GRCade.fm Season 2 Episode 6 Game Banta Advance

Our best bits.
Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: A Podcast approaches
by Psychic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Would it be easier to class Borderlands as a FPS that has RPG elements while Fallout 3 is an RPG played with FPS elements?

"They say they're similar and I can see why....it's because they're a bit different."

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 pm

PsychicSykes wrote:Would it be easier to class Borderlands as a FPS that has RPG elements while Fallout 3 is an RPG played with FPS elements?

"They say they're similar and I can see why....it's because they're a bit different."

Fallout 3 doesn't really have FPS elements though, you literally can not play through the game like a FPS.

And they aren't 'a bit different', they are massively different.

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:26 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Floex wrote:I wouldn't say Fallout 3 is an FPS, if that was the case it would be regarded as one of the least satisfy shooters of this generartion. A new genre maybe, FPSRPG

FPRPG. The shooter shouldn't in in the genre title (otherwise you'd call any RPG that involved shooting a Shooter RPG and that'd be silly).

I'd hardly call it the first in the genre.

Jesus christ, I'm trying to help you out here! Plus I never said it was the first

Floex out

aayl1
Sir Aaron of GRcade
Joined in 2008

by aayl1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for everyone saying my voice is wubbable. Yay.

Also, Karl, why the strawberry float would I veto you? I totally want you there.

And Cal, yes, I was very aware how easy it is for these things to run on, having had experience of that with Radio Radar, so I did try to push forwards. :mrgreen:

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Floex wrote:
HSH28 wrote:
Floex wrote:I wouldn't say Fallout 3 is an FPS, if that was the case it would be regarded as one of the least satisfy shooters of this generartion. A new genre maybe, FPSRPG

FPRPG. The shooter shouldn't in in the genre title (otherwise you'd call any RPG that involved shooting a Shooter RPG and that'd be silly).

Jesus christ, I'm trying to help you out here! Plus I never said it was the first

Floex out

If it isn't the first, how could it be a new genre? I'm not being difficult, just getting my point across.

Ok look at it like this. If you describe these cross genre games as percentages of which genre they have I'd say something like this is accurate...

Borderlands 50-50 FPS-RPG
Fallout 3 5-95 FPS-RPG (and thats heavy on the FPS side as far as I'm concerned)

Also I guess...

Deus Ex 70-30 FPS-RPG

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Floex wrote:
HSH28 wrote:

Floex out

If it isn't the first, how could it be a new genre? I'm not being difficult, just getting my point across.

Ok look at it like this. If you describe these cross genre games as percentages of which genre they have I'd say something like this is accurate...

Borderlands 50-50 FPS-RPG
Fallout 3 5-95 FPS-RPG (and thats heavy on the FPS side as far as I'm concerned)

Also I guess...

Deus Ex 70-30 FPS-RPG

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Deception
Joined in 2008

by Deception » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:12 pm

Will give a listen. Nice to see somebody keeping the podcasting going ;)

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:12 pm

HSH28 wrote:Deus Ex 70-30 FPS-RPG

Look at you. Look how wrong you are.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14 pm

FFS Hugo. :fp:

Songwriter
Joined in 2008

by Songwriter » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Its like having sex.

Worst I have sex podcast, ever.

Hugo Stiglitz
Joined in 2009
AKA: sarge

by Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:34 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Irene Demova wrote:
HSH28 wrote:Or you could just look up the page to where I posted it.

And Fallout 3 is not an FPS.

You play from a first person perspective and shoot things

Pretty sure that's a FPS

Not when playing the game requires (and it does) you to pause the action, select targets and then watch as a stat based, unplayable video rolls.

For it to be an FPS, it needs to be in real time and require accurate aiming and shooting. Fallout 3 does not qualify, Borderlands does.

Yeah, that means BL also isn't an FPS. :lol:

Also, you can play FO3 without using VATS.

The real time aiming system is a lot more reliable & accurate than the one found in BL.

At least in FO3, I won't have to worry about a shot missing because I was a mm outside the hit box for the shot to register.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Sarge if you were outside the hitbox, then you missed. The bullet is supposed to not hit. That's what missing does.

Hugo Stiglitz
Joined in 2009

by Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Winckle wrote:Sarge if you were outside the hitbox, then you missed. The bullet is supposed to not hit. That's what missing does.

Er...OK.

:shifty:

Seriously, have you played BL?

Line up a shot with any sniper rifle/gun with a sight and take a shot, there's a very good chance that you'll miss.

Doesn't happen in FO3, which has superior real time combat.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:52 pm

I have played borderlands to completion, as the sniper class. The trick is to be aware of the lag first of all, and secondly the range of your gun. Even sniper rifles have effective ranges after which the engine just "forgets" about the bullet.

And I was playing on PC with mouse aim so it must have been pretty bloody hard on a pad. Finally even on PC Fallout 3 has a huge amount of auto aim, which is probably what's making you think that the FPS combat is "better".

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:55 pm

AFAIK all bullets in Borderlands are projectile rather than hitscan, so you really do need to lead your shots carefully.

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Thank you for the positive feedback.
I have nothing to add to the Borderlands/Fallout 3 thing - to call me plain wrong is (as usual) condescending, bullish, and unfair. Still, never mind - I'd rather be me than you.
Again, thank you for the responses everyone.

Hugo Stiglitz
Joined in 2009

by Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Winckle wrote:I have played borderlands to completion, as the sniper class. The trick is to be aware of the lag first of all, and secondly the range of your gun. Even sniper rifles have effective ranges after which the engine just "forgets" about the bullet.

And I was playing on PC with mouse aim so it must have been pretty bloody hard on a pad. Finally even on PC Fallout 3 has a huge amount of auto aim, which is probably what's making you think that the FPS combat is "better".

Possibly.

I didn't know it had auto aim. :lol: :fp:

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:15 pm

It's big :lol:

Time for adventure
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Buffalo wrote:I have nothing to add to the Borderlands/Fallout 3 thing - to call me plain wrong is (as usual) condescending, bullish, and unfair.

Thats nothing to do with it. What you said was just wrong as far as I'm concerned. They aren't the same at all.

I'm glad you liked the game, it was my favourite of last year, but your description of it is basically a completely different game to the one I played.

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Herbi wrote:It's big :lol:

I have a thesaurus on order :shifty:

Hugo, I'm going to chalk down our differing experiences as a good thing, and leave it at that. I do maintain the opinion that going from Fallout 3 straight to Borderlands isn't that smart.

Return to “Archive”