, but the OPTION to skip combat.

I broke it down for you because you failed to understand it in the first place. That above there is as simple as it can be put. If she wants to skip the combat, that's fine, no one asked for the removal of the combat, only the OPTION, to skip combat. I'm not going to skip the combat, but guess what, when I played Baldurs Gate 2, I cheated my way through it the entire way just for the storyline and quests, I was too young to understand or care about how the DnD ruleset worked. What is wrong with having the OPTION of skipping things in a game that you don't like?

Note: option does not mean remove.

Note 2: remove does not mean option.

I can't believe you two actually couldn't understand that.

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Didn't latest Alone in the Dark have this exact skippability? It let you pretty much pick any point of the game to skip to.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Yes it did, and people liked that part of it.

If people want to sit through Mass Effect, do all the role playing quests and watch the cutscenes, I don't care. Give them the option, at least that way I'll be able to rewatch a cutscene if I missed something in it or just wanted to replay a certain section of the game.

Edit signature
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Whilst personally I'm not entirely sure about being able to skip over huge sections of a game being a necessarily good thing, I can see why some people would want it. And provided it was entirely optional it wouldn't necessarily change much. Just tuck it away in an options menu somewhere. Personally I'd think it a bit of a waste of money to spend £40 on a game and then just sit and watch it like one long cutscene without input, but if someone else wants to do that then let them I suppose.

With some games I'm just not sure how it would work though. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and other similar role playing games, the combat is still a huge part of them. I'd probably get bored watching a 20 hour long cutscene.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Those options are clearly not for us, but we can choose not to use them. I understand that people like Cal are singlehandedly propping up the gaming industry, by being willing to pay 60 quid for a bad game so he can watch other people play through the game on youtube, and then try to play through the game on the lowest settings on the most expensive computer he can afford.

I think it's only kind to allow those people more choices if it means more funding for games. Asking for choice is not the same as asking to remove things from a game.

Edit signature
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 pm

What you're describing is usually called "the easy difficulty setting".

The feature already exists, one of many reasons requesting it is so very very stupid.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Easy mode lets you skip combat? That's news to me. That would make easy mode on every game be the equivalent of a theatre mode like in MGS2.

Or are you saying that the easy option is good enough, and you are still against the option of being able to skip parts of a game? I would say that having the option to skip portions of a game is more equivalent to a theatre or director mode in a game, not the same as the easy difficulty.

Edit signature
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Lagamorph wrote:I'd probably get bored watching a 20 hour long cutscene.

This is a large part of the problem. If you're going to cut the interactivity, why make a game at all?

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 pm

$ilva $hadow wrote:Easy mode lets you skip combat? That's news to me. That would make easy mode on every game be the equivalent of a theatre mode like in MGS2.

Or are you saying that the easy option is good enough, and you are still against the option of being able to skip parts of a game? I would say that having the option to skip portions of a game is more equivalent to a theatre or director mode in a game, not the same as the easy difficulty.

The easy mode of most games reduces the challenge level of most games to trivial unless you're physically handicapped.

But what's with the need to see an ending, anyway?

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47 pm

:lol: Why are you questioning how stupid it is? We all know how stupid it is, but does it hurt to add the option? You're not the one making the game, you're not the one who's being forced to skip any of the game.

I can see another use for having a director mode for more games. People will be able to toy about in the sandbox mode and be able to record things for youtube. I love watching some of the stuff made in Garrys mod, or the Red Vs Blue in Halo.

Edit signature
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:48 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
$ilva $hadow wrote:Easy mode lets you skip combat? That's news to me. That would make easy mode on every game be the equivalent of a theatre mode like in MGS2.

The easy mode of most games reduces the challenge level of most games to trivial unless you're physically handicapped.

But what's with the need to see an ending, anyway?

Yes it does, and nobody disputes that. Who cares? I'm not the one wanting to skip combat entirely, but I can see how other people may want to access the parts of a game that are not combat related at all.

Why are you questioning the choice of wanting these options in a videogame anyway? What's it to you? Your gameplay won't be affected, why you so caremad about it?

How many people bought Final Fantasy 13? You didn't get to actually play the game until forty hours in. I strawberry floating rest my case your honour. :datass:

Edit signature
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 pm

IDDQD.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 pm

IDKFA.

Edit signature
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 am

Exactly my point.

This is what cheat codes are meant for.

Which is why making them paid for DLC is so strawberry floating stupid. All these strawberry floating retards are doing is re-inventing the wheel over and over.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:22 am

With god mode on, you have the tedium of easy battles that just waste time then.

The number one most tedious thing of being in god mode trying to get through a game is that it becomes an easy grind. What's the point? You may as well give an option of director mode and let you skip whatever you want in a game, or give you theatre mode to watch all the cutscenes.

Why are you still against those ideas if they don't affect your gameplay? If you have the choice not to even bother with those options, what does it matter to you?

I remember god mode on Baldurs Gate. I was too young to understand anything about the ruleset or even care, but I knew how to use the cheat. It made combat redundant and it was just an endless chore when I was more involved with the dialogue, the quests, narrative and everything story related. If I had the option to skip combat entirely, I would have done so at that age.

Edit signature
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:58 am

Like I say, if you're skipping the game part of a game, why bother making a game at all? Why not choose a media better suited to the story you want to tell?

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Because the person skipping the combat is not the same as the person making the game. The person buying the game can do whatever the hell they want with the game. If they want to just watch all the cutscenes, I still don't see how that affects your gameplay experience if it's optional.

Edit signature
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:15 pm

Because without the "combats" it's not a game. At best it's a choose-your-own-adventure with lavish production values.

Some things are optional in videogames, but being a videogame is not one of those things.

Return to “Games”