The Halo Movie

Anything to do with games at all.
Shadow
Joined in 2008

PostThe Halo Movie
by Shadow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:05 am

It's back!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... e-for-2012

A Halo movie, backed by Steven Spielberg and Dreamworks, will launch in 2012, a new report has claimed.

The French press release kit for book Halo: Cryptum, received by Halo.fr, contains the following:

"A film adaptation is set in 2012. It will be conducted jointly by two heavyweights of American cinema: Steven Spielberg and Dreamworks."

Fans are speculating that this suggests the Halo movie will be based on the Cryptum novel, the first book in the Forerunner Saga by Greg Bear.

This is not the first time we've heard of Spielberg's interest in making a Halo movie.

In 2009 we heard the legendary Hollywood director was in negotiations to develop a Halo movie based on a script titled Halo The Fall of Reach.

Then, in 2010, Microsoft said it was sure a Halo movie would be made at some point - and it may even fund production itself.

The Halo movie project was thought dead after Peter Jackson and Neil Blomkamp put the kaibosh on it.

With New York Comic-Con set to open its doors next week, an announcement may be imminent. Eurogamer has asked Microsoft for comment

HOORAY!!

jimbojango
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Halo Movie
by jimbojango » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am

While I would love a Halo film, I'm not sure how well the Cryptum book can be worked into a good story on screen.

I've just read it, and as a Halo fan having played the games, read the novels, piddled about on Waypoint etc it was tremendous to have more stories to go with it, but to those less familiar with Halo it must be hopelessly confusing. Also, I now hate the Forerunners. :x

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:18 am

Set in 2012?

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:26 am

Would they have time to film a movie and release it next year? I would imagine any Halo movie would have a gooseberry fool load of special effects.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 am

I too have my reservations about Cryptum's suitability to the big screen, might have been better as an animated series or something. Fall of Reach would so obviously make a great movie, why has no-one made this happen?! :x

Moggy wrote:Would they have time to film a movie and release it next year? I would imagine any Halo movie would have a gooseberry fool load of special effects.

It's Dreamworks CG. Also, they may have been working on it for a while.

If it is an adaptation of Cryptum then that pretty much confirms that Forerunners will be the enemy in Halo 4.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 am

It'll be interesting to see how they give Master Chief the Dreamworks face.

Beans
Joined in 2008

by Beans » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Wonder if it will be better than the Mario Brothers film :roll:

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Pixar should do a Resistance movie, and release it at the same time.

Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:Pixar should do a Resistance movie, and release it at the same time.

Funny :lol:

HailToTheKingBaby!
Joined in 2008

by HailToTheKingBaby! » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:21 pm

I don't know much about this book, is it a prequel set in Forerunner times or is it set around Halo 4 sort of timelines?

Would kinda be a big dissapointment if they make a Halo film and there's no spartans and particularly no Master Chief.

They should definitely adapt the fall of reach book, show the spartans origins etc.. and build up chief then for sequels work the the main trilogys story - they could then follow up with the halo 4 trilogys story and maybe do some kine of forerunner based prequel afterwards.

Just hope it's live action with some CG and not a full CG based thing.. the CG one in Halo Legends was ok but the short films released on XBL a couple of years or more back were so much cooler.

Codename 47
Joined in 2008

by Codename 47 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm hoping Master Chief is in this :wub: If they do a good job of the movie, it would be the perfect way to further hype up Halo 4's release next year. I wonder if the film will be able to attract non games fans/people that haven't heard of Halo to go and see it? If Microsoft really hype it up as being the blockbuster of the summer (or whenever) then i'm sure they would definitely be intrigued to go and see what the fuss is about and if they really enjoy, there's always the chance they'll go out and buy Halo 4.

I do wonder what age rating the film will be? Out of interest Shadow, what makes you say it's likely that the Forerunners will end up being the enemy in Halo 4?

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:46 pm

The story of Reach and John becoming a spartan would be the best place to start imo.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Codename 47 wrote:Out of interest Shadow, what makes you say it's likely that the Forerunners will end up being the enemy in Halo 4?

Well, last year they released Halo: Cryptum, a book about The Forerunners, this year and next are two more books about The Forerunners, now they've announced a movie about that people expect to be about The Forerunners..

I don't think they'd go to all this trouble to build up The Forerunners and fill everyone in on their story if they weren't going to be in Halo 4.

TornadoShaun
Joined in 2008

by TornadoShaun » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I'd love a Halo film, but I think I'd prefer an animated one like that of the Halo 3 trailer than a 'live action' type thing.

Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:00 pm

No need for a Halo movie. This vid says everything that needs to be said.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Photek wrote:The story of Reach and John becoming a spartan would be the best place to start imo.

This. Surely they could just lift it from the books?

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Shalashaska
Joined in 2008
AKA: Redbull_Ninja

by Shalashaska » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:40 pm

I'd prefer a film of CE and Spartan origin/Reach told via flash backs.
I think cryptum is a pretty mental one to adapt off the bat. Would like to see how it works though.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man. And those who've hunted armed men long enough, and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
bear
Joined in 2008

by bear » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:Pixar should do a Resistance movie, and release it at the same time.

Nah, Pixar should do a Half-Life film and Kanbar Animation a Resistance movie.

tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 pm

That's me happy :D

Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:04 pm

No need for a Halo movie. This cover by Major Lazer says everything that needs to be said.

Return to “Games”