Got all but four of the pictures. Mayday and the Ape escape guy were the ones I really knew but couldn't place, Redd the Hunter and Axle Gear the ones I didn't know - though I have heard of Solatorobo from NGamer and Rocket Knight crossed my mind because of how much DML likes that game (that's the Sparkster game right?) but I never checked it out.
The Grunty one was the one I was annoyed about when the filters were removed. Took me a while to work out who it was but I got it in the end. Then when the filter was removed it was so obvious (because you could see she was green).
How I worked out the others:
1. Petey - Looked very Mario-y, thought it was a Toad at first, stumbled upon the Petey picture when on a Nintendo wikia
2. Marcus Fenix - Never played GoW but this one was obvious
3. Pepper guy - strawberry float this guy. Recognised the eyes, knew he was a toy-like character. Could see what looks like a helmut. Cue lots of googling variations of "toy soldiers/vikings/knights" etc until finally getting a result
4. Hadn't a clue. At one point I convinced myself it was King Hippo from Punch Out until google revealed it wasn't.
5. By some kind of miracle I found this one by searching for number 16. Was sure number 16 was from a "lesser" known fighting game. So searched beat-em-up wikias like BlazBlue and eventually Guilty Gears where I found this one instead.
6. Laverne - "Looks like an old school point and clicker", cue searching the likes of Maniac Mansion and DotT images
7. Joanna Dark - Woman holding a gun. Either Lara Croft or Joanna Dark. Quick google confirmed it was the latter.
8. Lich King - Heavy RPG vibe, assumed it was an Elder Scrolls game, after finding nothing from that line of enquiries I moved onto WoW searching.
9. Should have got this bastard. Was concentrating on N64 games too much that I didn't think about PSone games.
10. Grunty - Lots of searching for this (bringing up some interesting results) before the answer came to me in a moment of realisation , so obvious when the filter was removed
11. Freya - One where I was glad the filter got lifted. Couldn't even tell what I was looking at before. Once I could see it became obvious which gaming series it was from (reminded me of the Crystal Chronicles models) so then it was just a case of trawling through Final Fantasy wikis until I found it.
12. Max - At first I was convinced this was Chun-Li, which I assume was what DML was trying to confuse people with. But then when I realised I was looking at it the wrong way it became clear who it was. Never played the game but had recently read the Ninty Gamer Replay on Advance Wars so it was still fresh in my mind.
13. Tails Doll - From the nose I instantly thought Sonic design. I was convinced it was the Polar Bear from the Sonic fighters game, when looking on a Sonic Wiki to confirm this I found the Tails Doll page. Bingo!
14. Nero - First thought: Ivy from Soul series. Researching (bringing up some more interesting results) debunked that. Only other character with white hair I was aware of was Dante from DMC. Image searching for Dante DMC didn't bring up that image, widened the search for just DMC shots when I found the one with Nero. Who had slipped my mind since I've never actually played a DMC game.
15. Recognised the character model. Should have got it.
16. See 5.