I'm going sober for October

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Cumberdanes
Joined in 2011

PostI'm going sober for October
by Cumberdanes » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:43 pm

A lot of you probably don't know me very well as I'm not the most prolific of posters; I mean the only place I really frequent is the Dark Souls thread but I have something of a favour to ask.

Back in January of this year my mother was diagnosed with cancer, thankfully after successful surgery she was given the all clear a few months later however many people every year aren't this lucky. This leads to the favour I'm asking. I have decided to take up the challenge of staying sober for October in aid of Macmillan cancer support and would appreciate any donations from my fellow forumites.

Now anybody who does know me knows that I like a drink (in fact that is a huge understatement) so this challenge certainly won't be easy but I have wanted to do something like this for a while and figured that after what my family has been through this year there's no better time than now.

I certainly don't expect everybody to help out but any contributions big or small would be greatly appreciated.

If any of you would like to offer your support you can find my donation page here https://www.gosober.org.uk/profile/johnhaswell

Corazon de Leon

PostRe: I'm going sober for October
by Corazon de Leon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:49 pm

I'll chuck you a couple of quid when I get my grant money mate. Good luck.

Sticky the topic?

Cumberdanes
Joined in 2011

by Cumberdanes » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:I'll chuck you a couple of quid when I get my grant money mate. Good luck.

Sticky the topic?

Much appreciated. How does one go about doing that?

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Sorry, I was expecting a mod to see it. Try PMing a mod, Buff will probably see you right mate.

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Boom.

Good luck.

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Head moderator Albear demands your praise for his work in stickying this topic.

;)

Cumberdanes
Joined in 2011

by Cumberdanes » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Many thanks go out to Albear for stickying this for me!!!

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:02 pm

I can't believe you're doing this.

Shalashaska
Joined in 2008
AKA: Redbull_Ninja

by Shalashaska » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Octsober?

"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man. And those who've hunted armed men long enough, and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
Death's Head
Joined in 2009

by Death's Head » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Good effort, I've put a tenner your way for a good charity.

Yes?
Cumberdanes
Joined in 2011

by Cumberdanes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:03 pm

[iup=3574763]Death's Head[/iup] wrote:Good effort, I've put a tenner your way for a good charity.

Muchas gracias!

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 pm

My mrs said I should do it, in response I have a Beer Club booked and a Beer Festival visit :D

Good luck with it i'll put in some moolar when I get paid :)

Cumberdanes
Joined in 2011

by Cumberdanes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:13 pm

[iup=3574949]Errkal[/iup] wrote:My mrs said I should do it, in response I have a Beer Club booked and a Beer Festival visit :D

Good luck with it i'll put in some moolar when I get paid :)

A beer festival certainly sounds much more fun, thanks in advance.

Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 pm

My family said I should do this.

I said why? I've been sober for months. :lol: Cheeky bastards.

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
Meep
Joined in 2010

by Meep » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:16 am

Sorry, but since when was not drinking something you could do for charity? Usually if you are going to get sponsored for something you have to actually, you know, do something. It makes as much sense as sponsoring someone not to eat bread or lay off chocolate. Nothing personal, but this whole thing just seems stupid even if it is for a good cause. Going a month without alcohol is hardly a big sacrifice... unless you're an alcoholic, I suppose.

Although I suppose this could be quite a clever way of making people who are alcohol dependent realise they have a problem. I know a lot of people who drink much to much and would never consider themselves to be dependent; so something like this could make reality dawn on them maybe.

Faust
Joined in 2014

by Faust » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:12 am

I agree, seems like a real lazy way to do some charity.

Also, if you can't go for a month without drinking, you got problems.

Cumberdanes
Joined in 2011

PostI'm going sober for October
by Cumberdanes » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:24 am

Next you'll be slating Movember as all that consists of is not shaving your moustache for a month; again doing nothing. Hell, I haven't shaved my moustache in nearly 2 years but nobody sponsors me for it.

Way to rain on my parade guys :(

Faust
Joined in 2014

by Faust » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:34 am

haha it will be good if you can help some people I guess, but why not try something a bit harder? Or if not drinking is really what you want to do go for something like 6 months instead of just one month.

Death's Head
Joined in 2009

by Death's Head » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:42 pm

I don't see what the problem is here - worst case is people give some money to a good cause.

As for doing something hard, I don't drink at all. However, I do drink a lot of tea, probably 5 mugs a day. Could I give up tea for a month? Probably not.

Yes?
JimKT
Joined in 2012
AKA: Baron Zemo

by JimKT » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:31 pm

[iup=3584604]Meep[/iup] wrote:Sorry, but since when was not drinking something you could do for charity? Usually if you are going to get sponsored for something you have to actually, you know, do something. It makes as much sense as sponsoring someone not to eat bread or lay off chocolate. Nothing personal, but this whole thing just seems stupid even if it is for a good cause. Going a month without alcohol is hardly a big sacrifice... unless you're an alcoholic, I suppose.

Although I suppose this could be quite a clever way of making people who are alcohol dependent realise they have a problem. I know a lot of people who drink much to much and would never consider themselves to be dependent; so something like this could make reality dawn on them maybe.

Completely agree with this and that's why I won't sponsor anything like this. Beer / Alcohol can be seen as a luxury. Just don't drink, simple. It will do you health and liver some good.

Return to “Stuff”