Nintendo has made more profit during the Switch era than all previous eras combined

Anything to do with games at all.
Roonmastor
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Nintendo has made more profit during the Switch era than all previous eras combined
by Roonmastor » Sun May 12, 2024 9:47 am

I bought 3 Nintendo shares last year as I've always wanted to own some. It was pre-Zelda release, and cost £25.

Price has gone up 20% so a nice £5 there, but will just leave it.

But looking at the history, oddly the price was up about 40% around February and has come down despite those financial results, and it hasn't hit peak value Vs recent years as that was Dec 2020.

Nintendo is a solid company, their risk is Switch 2 has to be more powerful but then starts to become more expensive to develop for. They have to pitch that right to make people move on. Luckily I think they are far enough back to make a reasonable step,

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

PostRe: Nintendo has made more profit during the Switch era than all previous eras combined
by Robbo-92 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:22 pm

Roonmastor wrote:I bought 3 Nintendo shares last year as I've always wanted to own some. It was pre-Zelda release, and cost £25.

But looking at the history, oddly the price was up about 40% around February and has come down despite those financial results, and it hasn't hit peak value Vs recent years as that was Dec 2020.

Nintendo is a solid company, their risk is Switch 2 has to be more powerful but then starts to become more expensive to develop for. They have to pitch that right to make people move on. Luckily I think they are far enough back to make a reasonable step,

I worry ever so slightly about the increase in power making the first party game budgets soar, guess we just have to hope that Nintendo keep things in check for some of the titles and then up the budget for games they know will sell ridiculously well, or GameFreak, who will spend the bare minimum all over again, or just flat out not give the team the time the series deserves :dread:

I don't know about anyone else, but if feels from the graphical side of things, the constant increase in power is becoming almost redundant, just finished replaying Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, a game that came out in 2017 (although it has had a current gen patch) and it still looks phenomenal, even the Switch version of it looks very good still, although lacking in a few areas compared to the PC version whacked up to max, maybe Nintendo have had this thought process as well and trying to future proof themselves with the Switch 2 by utilising DLSS

Green Gecko wrote:Hardware sluts and port beggars should be forcibly gifted Nintendo shares.

I guess I kind of fit into this criteria, but I do find it annoying that Nintendo has a ridiculous back catalogue of first party games and yet barely any are available to buy on the Switch eshop, means they could be picky about what games they actually remake and really push them, push the graphical changes they're making between he original and remake of the same game, maybe give a certain % discount if you already have the original version when buying a remake for example.

Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008

by Green Gecko » Mon May 13, 2024 2:25 am

By port beggars I generally mean people on ps4 or xbo only who wish they would get Nintendo games on those systems but refuse to buy a switch or any previous console almost solely on the premise that it is not 4K HDR and Nintendo being cheap etc.

Yes Nintendo are cheap but given that on the whole the business model works and that's at least partly why the games are so consistently good (usually), it would be funny if people who whine about Nintendo being out of date etc were given shares and had to find away to complain about them going up.

When both gamecube and to a degree wii u came out relatively capable I barely saw any difference in my appreciation for the games. I find it easy to forget they are one generation behind if I'm enjoying the game.

Besides having competitive options is no bad thing.

"It should be common sense to just accept the message Nintendo are sending out through their actions."

❤ btw GRcade costs money and depends on donations - please support one of the UK's oldest video gaming forums → HOW TO DONATE
Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Mon May 13, 2024 9:08 am

I would be a port beggar if I genuinely believed Nintendo games ported to PC would ever go on a decent sale, but they wouldn't, so I'll just remain a pirate.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Mon May 13, 2024 9:15 am

I still have a dream that Xenoblade Chronicles X will be ported to Switch. The U game had additional texture packs to download and it'd be nice to get a complete edition.

Oh, and Fallout 3 or NV or 4, of course. Any of them. But I've reluctantly accepted that it ain't gonna happen.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:33 am

I thought of myself as a port beggar as I keep wanting old Pokémon games ported to the Switch :lol:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Mon May 13, 2024 10:34 am

Roonmastor wrote:I bought 3 Nintendo shares last year as I've always wanted to own some. It was pre-Zelda release, and cost £25.

You're a shareholder?

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Mon May 13, 2024 10:37 am

jawa_ wrote:I still have a dream that Xenoblade Chronicles X will be ported to Switch. The U game had additional texture packs to download and it'd be nice to get a complete edition.

I think a remaster of XCX is pretty likely for Switch 2. Might take some time but I'd expect it to arrive eventually.

poshrule_uk
Joined in 2008

by poshrule_uk » Mon May 13, 2024 10:51 am

My hero - Shareholders :wub:

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 am

Nintendo are positioned so well. They can now make HD games which don't age as quickly, and the only way to massively outstrip that is to make a AAA title on mega hardware on 10-30 times the cost with massive teams which the big guns seem barely capable of affording.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 pm

I would have expected any more remasters in the next 2-3 years will be developed for OG Switch in mind (Backwards compatible with Switch 2, maybe with some extra bells and whistles) this way they keep support up for OG owners and any new games will be Switch 2 exclusive.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 pm

Tomous wrote:
jawa_ wrote:I still have a dream that Xenoblade Chronicles X will be ported to Switch. The U game had additional texture packs to download and it'd be nice to get a complete edition.

I think a remaster of XCX is pretty likely for Switch 2. Might take some time but I'd expect it to arrive eventually.

Given how it's generally considered to be the runt of the litter I guess there is the possibility that they don't see enough interest in it getting a remaster and so haven't bothered.

Or, possibly it is taking longer because they are doing something more substantial to deal with some of the issues people had on release?

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Mon May 13, 2024 12:24 pm

Jenuall wrote:Given how (Xenoblade Chronicles X) is generally considered to be the runt of the litter I guess there is the possibility that they don't see enough interest in it getting a remaster and so haven't bothered...

... :o . Bit harsh, Jen!

[chroniclesxdefenceforce]

Metacritic:
Chronicles 3 ... 89
Chronicles D ... 89
Chronicles X ... 84
Chronicles 2 ... 83

I think that the driver for the lack of appreciation could be that it was on the U and so perhaps not as many folk played it as the other entries in the series.
[/chroniclesxdefenceforce]

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:30 pm

jawa_ wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Given how (Xenoblade Chronicles X) is generally considered to be the runt of the litter I guess there is the possibility that they don't see enough interest in it getting a remaster and so haven't bothered...

Metacritic:
Chronicles 3 ... 89
Chronicles D ... 89
Chronicles X ... 84
Chronicles 2 ... 83

I think that the driver for the lack of appreciation could be that it was on the U and so perhaps not as many folk played it as the other entries in the series.

not that sure that means to much. last i checked two was still the most successful of the 4

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Mon May 13, 2024 12:34 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
jawa_ wrote:

Metacritic:
Chronicles 3 ... 89
Chronicles D ... 89
Chronicles X ... 84
Chronicles 2 ... 83

not that sure that means to much. last i checked two was still the most successful of the 4

Are you placing more weight with financial performance than critical review?

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Mon May 13, 2024 12:34 pm

No idea how 2 has the lowest score!

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:45 pm

jawa_ wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:
jawa_ wrote:

Metacritic:
Chronicles 3 ... 89
Chronicles D ... 89
Chronicles X ... 84
Chronicles 2 ... 83

Are you placing more weight with financial performance than critical review?

I’m basing it more on metacritic is far from the best way to judge personal preferences

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm

Xenoblade 2 doesn’t deserve to be bottom of that list :capnscotty:

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Mon May 13, 2024 1:25 pm

No, it should be at the top! :toot:

Roonmastor
Joined in 2008

by Roonmastor » Mon May 13, 2024 11:51 pm

Moggy wrote:

You're a shareholder?

Little awkward, but we are all shareholders in some organisations if we have any sort of pension.

Return to “Games”